SB Kratos S5 - Soundcard & 3.5mm OR USB

Associate
Hi,

Currently using a Sound Blaster Z & AE Aego M's, which have finally given out after around 8 years). I'm looking at just a decent set of 2.1's & the Kratos S5 seem to get good reviews.

I've done some research and see that a lot of speakers now have USB & their own Sound Card - sounds cool & makes sense given it's outside of the internal PC system.

I guess my question would be; for sound quality / overall experience, would I be better:

1. Remove my Soundcard & connect the Kratos by USB & use the Kratos software
2. Keep the soundcard & connect the Kratos by 3.5mm and use the existing software

Open to either option, as I'm sure a lot's changed since I last purchased these AE Aego M's.

Thanks Guys!

Soldato
I wouldn't touch those Creative speakers with a bargepole. Seen too many people have trouble with them. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-hissing-static-sound.18819703/#post-32437389

Aego M were really good 2.1 speakers. Nothing comes close sadly. Most 2.1 speakers are cheaply made over priced rubbish.

Better to get a decent pair of stereo speakers in my opinion. Not as much bass, but you'll get far better sound than any 2.1 set for £100.

Associate
OP
cool thanks man.

Well - I went and got new cables (proper HiFi ones) and the speakers work again & sound great! plus - no static hissing.

Hopefully they stay working! must have been eroded cables or something?

Soldato
Well that is a pleasant surprise. When you said they'd given up, I thought they had really had it. :p

Good job you decided to try new cables before spending money on something else. Goes to show; always best to really test something in all possible ways before spending money on a replacement.

Could have been oxidisation on the cables causing the problem.

Real shame they no longer make those Aego M speakers. You might have seen Acoustic Energy released the Aego 3 a few years ago to replace the Aego M; but they are pretty much the same speakers with a face lift and a price hike to boot.

Associate
OP
Yeah I thought they'd had it as it sounded more like the speaker dying than cable interference; but yeah always try all options I guess! had them since 2011 so hopefully get another 8 years :p

yeah I did see the 3 model - didn't like the look of it either.

Back
Top Bottom