Is this Cat6 cable external?

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Hi folks,

Just a quick backstory....
I've been having an issue with internet so Openreach have agreed to install a new line to the property, as part of this we have needed to get someone in to put cat5/6 cable from where they will install the connection to, over the roof and into the back of the property where they are going to put the master socket. Openreach 'aren't allowed' to go up and over, but can connect to a cable already there.....

So I've had someone come around and install some external cat6 cable, it looks pretty thin though? Could someone who knows these things put my mind at ease before I pay the bloke? :D

This link is the cable data-sheet determined from the writing on the cable;

https://tdigroup.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/CAT6-COP-305_Datasheet.pdf

Soldato
No, if it's violet, it's an LSZH cable which is for internal use only. That is also a Euroclass Eca cable, so you wouldn't want ever to install it internally either.

That is not an external grade cable, and it will deteriorate over time.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
OP
No, if it's violet, it's an LSZH cable which is for internal use only. That is also a Euroclass Eca cable, so you wouldn't want ever to install it internally either.

That is not an external grade cable, and it will deteriorate over time.

Sorry, it's a white cable but that's all I could find. This is the picture of the cable.

5siqPsf.jpg

Sui

Sui

Soldato
OP
Hmmm thanks folks, I gave him a ring and he said it's UV protected and waterproof...

I've emailed the manufacturers to ask, will have to wait and see.

Soldato
External cable has a tougher jacket, as well as being UV resistant. Depending on where it's fitted that may, or may not, be of importance.

Why did you decide to use network cable for this? I'm sure it'll work, but it isn't what BT would be using if they were willing to run the cable.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
OP
External cable has a tougher jacket, as well as being UV resistant. Depending on where it's fitted that may, or may not, be of importance.

Why did you decide to use network cable for this? I'm sure it'll work, but it isn't what BT would be using if they were willing to run the cable.

Openreach Engineer told me they'd feed a new line to a grey box installed to the front of the house, from there they connect to a cable that goes internally. There's no easy way from the front of the house to do this (the old cable which is giving errors he can't fully locate but it's underground). I asked if they can go up and over into the back of the property and was advised they aren't allowed to go over the roof, however if there was a cable located near where they installed the box they could make use of it. I asked which cable they'd need, and he stated cat 5 or 6 cable. Which cable should it have been?

Associate
Telephone cable is approx CAT3 isn't it? Almost all CATx cable is backwards compatible anyway. Why bother installing lower grade cabling if you can install something for the same price that is better, fully compatible and could be future proofed if things change significantly.

Also, I'm reasonably sure most external grade cable is going to loudly proclaim that it is.

Back
Top Bottom