Looking for upgrade suggestions

Associate
Hello folks! New to the forum but not to building rigs. It's time for an upgrade and I'm looking for some input. I've not really kept up with tech changes during the last few years, so I would be grateful for a bit of guidance.

My current rig first:

• Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
  • Intel i7-3960X
  • 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3
  • ASUS ROG GTX 1080 Ti RGB
  • ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 34" Monitor

My CPU is watercooled. I have an XSPC 5.25" reservoir and pump combo, an XSPC waterblock on the CPU (can't remember the exact model without looking inside) then an external 480 XSPC floor-standing radiator with 4 x Corsair SP120 fans. Overkill I know, but I've never had CPU temp issues.

GPU is not watercooled. I figured there was no real sense since I had no plans for SLI. Been there and done that years ago, probably won't consider it again.

I'm quite happy with my monitor. Took a while to get used to 3440x1440 but now that I have I'm happy to stick with it. The 100Hz refresh rate is adequate for me. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and even though I enjoy some FPS titles, 100 frames per second is more than enough for me.

Haven't really played any games that tax my GPU so far. I know it's not an RTX card, but are there really enough games utilising that tech to warrant getting rid of the 1080 Ti for a 2080 Ti, for example?

I've always been a bit of an Intel and Nvidia fan. I've heard rumours that AMD are closing the performance gap, and obviously there's no debating that AMD offers a bit more bang for your buck. But, I went AMD once before and had nothing but trouble. Once bitten, twice shy.

I guess I'm just looking for some ideas. The CPU is quite old now, although touch wood, I've not had any issues. To give some background on my day-to-day PC use, it's generally a mix of software development, with a bit of video rendering and 3D rendering with Blender. Otherwise, just the usual stuff.

Budget is not really a huge consideration. I would rather not spend thousands, so if possible just offer suggestions based on most practical upgrades from what I have.

Many thanks in advance.

Soldato
for Video rendering and depending if your 3D rendering is GPU or CPU based then ryzen 3700x might be worth a shout . Extra cores and performance . Whats your current i7 clocked to ?

also 1080ti is still a power house ! would personally stick it out till next year when nvidia drop 7nm products

hows your RAM percentage with your workloads ? reaching limits of 16gb with your work?

Back
Top Bottom