Back to Gaming - New PC feedback requested

Associate
Good day all who read this! I'm a very old overclockers UK customer, my first home built PC using a 333mhz cyrix chip and a voodoo gfx card

I have come back from a long time working away. When i left flood damage killed my old PC, which was OLD old, so i need to start right at the beginning with new case and everything inside - I have a 4k 27" monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Im willing to spend £1000-1300 unless a reason can be made for going over £1300 that really justifies itself.

What i am after: is a machine that will be able to play everything out now max detail at 1080p, i realise i have an old 4k monitor but its not that special. The plan: I have a few years to catch up on games ive not played in the last 3 years to date but be able to slip in a new GFX card in a rig that will hopefully still be decent enough to enable 4k gameplay in that future. And id like it to be quiet,well we all would, but i mean some sound damping and larger slower fans,perhaps water cooling for the cpu.

So to recap - a very capable PC today, a PC which will likely bottleneck the GFX card from the very start - then in a year or more spend a wad on top-of-the-line GFX card for 4k. Intel cpus, nvidia gfx.

Heres my shopping list as it stands now:
i5 8600k (pre-bin and overclocked from day one)
16gb 3000mhz memory
z390 mobo with wifi
m.2 ssd 250gb (maybe 500gb, i dont have many games on the go at the same time)
AIO 240mm dual fan cpu cooler
500W PSU modular
midi case - sound damped
nvidia 1660 ti ***** just to smash games at 1080p for a while

If some people reply and help tweek the build with the, iron our any obvious price pitfalls or other logical inouts - id love to get to the nitty gritty detail of actual specific parts and their possible compatibility.

Normally i would spend many months reading articles and watching you tube for benchmarks on certain components, while owning a PC to game on, i only have my slow work laptop so i thought why not ask overclockers uk and their increasing customer/fan base directly?

Thanks for reading,

A

Associate
Dont bother with an old intel platform especialy when its only 6c/6t.

***No SSD included in this build, google Sabrent Rocket and pick the size you want***
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,329.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)​
Including SSD you are looking at just shy of £1400.

Slightly over budget but will be worth it, all you have to do then is buy a new gaming monitor when you have the cash, the 5700xt will be great paired up with a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Case is there more for a monetary place holder as everyone has different tastes but i think £70 is representative of a standard good quality case.

Associate
OP
i want this machine to run cool and quiet, i have a phobia of AMD and ATI so ive been building intel ever since the p4. AMDs have in my experience always ran hot and noisy and ATI always ran into driver problems and sometimes a mix of the two.

I will be using a 970 evo 500 gig m.2 SSD, i'll add more storage depending on how i fill up that first drive. If drive performance isnt a driving factor in the future i'll opt for a large multi TB 7200 spinner driver, or if i need medium to fast it'll be a 1tb sata ssd say a WD green.

A bigger psu is certainly doable in this, i had left it out as a concern as if the GFX cards of the future are power hungry for 4k gaming if factor that into a psu and gfx card upgrade.

i5 9600k (@4.9ghz) £275
16gig 3000mhz corsair lpx £83
be quiet power 11 500 watt psu £65
h100i AIO cooler £120
ROG strix x390-e mobo £228
copy of windows 10 £100
tech lab sound dampened case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro case £108
1660ti gaming oc by gigabyte (3 fan super quiet) £300
970 evo plus polaris 500gig m.2 ssd £110
silver goo £7

£1400

I really have some deep hate for amd and ati, while i forced my self to be open minded, i read the post above and it just made me extremely anxious and full of doubt.

After a decent amount of research this setup would run reasonably quiet and on a 500W psu, i wouldnt OC the chip much if at all in the beginning due to the GFX bottleneck, but after X years be able to max out the CPU buy a new GFX card and psu and be playing 4k game at max settings

Last edited:
Soldato
You could get a 2060 or a 5700 for the price of that 1660ti, it is not a good buy. You're also over spending on that SSD, you could get a 1TB SSD for less money and despite the 'performance difference' you wouldn't be able to notice a difference in gaming.

You should seriously reconsider your aversion to AMD products, they're far better for the money you're spending and your intended purposes as of right now, the performance is genuinely excellent. If anything I'd be more concerned about the constant trend of security issues Intel has been having of late.

The build you're considering would technically meet your needs, but for the price I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

PS: You can get a Windows 10 licence for around a tenner, I wouldn't spend £100 on one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The build you're considering would technically meet your needs, but for the price I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

Thank you.

It would appear I have some more research to do.

should i even bother with m.2? or will a 1tb ssd sata drive do it all for the same money? any specific candidates?

one of the main reasons for that particular nvidia card is due to its extremely quiet operation, everything if been reading seems to indicate its very capable at 1080p, and its 100 quid cheaper than a 2060 - im avoiding the 20XX series because i dont want somthing that only just does 4k while being a watt-hog and noisy.

if theres a cheap card thats just as good im all ears.

