Increase tyre profile, will it rub?

Associate
Can I (will a garage) fit 195/55 R16 tyres in place of existing 195/45 R16?

Will they rub?

I am aware that the speedo will read 2-3 mph lower with the higher profile tyre than with the original profile.

Long question.
I’d really like to fit some all season Michelin cross climate tyres to our Fiesta, but Ford and Michelin don’t line up when it comes to tyre sizes. The Fiesta 16” wheel specifies a odd and limited tyre size of 195/45 or 195/50 officially.

Michelin (and a lot of other manufacturers) only start their R16 stuff at 55 profile in 195, why?

Soldato
(I've got my eyes on those as well .. but too much tread currently.)

I'd think - if it's a narrower tyre, need taller sidewall, conserving a large cross-section to avoid the tyre deforming undesirably under loads,
unless they constructed the smaller ones differently, potentially making them more expensive.

... don't know if you might have to tell insurance if they do fit.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
We had a fiesta with those size tyres, also had the same problem, we ended up using Continental WinterContact TS860. You can now get Vredestein Quatrac 5 in that size though, maybe worth a look.
WinterContacts are by far and away the best winter tyres anyway. Depending on mileage, OP could just run those all year long. All-season tyres are the worst of worlds IME.

Associate
OP
We had a fiesta with those size tyres, also had the same problem, we ended up using Continental WinterContact TS860. You can now get Vredestein Quatrac 5 in that size though, maybe worth a look.

That is good to know, but I'd like to avoid a full winter tyre if possible all year round even though the Fiesta is the least used car mileage wise. In bad and wintery weather though it will be the car used.
It's probably more of a mental block as I've done the whole switching tyres twice a year and the winters didn't wear too badly overall.

It's just that the Michelin cross climate reviews so well as a good (not excellent) warm weather wet tyre, that can if necessary handle some snow and ice.

The -6% speedo error isn't too bad, it's the 19.5mm arch gap loss and ride height gain that is most worrying - is this too much?

Sadly I don't know a friendly local tyre fitter I could ask for a comparison.

Associate
The Continental AllSeasonContact tops the all season tyre tests now doesn't it? That's available in 195/50/16 so not as much of a difference in diameter

mjt

mjt

Soldato
That is good to know, but I'd like to avoid a full winter tyre if possible all year round even though the Fiesta is the least used car mileage wise. In bad and wintery weather though it will be the car used.
It's probably more of a mental block as I've done the whole switching tyres twice a year and the winters didn't wear too badly overall.

It's just that the Michelin cross climate reviews so well as a good (not excellent) warm weather wet tyre, that can if necessary handle some snow and ice.

The -6% speedo error isn't too bad, it's the 19.5mm arch gap loss and ride height gain that is most worrying - is this too much?

Sadly I don't know a friendly local tyre fitter I could ask for a comparison.
If you have a place to store tyres, just get a set of steel wheels and winters.

Associate
OP
The Continental AllSeasonContact tops the all season tyre tests now doesn't it? That's available in 195/50/16 so not as much of a difference in diameter

Sadly no, not the exact size.

However, Continental do make a 215/45 R16 in the AllSeasonContact which is only -3% out vs the origional with a 9mm gain :D (results)

They are a bit pricy though, £35 more than the best fit 195s

Can't have it all I guess!

Associate
Sadly no, not the exact size.

However, Continental do make a 215/45 R16 in the AllSeasonContact which is only -3% out vs the origional with a 9mm gain :D (results)

They are a bit pricy though, £35 more than the best fit 195s

Can't have it all I guess!

They are definitely available in 195/50/16

For example: https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyr.../195-50-R16-88V-XL---mit-Felgenrippe/R-389453

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/continental-allseasoncontact-195-50-r16-88-v-xl-fr#266979063

Back
Top Bottom