Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Got my new Superhub 4 today trialling the new 1Gps fibre. It will be interesting to see what I can pick up speed wise via most day to day wireless devices.

thanks for the post M4YON. Yeah, I max out at about 500mbps down on WIFI AC 3200.

For gig don't splurge on AX Kit trying to chase it, you will need to run a wire. I have mentally prepared myself that once the Gig upgrade appears I will need to use more Cat5 not less :(

AX will have the answers eventually but it looks like it is going to take much more software and chipset development.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I got a call when I cancelled last month. Had a call about a week or two later. Got a deal I was happy with, slightly cheaper than the intro rate just minus the movies (haven't watched a single movie on sky cinema, not even a minute) so was happy to a. not be paying the existing customer rate and b. be paying less than the year before.

Soldato
Win back team generally try and call you a few times/leave a message, however it’s not guaranteed.

I got a call when I cancelled last month. Had a call about a week or two later. Got a deal I was happy with, slightly cheaper than the intro rate just minus the movies (haven't watched a single movie on sky cinema, not even a minute) so was happy to a. not be paying the existing customer rate and b. be paying less than the year before.

Ultimately it didn't matter anyway as I was moving to an Openreach FTTP service.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I was on the edge of that, just the price got me a little. Tempted to try it next year when this contract is up. £60 for 300mbps FTTP was just a few quid more than I was happy with.

Soldato
Been having frequent complete disconnects the past 2 weeks where multiple times a day approx 10-15 it cuts me off every device for 5-10 mins and its driving me nuts. I rung Virgin a week ago and they said they was doing some minor works and will finish on the 21st. I rung again yesterday and now there telling me my Router isnt working properly and to send an Engineer. Im not convinced its the router but its driving me nuts.

Associate
Been with them well over 20 years and contacted cancellations for the first time after my price had increased over 50% in last few months. Offered a terrible £47 for 200. So now nervous wait for retentions and hopefully a decent offer

Associate
Since June this has been my worst experience with an ISP in trms of the cut-outs, albeit only briefly at a time. Driving me insane and I work from home a lot so need to have the internet reliably all day. Woke up today and again no internet so rang them only to be told of a current issue to be resolved by 26 September. It's been happening on and off since I signed up in June, on average every 2 days, so not convinced it is this current known issue thats the problem.

Annoying thing that everytime the service goes down the router becomes useless and I cannot connect internally to my NAS or other PC's, my Hue system attached to Google HOme also goes down. Is that right or does anyone think my Hub3 is broken too? Do I need to look at a separate routers or a mesh system (I have my router upstairs and need wifi for TV downstairs)?

Associate
My contract is up in less than a month and I had the letter to inform me I could leave anyway due to price rises. I'd rather avoid the hassle of leaving to rejoin, but I doubt I'd get a significantly better than new customer rate. If I cancel now, move to Now Broadband for a month or so and then get the wife to sign up in her name, say through Top Cash Back on a Black Friday deal or whatever, will that be treated as a new customer or will there be a big fat DENIED at the end of it?

Tried hitting up dean0, but these new-fangled (or more accurately, I've been in serious lurker mode for ages) conversations things were off.

Associate
My contract is up in less than a month and I had the letter to inform me I could leave anyway due to price rises. I'd rather avoid the hassle of leaving to rejoin, but I doubt I'd get a significantly better than new customer rate. If I cancel now, move to Now Broadband for a month or so and then get the wife to sign up in her name, say through Top Cash Back on a Black Friday deal or whatever, will that be treated as a new customer or will there be a big fat DENIED at the end of it?

Tried hitting up dean0, but these new-fangled (or more accurately, I've been in serious lurker mode for ages) conversations things were off.
you dont need to wait i cancelled and it stopped on the friday and i rejoined in my mothers name over the weekend and had the new hub that week so at most i think ihad no internet for under a week

Associate
I've been given a TP-Link Archer C9 router, but can't see to get it to work with the SH3 in modem mode.

I suppose the first question is what port on the SH3 should I plug the ethernet cable in to?
Did some googling and found advice to use the top port, the bottom port and you can use any :confused:

I tried using the wizard on the TP-Link, but it never gets an internet signal.
Do I need to change anything like the giving it a static IP address, cloning the SH3 MAC address or setting a default gateway?

I got it working by putting the SH3 back in to router mode, turning off it's wireless and setting up the TP-Link as an access point, but I don't like being defeated :D

Thanks.

Soldato
I've been given a TP-Link Archer C9 router, but can't see to get it to work with the SH3 in modem mode.

I suppose the first question is what port on the SH3 should I plug the ethernet cable in to?
Did some googling and found advice to use the top port, the bottom port and you can use any :confused:

I tried using the wizard on the TP-Link, but it never gets an internet signal.
Do I need to change anything like the giving it a static IP address, cloning the SH3 MAC address or setting a default gateway?

I got it working by putting the SH3 back in to router mode, turning off it's wireless and setting up the TP-Link as an access point, but I don't like being defeated :D

Thanks.

Put Superhub into modem mode, connect port 1 to your C9's EWAN port and set it up to receive internet via DHCP (IP) dynamically. No static addresses or MAC spoofing required. Sometimes a reboot of both equipment helps after setup.

Back
Top Bottom