Soldato
For gaming you'll not notice the difference between a high priced NvME drive and a slower SATA drive. Here's a link to something suitable, but hold in mind you could also get a 1TB version for roughly £100-110 if you shop around:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £58.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

I think you're possibly overly concerned about the potential for noise also, especially if you intend to get a noise dampened case.

Here's a decent reference for noise levels, while explaining impact of decibel measurements:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_5700_xt_gaming_x_review,11.html

It lists a lot of different cards, even if you're against buying an AMD GPU (and honestly I'd highly recommend you reconsider) it gives you a bunch of decent data you can cross-reference in your search for something suitable. If there isn't a specific brand/version listed, you can likely assume they're reference coolers.

Man of Honour
Here's a link to something suitable, but hold in mind you could also get a 1TB version for roughly £100-110 if you shop around:
not sure if serious. if you shop around, you can get a 1tb nvme ssd for exactly the same price.
why buy slower tech when one can get faster tech for the same price?

***No SSD included in this build, google Sabrent Rocket and pick the size you want***

Soldato
And id like it to be quiet,well we all would, but i mean some sound damping and larger slower fans,perhaps water cooling for the cpu.
No sense to waste budget into something not better in continuous cooling per noise than good cheaper heatpipe coolers.
It would need big expensive to match best heatpipe coolers.
Already Scythe Mugen 5 would beat majority of waterpipe coolers at mighty expensive £43 price.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html
And unless broken physically heatpipes operating using laws of physics don't fail.
Unlike waterpipe coolers having multiple wear mechanisms in the end killing cooling. And Mr. Murphy doing overtime scenario being another flood damage, just inside PC.

i want this machine to run cool and quiet, i have a phobia of AMD and ATI so ive been building intel ever since the p4.
I see your phobia is for good products and good performance per buck...

NetBurst/Pentium 4 was in the end pretty much the worst ever CPU architecture of Intel.
Starting by needing higher clocks than preceeding architecture for same performance is never good start.
Sure it got advantage over P3 with next iterations and advance of manufacturing tech.
But when AMD brought out Athlon 64, NetBurst was good only as space heater.
For three years AMD had performance lead over Intel and doing it with lot lower power consumption.
Worst of those NetBurst family CPUs were literally thermally throttling even at idle when using stock cooler!

To keep AMD CPUs out from PCs Intel used criminal means, which would have landed ordinary person in jail.
Not that Intel had been avoiding at the least semi-illegal and certainly very shady tactics even before:
http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/digest/intel-and-the-x86-architecture-a-legal-perspective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

Intel corrected their "high clocks will fix all ill" fiasco by completely scrapping NetBurst with Core 2.
Which was result of development line having more in common with Pentium 3 to make energy efficient CPU architecture for mobile use in laptops.
Core 2's high performance per clock and low consumption put AMD into playing catch up.
With Intel's tick-tock of architectural improvement and new manufacturing node in alternate years maintaining lead.
While AMD in its turn had made the same mistake of thinking that high clocks will compensate for anything.
Resulting in Bulldozer architecture making AMD just fall more behind.
And unlike Intel, AMD lacked bank account and illegal means to force their CPU into PCs making their sales keep falling resulting less revenue.
With also GPU side suffering from Intel business ethics copying Nvidia that kept making it harder for AMD to bring out competitive products.

But during that Intel got more arrogant, greedy and fatter, stopping pushing forward and focusing on milking every penny out of consumer.
Including stopping soldering heatspreader and switching to lot less thermally conducting standard bubblegum/toottpaste.
Neither there was any increase in core count from four, which had been reached in 2006!
Also Intel's manufacturing tech advance grinded to halt, no doubt because of major arrogance of top management.

With architectural designs being tightly couple into manufacturing tech that means Intel's clock hasn't said Tick or Tock in four years.
Despite of marketing advertising "9th" generation, latest CPUs are architecturally basically same 6th gen Skylake released in August 2015!
And with same manufacturing node, which has just been fine tuned and pushed for more clocks.

That has allowed AMD to basically catch Intel in single core performance with latest Zen2 CPUs even being made on more advanced (except for clock speeds) manufacturing node than Intels.
And in multithreaded performance Intel simply gets beaten by 12 core/32 thread Ryzen 3900X.
Against which Intel has only 8 core/16 thread Skylake rebranding.
Whose actual full load power consumption when chasing Intel's high clock speeds is more like 200W instead of marketing 95W!
Also unlike Intel changing sockets for rebranded CPU just to force people into buying new motherboard, AM4 motherboards will be BIOS update compatible with next year's improved Zen3 architecture CPUs.

