Spec me a new router

Soldato
I want to replace my Sky Q Hub with something that has VPN built in so i can access my CCTV. Any recommendations?

I'm currently using an Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC LR for the wifi.

Do you still need to extract the username and password to use third party routers with Sky? I remember having to do this last time a few years ago.

Thanks.

Soldato
You don’t necessarily need a new router if you want a VPN server to connect in to your home from external locations. I don’t know the Sky Q kit, but if you can port forward on it then a Raspberry Pi and http://www.pivpn.io/ will do what you want for a lot less outlay. Or of you already have a machine on all the time use a VM or docker container with similar and will cost you nothing.

Associate
You may have to keep the Sky router/modem as Sky wont give you the username and password to use your own, at least thats my experiance.

I have a BT router which im looking to turn into modem only mode and plug an Asus router into it so i can use a VPN.

Soldato
You may have to keep the Sky router/modem as Sky wont give you the username and password to use your own, at least thats my experiance.

I have a BT router which im looking to turn into modem only mode and plug an Asus router into it so i can use a VPN.

Your experience is outdated, even when it wasn’t, it was only a few minutes work to get them. For FTTC i’d suggest using an HG612 or ECI modem and be done with it.

Soldato
Your experience is outdated, even when it wasn’t, it was only a few minutes work to get them. For FTTC i’d suggest using an HG612 or ECI modem and be done with it.

Has anyone changed their Sky router and what did you use?

... pretty much any router (as opposed to modem+router) with the above. You can of course use a compatible combined unit, but it’s a more restrictive list and tends to limit things like 3rd party firmware support.

Associate
Never knew about that so cheers Avalon, I have a ECI modem here so just ordered a RT-AC86U that from my research needs changing over to merlins firmware and it will be all good, ill update this once it gets here.

Associate
Router arrived, connected it to the ECI modem, flashed router to the latest Asus firmware then latest Merlin firmware, changed WAN to automatic IP, put anything@skydsl|anypassword into the option 61 box, rebooted and thats it internets working, my connections gone up by 10Mbps on my download and 1Mbps on my upload and I actualy get a signal in ALL of my house on wifi now .

Associate
ECI B-Focus V2Fub/r Rev.B, Its a old open reach one from when sky used to use them, still had mine stashed in the attick.

From the research I did a lot of people recommend the Draytek Vigor 130 but the old open reach ones can be had for next to nothing, apparently the ECI modem will only work IF your connected to a ECI cabinet, the HG612 and Draytek will work on either cabinet type, find your cabinet type here https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm

Soldato
ECI B-Focus V2Fub/r Rev.B, Its a old open reach one from when sky used to use them, still had mine stashed in the attick.

From the research I did a lot of people recommend the Draytek Vigor 130 but the old open reach ones can be had for next to nothing, apparently the ECI modem will only work IF your connected to a ECI cabinet, the HG612 and Draytek will work on either cabinet type, find your cabinet type here https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm

Unless something has changed, that simply isn’t true. All of the ‘old’ OR FTTC modems have been dropped from the supported list, but I have at least one, possibly two in service on non ECI cabs, I keep meaning to swap them to HG612’s as I have spares, but it’s an 800 mile round trip, so that’s a no.

Associate
Unless something has changed, that simply isn’t true. All of the ‘old’ OR FTTC modems have been dropped from the supported list, but I have at least one, possibly two in service on non ECI cabs, I keep meaning to swap them to HG612’s as I have spares, but it’s an 800 mile round trip, so that’s a no.
Ah ok thanks for clarifying, I read that somewhere and had plans to change mine for the HG612 ready for when we move but good to know I dont have to.

Soldato
Were the old OR modems ever on the supported list? I was under the impression that they predate the approval process and that they didn't bother validating equipment that was no longer being supplied.

Soldato
Were the old OR modems ever on the supported list? I was under the impression that they predate the approval process and that they didn't bother validating equipment that was no longer being supplied.

Possibly not, but OR only officially stopped official firmware support in March this year, it’d been a good 2-3 years since one was ever issued under normal circumstances.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

The HG612 modems are only £16 anyway

Soldato
OP
The Draytek Vigor 130 has some good reviews.

I have found an additional router requirement. Do most home VPN routers allow full tunnelling? I want securely access the web on my mobile (Android) whilst using hotel WiFi etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom