Case fan recommendations

Soldato
Morning all,

I'm looking at buying a bunch of case fans but not sure what to go for.
I think I'll be getting a Lian Li Lancool one or the Lancool two when it releases in November.

I want to make it flow as good as possible so I'm thinking:

3 fans at the front (Intake)
2/3 fans on the roof of the case (Exhaust)
2 fans on on the floor (Intake)
1 fan at rear (exhaust)

So I guess looking at 9 fans in total. I may not fit them all though and have one or two as a backup.

Any recommendations or opinions on my plan?

Edit to add: Not fussed at all about RGB.

Associate
I'm using Be Quiet silent wings 3 and am very happy with both noise and cooling performance, they're not cheap though, maybe a little too much if you want nine of them.

Soldato
OP
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £62.25 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Cheapest fan I can recommend. I've used the 92 & 80mm fan variants for almost 4 years & they are quiet.

Great! Thanks, Will check them out!

I'm using Be Quiet silent wings 3 and am very happy with both noise and cooling performance, they're not cheap though, maybe a little too much if you want nine of them.

I did look at them but you may be right. Looks like £10 each fan. I may go with it though as I've got a BeQuiet cooler now so just for the OCD :D

Associate
Shop around for the value packs of these (5 in a pack).
This. Bought the value pack, but the 14cm ones, was less than 4 pounds each fan at the end. Using 10 of them, and 5 phanteks from the enthoo primo included. The phanteks are quieter, sure, but as I'm using the p14 for the radiators as push/pull, don't need to go even at 50% of their speed for good results. Going any faster hasn't improved anything, pretty much as cool as I can get the system.

Soldato
Morning all,

I'm looking at buying a bunch of case fans but not sure what to go for.
I think I'll be getting a Lian Li Lancool one or the Lancool two when it releases in November.

I want to make it flow as good as possible so I'm thinking:

3 fans at the front (Intake)
2/3 fans on the roof of the case (Exhaust)
2 fans on on the floor (Intake)
1 fan at rear (exhaust)

So I guess looking at 9 fans in total. I may not fit them all though and have one or two as a backup.

Any recommendations or opinions on my plan?

Edit to add: Not fussed at all about RGB.
There is a good chance you won't need exhaust fan, just intakes. Having both intake and exhaust on case is like having push/pull on cooler or radiator .. it only makes a couple degrees difference. Arctic P PWM PST seem to be doing okay and are low priced. Also, removing all PCIe back slot covers usually improve front to back airflow around GPU and thus lowers temps not only on GPU but also CPU.

Soldato
OP
There is a good chance you won't need exhaust fan, just intakes. Having both intake and exhaust on case is like having push/pull on cooler or radiator .. it only makes a couple degrees difference. Arctic P PWM PST seem to be doing okay and are low priced. Also, removing all PCIe back slot covers usually improve front to back airflow around GPU and thus lowers temps not only on GPU but also CPU.

Ok, sounds good to me then! I think as long as I get a good flowing case and a good setup of fans, I should be good!

Soldato
Looking at buying the Arctic P12's today online. Do I need a fan splitter/Commander?
That's kinda like saying you are looking to buy a new car and asking if you need new tires. :D

All depends on how many fans you plan to use and how many fan headers your motherboard has.

Soldato
OP
That's kinda like saying you are looking to buy a new car and asking if you need new tires. :D

All depends on how many fans you plan to use and how many fan headers your motherboard has.

Haha This is true! A bit of a dopey question to be fair!
Motherboard has 7 fan headers I believe. I'll not bother buying one just now until I decide on how many fans I need in a new case. I gather any half decent PWM fan hub would be fine?

Soldato
Haha This is true! A bit of a dopey question to be fair!
Motherboard has 7 fan headers I believe. I'll not bother buying one just now until I decide on how many fans I need in a new case. I gather any half decent PWM fan hub would be fine?
Indeed PWM hubs work well and most are 'have decent'. ;) Just make sure it's just a simple hub that splits PWM signal and uses PSU power .. might want to check power plug id Molex or SATA to match on what your PSU has.

Soldato
OP
Indeed PWM hubs work well and most are 'have decent'. ;) Just make sure it's just a simple hub that splits PWM signal and uses PSU power .. might want to check power plug id Molex or SATA to match on what your PSU has.

Good to know if I ever require one then! Thanks Doyll.

If you get the PST version as linked above you can daisy chain them together and run several fans from one mb fan header.

Is this an option extra for Daisy chaining or is one included in the 5 pack?

Soldato
Good to know if I ever require one then! Thanks Doyll.

Is this an option extra for Daisy chaining or is one included in the 5 pack?
The PST version has both male and female plug/socket so 2nd fan can be plugged into 1st, 3rd to 2nd, etc. I wouldn't run more than 3 fans on one fan header. Fan running load amp rating is fraction of how much of what fan pulls starting up or if something is stopping it from spinning while powered on. Ever notice most motherboard fan header or fan controller failures happen when system is started? It's because of the much higher amp load during startup. ;) Best way to show this is Nidec-servo specs for Gentle Typhoon fans in link below.
7845dc16_D1225Cratingvsstarting.x-ms-bmp

Back
Top Bottom