Sony GDM-FW900

Associate
has anyone seen anywhere that still sells these monitors. Can only find em on fleebay and only in the states and they dont ship to the uk (not suprising given its weight). figured this would be ok on this forum given OcUK doesn't sell this. (its a 24" widescreen CRT for those that don't know)

Soldato
Mainly fleebay. Gonna be hard pushed to find one being sold by a refurb company.
I bought a couple of these the other day for 100 quid (One of the monitors contrast was a little off).

Man they weighed a ton. But sold straight on since they just take up TOO much deskspace.

Associate
OP
reading some old review I think this would be a great gaming monitor assuming you have the desk space (which I do). currently got a dell 24" lcd but having come from a good hp 22" crt i can see the faults that lcd's still have (naative image resolution, contrast ratio etc).

Soldato
I was after one not long ago but eventually decided against it, saw one go for £112 but obviously no warranty and could break tomorrow etc.

Also the refresh rates aren't quite as high as some of the better 21/22" screens which is a real shame too.

Soldato
I got one 6 months ago and it's great. A recyling place in Hamilton, for £36. He had another 5 or so, all with a very slight damage to the antiglare coating on the screen.

With a 7800GTC I can make it go 1360x768 at 150Hz, and 100Hz at 1600x1200 and then to 85Hz at the highest 2048x1536.

Man of Honour
Without doubt, the BEST monitor you can buy.

Got 3 on this desk at the moment and another undergoing repairs and another being used for spares.

Very large, VERY heavy, but superb in every way.

Using a 2900XT at the moment and running 2 of them at 2048x1536 and the last isn't running at the moment because the smoke escaped from my laptop that it normally connects to. :(

Nowhere really sells them anymore. Get in touch with any local design or art centers see if they have any they are planning to dispose of and offer to give them a few quid for them. Other than that - fleabay

If you're planning on getting one - check the amount of weight your desk can handle. I reinforced mine with steel brackets and rods.

Simon/~Flibster

Permabanned
Would a "top end" CRT monitor be in perfect condition now? What about convergence and geometry? PSU condition?

You're not going to get a brand new unused/low hours so not sure such a great idea..

Permabanned
You actually can, but in USA, 1 peep has them, 300 hours, Grade A screen + Grade A case and fully recalibrated Geo with screens to show.

Problem is they sell for $795+$120 flat rate shippiing in USA.

Soldato
Given how much monitors have gone down the toilet, I'm surprised someone hasn't decided to resurrect CRTs ha! They'd sell like hotcakes!! :D

Soldato
I got rid of one a few years back. It remains the best gaming monitor I've owned/seen, but my interest in gaming was waning and it needed some repairs. Sad thing was no one was willing to pick up the beast and it ended up down the tip. I also had a 32" hd CRT in the living room that met the same fate. Even the best panels money can buy now couldn't match these now ancient displays in various ways.

Soldato
has anyone seen anywhere that still sells these monitors. Can only find em on fleebay and only in the states and they dont ship to the uk (not suprising given its weight). figured this would be ok on this forum given OcUK doesn't sell this. (its a 24" widescreen CRT for those that don't know)

Haha! did you watch the digital foundry episode?

Back
Top Bottom