Also Intel's image of secure quality products is nowadays just big empty lie.
Intel has never bothered to fix short cuts taken earlier in speculative code execution and as result CPUs need lots of BIOS and OS level band aid to plug vulnerabilities:
Just google for Intel + these: Meltdown, Spectre, Spoiler, Fallout, RIDL, Zombieload.
At the same time AMD's Zen uarch avoided those nearly completely from the start and Zen2 hardware fixed what little there was.

i5 9600k (@4.9ghz) £275

h100i AIO cooler £120

silver goo £7
Buying 6c/6t CPU now is simply buying Intel stagnation era hardware and it should be £200 level max.
6 cores is already slight bottleneck in some games, because of simply "lacking workers for all simultaneous tasks".
And if you have web browser etc. on background it just worsens.
And next-gen consoles coming in year will make it more inadequate.
Those will come with basically underclocked Ryzen 3700X.
With less overhead than in Wintoys10 PC that leaves like 7 cores/14 threads worth of processing power for game developers to find uses for.

Again PSU is medieval efficiency cheapo with cheap capacitors in cramped places not good for their cooling.
While then there's very expensive for performance marketing hype waterpipe cooler.
With not much longer reliable operating life expectancy than in that cheap PSU.
Cost levels should be otherway around and could easily shave £20 from both stickers.

And no amount of damping will help that case with that big honking hole in front leaking every slightest noise out unmuffled:
Such case is literally as quiet as completely open into street front door.

Samsung is another hype brand company overcharging for standard level warranty etc.
Warranty of lot cheaper Corsair MP510 continues up to 800TBW inside that 5 years.
While after 300TB of writes Samsung could show you mid finger and tell you invalidated warranty by using drive too much!

And in actual home use loading time wise there aren't even much of differences to "slow" SATA SSDs making paying super high GB prices waste of money:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nvme+ssd+hdd
Though for example Kingston has A2000 serie NVMe drives near SATA drive prices, making it obvious bang per buck choise.

Most thermal pastes bundled with heatsinks are nowadays equal to that Arctic Silverhype, which has been surpassed long time ago by newer pastes:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-9.html

Associate
So you have a phobia against AMD/Ati? lol well then your going to be spending more on intel and nvidia overpriced crap to do the same job as AMDs current stuff.
You would have to put a gun to my head to take an i5 over a 3600 lol, jesus thats hilarious. As for the 1660... the same gun as i would be wanting a 5700 or 5700xt.

Seriously have another think, the smart money these days.. for the now... is on the red team.

Soldato
not sure if serious. if you shop around, you can get a 1tb nvme ssd for exactly the same price.
why buy slower tech when one can get faster tech for the same price?

If you can get a 1tb NvME for the same price as a 1tb SATA drive by all means, but one of the OP's posts had a 500gb model for that much.

If you can find a 500gb NvME for the price I listed by all means link it.

Totally for getting a faster drive if it's for the same cost, don't get me wrong, I'm just not for spending double when there's no noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm referring to his post here:

i5 9600k (@4.9ghz) £275
16gig 3000mhz corsair lpx £83
h100i AIO cooler £120
ROG strix x390-e mobo £228
copy of windows 10 £100
1660ti gaming oc by gigabyte (3 fan super quiet) £300
silver goo £7

Which is what my earlier response pertained too.

Hands up that you can get an NvME for the same price though, definitely go for that. I'll hold that in mind for future.

Man of Honour
@Gray2233 i was directly answering your question.

sabrent rocket 512gb nvme ssd is the same price as your wd blue 500gb sata3 ssd >.>
e: heck it's cheaper if you consider cost-per-gb as it's 512gb rather than "just" 500gb

Soldato
@Gray2233 i was directly answering your question.

sabrent rocket 512gb nvme ssd is the same price as your wd blue 500gb sata3 ssd >.>

I realised, my last post was edited when you responded. lol

It's fine, as I said if you can get a good NvME for the same price absolutely go for that instead.

My apologies for any confusion.

Soldato
only chimed in to give advice for OP. ;)

(other members done the intel/nvidia vs amd shenannigans talk already lol :D)

Haha.

It's absolutely cool, I've learned a little something myself so you've done my favour too! I really wasn't aware NvME drives could be had at such a good price.

More important to make sure the OP gets the best advice he can.

Man of Honour
@Gray2233 yeah sabrent rocket is stonking value. used to be the corsair mp510, but sabrent has well and truly overtaken it for value...if i needed to buy my nvme ssds again today, the rockets would be what i'd buy

no point considering sata 3 ssd unless xyz member 100% wants to buy from ocuk only (silly silly)

Soldato
@tamzzy I totally agree, it's something I'll be keeping in mind for any future recommendations.

I always advise shopping around anyway, the only real potential advantage sticking to OCUK offers is free delivery if you've sufficient forum posts, and it's an advantage shared by many other stores without such a requirement.

Back
Top Bottom