Dealing with Cancer

Soldato
OP
I lost my mum very quickly end of march, it gets better but don't be surprised if it just comes over you at the most random times, I can be sat in work and suddenly get the worst sense of sadness then 10 minutes later I am fine. its apparently perfectly normal but it doesn’t feel like it at the time.

Thanks for the heads up m8

Soldato
Ah man sorry for your loss. Stomach cancer does seem to progress remarkably quickly I knew someone went to hospital complaining of pains was told bluntly by the doc in his bed in a ward in front of a bunch of medical students that he had stomach cancer and had 6 months to live. Or was it 4? I can't remember. Anyway he certainly didn't last any longer. :(

Soldato
I had testicular cancer and had the testicle removed pretty swiftly once they found out. Luckily it didn't spread. I don't feel I was affected by it as much, I was in and out of hospital same day. Perhaps it has some subconscious effects but I'm not sure, it was scary at first when I was told what it was and I was on my own, and when I went for operation, I hate operations.

Soldato
Had a bad day yesterday, The mother in law has been dealing with cancer and treatments for a few years, over the last year it seemed to be getting better with scan results showing minimal cancer in the lung, Yesterday she had new scan results and we were told its basically in her from head to toe and her life expectancy has gone from 5 years down to 16 months.... The wife's head is all over the place and this morning when I woke up I can tell today is going to be a struggle for her.... I try my best to support her but I'm no good at talking and feel useless...

Has anybody got any words of wisdom or help to give me as I don't want the wife thinking I don't care?

I put up a front all the time, never show emotion and find it hard to talk even if it's a issue I have myself

Associate
Had a bad day yesterday, The mother in law has been dealing with cancer and treatments for a few years, over the last year it seemed to be getting better with scan results showing minimal cancer in the lung, Yesterday she had new scan results and we were told its basically in her from head to toe and her life expectancy has gone from 5 years down to 16 months.... The wife's head is all over the place and this morning when I woke up I can tell today is going to be a struggle for her.... I try my best to support her but I'm no good at talking and feel useless...

Has anybody got any words of wisdom or help to give me as I don't want the wife thinking I don't care?

I put up a front all the time, never show emotion and find it hard to talk even if it's a issue I have myself

A simple act of holding a hand or giving a hug can make the world of difference words aren't always required.

Soldato
My Step brother has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. They first thought he had 5yrs to live, but due to the stage it's at now they've given him a max of 3. He's in his 40s, his daughters are 9 and 14. Can't imagine what that's like. We're trying to raise as much as possible to make that 3yrs turn to 6, as long as he can get the treatment he needs, but ultimately he is going to die and there is no way around that. I'm a bit numb to it really. It doesn't seem real. Really puts everything you do in life into perspective.

Soldato

A simple act of holding a hand or giving a hug can make the world of difference words aren't always required.
Yes very much this. It is remarkable what a hand holding or a hug can portray from someone that doesnt show emotions much.

Soldato
OP
the only advice i can give to friends and family of newly diagnosed
is to accept you personally have no control over the disease.
you can only support the person on their journey whatever the outcome.
I just hope you all have a decent outcome.

Soldato
OP
Couple of days and this disease will have taken my dad 2 months ago.
doesn't feel that long but also feels like he's been gone a long time, odd huh.
I've been coping quite well, had some bad days but on the whole i have accepted it.
This week has been a bit tough as i have been off work and the weather has been pants
so I've not been able to do much outside so been thinking to much.

How is everyone else getting along?

Associate
  • Lost my nan to it and my dad is going through chemo for it now

Was diagnosed myself with it 6 years ago and am now cancer free but it has left me with chronic infection that means I will have my right leg amputated at the hip sometime in the future

On the plus side I'll get a blue badge for my car so not all doom and gloom

Soldato
OP
  • Lost my nan to it and my dad is going through chemo for it now

Was diagnosed myself with it 6 years ago and am now cancer free but it has left me with chronic infection that means I will have my right leg amputated at the hip sometime in the future

On the plus side I'll get a blue badge for my car so not all doom and gloom

Sorry to hear about your nan and I wish your dad
Success in his treatment.

will you 100% have to have the leg off in the future?

Back
Top Bottom