• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 3600 REALLY low cinenbech scores (940) and game FPS

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'd really appreciate some help! I built a new pc yesterday and I'm having some issue with CPU performance.

R5 3600 stock cooler
MSI b450 gaming plus max updated bios
16gb Corsair 3200mhz vengeance
650w corsair vs650
RX 5700 xt evoke

Put it all together out of the case, it ran fine. 3k+ cinebench r20 score, temps all fine. 300 fps solid on CSGO 1080p all ultra

Put it all into the case, loaded up PUBG and all of a sudden huge frame drops checked task manager and the CPU is running at 0.45ghz, it kept doing this randomly in and out of game and just staying there until a restart or bios change, tried everything, couldn't fix it so I did a fresh install.

The low speeds have stopped now but I'm only getting 940 cinebench scores and 100-150 fps in CSGO. Ive reinstalled all the latest drivers. I've stress tested and all core are loading and getting voltage. CPU doesn't go over 60c at max load (which worries me because I know the temps should be higher. Also the max speed I've seen is 4.07 I've never seen it boost to 4.2?

I'm guessing something fried? but I don't know how to work out if its PSU/CPU/Mobo?

Please help! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
install hwinfo 64 and re run tests, your psu the vs650w isnt the greatest unit for long term, as fred above sugesstes shut down and check you system over and make sure everythings plugged in especally the cpu fan, check nothings getting stuck in the fan preventing it from spinning.

also check windows power managmant and change from power saver or balanced to high performance or amd ryzen high performance.

do all of the above and see if things improve

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input! I've checked everything over and over and still having issues. Do you suggest I order a better PSU and test with that before sending any parts back? When I looked into PSUs I thought that 650w would be fine, could it be falling short?

I'm running the pc barebones at the moment to test, only essentials are plugged in but everything is snug.

Updated the bios back to the latest version and got 894 in cinebench :( HWinfo grabs below after running prime for 5 mins:

Soldato
in your post above in hwifo64 does the ram usage always sit above 95% or is that from prime95? temps look really good and checking psu voltages all look ok, i have the vs 650w as a backup just in case anything breaks, its a ok unit but not what i'd use as its only bronze certified, if you have a spare worth checking but your current unit should be ok.

did you change the windows power plan to high performance?

when you had it out of the case what psu did you use, may be worth pulling it appart again and check standoff posisions, if any in wrong place could be very bad news for the board and anything attached to it, also make sure the i/o sheild isnt sticking into any ports at the back of the mobo as that will cause short circits

Soldato
you have the msi 5700 xt evoke?, whats the airflow to it? if i recall gamersnexus said the gddr6 and vrm temps were very high due to the thermal pads were around a 6th of the size they needed to be, because the card was in a open test bench senario before it had enough air to work and not overheat, but in a case its very mportant with that card to have a lot of airflow to it?

if you can see what temps your card is hitting (hwinfo64) as that may impact gaming performance, if your cpu still has issues may be worth borrowing a psu from a freind (ideally a plus gold rating) and see if the problem goes away

edit: just visted msi's website and looking at your card it recommends a 750w unit as the card at full chat pulls 225w, not including overclocking the card

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Radeon-RX-5700-XT-EVOKE-OC/Specification

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Pulled everything out of the case and get it back on top of the mobo box with the anti static bag.

Hasn't helped, cinebench is still only getting 900 ish score - should be way into the 3000's. At this point im thinking it isn't software related but I don't know how to determine if it's a damaged CPU/Mobo/PSU - Im going to Prime a new PSU and test that. Power setting is AMD high performance.

THe GFX card is fine temp wise from what I can tell. Cinebench doesn't even get it hot enough to spin up the fans and the ram temps are in the 50's

Temps are all fine when running Cinebench and stress tests on both Mobo and CPU - But the CPU is pulling low wattage right?:

temps.png

Soldato
It could be the CPU not getting enough volts and not boosting, I would reset the BIOS to default settings and run CineBench again. Also check the CPU 8 pin is plugged in. I would expect that CPU to be @ 75C+ running Cinebench.

