Ad Astra (2019)

Associate
It’s okay...slow, long scenes and lots of close up of Pitt’s face.

A lot of the events in the journey even when I’m watching it felt tacked on, they are irrelevant in terms of story except to give it excitement and show us what a competent and calm pro Pitt’a character is, together with the constant psychological tests.

Looks great on the big screen though, I do think it’s worth watching it for that as it won’t be the same at home.

Saw it last night and had so many plot holes big enough that you could drive a bus through them. There were many scenes that just had no point and were never given any real relevance to the plot or ever mentioned again. The psych tests were there as a filler to pad out the film with extra dialogue. Not going to mention the journey times at the end or Captain America's shield equivalent. :mad:

Glad I saw it with an unlimited card. I cannot fathom how it gets 5x reviews. 3/10 for me. Pants. But at least we are getting more sci-fi now.

Soldato
Went to see this last night, it was just so bad :(

If it was trying to be "2001", "Interstellar" or the "Martian" then it failed on just about every single level. It was just so very boring, I think they realised this and tried to spice it up with some "space monkeys", but it was all so contrived and so "out of pace" with the rest of the film is was laughable.

HEADRAT

Soldato
Saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Easy 7.5/10 for me. Brad Pitt was great in it, visuals were top notch, sporadic actions scenes just right.

Loved how the further he travelled from earth the more run down/basic the space stations got i.e. from Earth, to the Moon, to Mars (Mars was grim and depressing!...that recording room was awful and claustrophobic!)

Associate
Ad Astra - 3/10

Pre expectations
Had high hopes for this movie , was expecting edge of your seat stuff but was anything the sort. I had high expectations from the likes of interstellar and gravity.

Summary
Very boring , drawn out and a movie that never really got going. Plot virtually none existant.Visually stunning in parts but wouldn't recommend it at all.

Avoid at all costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Easy 7.5/10 for me. Brad Pitt was great in it, visuals were top notch, sporadic actions scenes just right.

Loved how the further he travelled from earth the more run down/basic the space stations got i.e. from Earth, to the Moon, to Mars (Mars was grim and depressing!...that recording room was awful and claustrophobic!)

I enjoyed it as well though I do have a couple of criticisms.

Unless I missed it they never mentioned why they had, what seemed like, earth like gravity in the building on the Moon. The rover chase and fight on the Moon seemed pointless considering there was very little in the film about the conflicts. The Captain getting killed by the monkey seemed superfluous and there could have been simpler ways to kill him off if they actually needed to, though it didn't seem like they did to me. They seemed to burn at the Moon and not where it was going to be (I play KSP so am an "expert" in orbital mechanics ;) )

Other than that I really enjoyed it. I found it a lot less tedious that Solaris.

Caporegime
I enjoyed it as well though I do have a couple of criticisms.

Unless I missed it they never mentioned why they had, what seemed like, earth like gravity in the building on the Moon. The rover chase and fight on the Moon seemed pointless considering there was very little in the film about the conflicts. The Captain getting killed by the monkey seemed superfluous and there could have been simpler ways to kill him off if they actually needed to, though it didn't seem like they did to me. They seemed to burn at the Moon and not where it was going to be (I play KSP so am an "expert" in orbital mechanics ;) )

Other than that I really enjoyed it. I found it a lot less tedious that Solaris.

The whole moon section is pointless in terms of plot. It doesn’t delay Pitt in any way at all, the characters who die is irrelevant and undeveloped. The only thing I think they did that section is to add a little excitement to the movie to make things more interesting, perhaps a tiny bit to show that Brad can handle things even in war. It seems the entire movie they kept repeating how calm Pitt’s character is until the moment when his heart rate goes high.

Caporegime
Just got back. 5/10 for upto leaving Mars.

What a sack of crap. A pretty sack, but that ending? That middle, that story?

I guess he was tripping space zero g balls..... try hard, bs Philosophical etc etc.
At least I want to interpret it so..
space monkeys looooooooooool, projectile weapons on a spaceship..... Space monkeys......loool

Ok it's the morning now, I might be wrong about the guns, laser guns?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Saw it last night with a mate and we both thought it was decent. I don't think it was interstellar decent, but the actors were more fitting for the characters and their roles than in Gravity. All three movies employ elements of actual physics and science behind what it's like in the vacuum of space and it was stunning seeing the Lunar scenes especially and the opening Space Antennae segment.

I'd give it a 6.5 to 7/10 for cinematics and characters but it loses points for not being anything unique and also some unexplained plot holes such as:

Yes the moon is borderless and there is a war on resources going on, but who were the pirates attacking them and how did they get access to the same vehicles and weapons as SpaceCom?

Why did SPace Com pass the psych evaluation for the captain that bottled it? The evals seemed to use AI to determine eligibility for each mission for each person, so an AI would have picked this up.

A few things didn't make sense about the anti-matter reaction causing the radiation bursts...

Caporegime
Jesus i just re watched interstellar, after the discussion here and Good god its really good. I dont know why i was so meh with it first time around. Maybe the length? Maybe the uncomfortable cinema seat? Maybe ive just grown up emotionally :p
Crying at the end. 2nd time round.

Soldato
Jesus i just re watched interstellar, after the discussion here and Good god its really good. I dont know why i was so meh with it first time around. Maybe the length? Maybe the uncomfortable cinema seat? Maybe ive just grown up emotionally :p
I think it really hits you the second, third time around as well. The more I think about that movie I think it's nigh-on perfect. A modern masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UmRtfP3b8E it was a mistake to click this at work :o:(

Soldato

One of my favourite films and one of the only films to make me suffer from someone cutting onions in the cinema

One of the films I wish I could forget to watch again

Back
Top Bottom