Soldato
you rams on the warm side to be fair i read here that ddr4 temps shouldnt hit more than 75 degrees plase correct me if wrong, i have 3600mhz quad kit which are all sat next to each other on my x570 and max teps i see are in the low 40's under load, my idle temps are in the low 30's, from all the screen shots from hwinfo everything looks to be in check, but as you say the cpu package power is a little low at 48w but we are on 7nm so power draw is going to be signifigantly lower than 2nd gen ryzen or anything from intel, does your board have a 8pin cpu power connector or a 4 pin?

have you set docp (xmp) in bois and if have you left the ram alone timming wise, worth checking the qvl list to make sure your ram will work with that board regardless of which bios or cpu is installed, i did read online that anything below x570 stil has issues with high ram speeds aka using a b450/x370/x470 with updated bios'es its getting better but worth mentioing.

still though dosnt really narrow down why your pc has devoloped issues, have you looked behind your board for any scortch, burn marks?
lastly did you check the stand off's in your case and made sure they are in the correct places.

edit: somethings up with your cpu it should pull around 150w under sustained load and hit around 4ghz average on all cores, looking above in the post your cpu does it around 4ghz but at 48w somethings not right, also having edge open, 13 tabs will impact performance quite a bit look at taskmanager above, edge is taking 737mb of avalible ram, that kind of use will shave a few hundread points off a cinebench run

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help and input.

I've primed a new PSU 750w evga gold rated. I'll test with that tomorrow. When I installed the mobo it all on the correct stand off points, one wasn't used (bottom corner) as the didn't have enough stand offs.

Will check the bottom of the board for damage. If the PSU doesnt fix the issues I guess I habe to send back the cpu and mobo because its impossible to tell what's faulty. I'm hoping the PSU was bad and the 8 pin connection isn't getting enought juice. It's an 8 pin and it was connected properly.

Really disheartening have been looking forward to playing the latest games!

Cheers all

Soldato
Can't see it mentioned (sorry if so) but have you tried re-seating the CPU and memory and doing a complete fresh install of Windows? Also I can't see it mentioned but have you tried resetting the cmos, loading optimised defaults (leave everything else alone) and seeing what results you get? The CPU power you are seeing under load almost looks like the CPU is in some kind of low power state (although not idling) or there is some kind of power limit being applied.

For what its worth I have a Ryzen 2600 (same TDP as your 3600) boosting fine under the stock Wraith stealth using a Corsair VS450.

Associate
OP
Can't see it mentioned (sorry if so) but have you tried re-seating the CPU and memory and doing a complete fresh install of Windows? Also I can't see it mentioned but have you tried resetting the cmos, loading optimised defaults (leave everything else alone) and seeing what results you get? The CPU power you are seeing under load almost looks like the CPU is in some kind of low power state (although not idling) or there is some kind of power limit being applied.

For what its worth I have a Ryzen 2600 (same TDP as your 3600) boosting fine under the stock Wraith stealth using a Corsair VS450.

Hey thanks for the reply, yep I've reseated the cpu and tried the ram in all different slots, same outcome. I've reset the Bois and flashed in multiple new bois's, I've tried with and without xmp and different power plan settings, all still getting the low cinebench scores and game fps.

Will update the treat when I've tested with the new PSU.

If anyone reading this has input about whether they think it's a mobo or cpu issue please let me know because I don't want to send the wrong part pack if the PSU doesn't fix the issue

Associate
I will be surprised if this is the PSU to be honest.
Is this a clean install of the OS? not moved over from another build or anything?
Is windows reading the correct cores ect?

Associate
OP
I will be surprised if this is the PSU to be honest.
Is this a clean install of the OS? not moved over from another build or anything?
Is windows reading the correct cores ect?

Hey, yep fresh install, built from scratch, fresh HD. Installed windows twice now. All cores showing in windows but haven't seen any of them boose past 4ghz yet, also power draw seems low on the cpu. I'm hoping the PSU is bad and the 8pin connector isn't getting enough power.

Fingers crossed! Should be solid build when it's all working! Csgo is running in the mid 100 fps at the moment but it was running at 300 solid previously. Issues started whe I launched pubg, huge fps lag, checks cpu and I was running at 0.54ghz, that kept happening until the fresh install of the os. But the performance is super low now, cinebench is saying my 3600 is on par with i5 5xxx.... And lower, 900 score in cinebench should be mid 3000s

Back
Top Bottom