OcUK Dadsnet thread

Associate
How many dads here make sure to read to their children every night?

We're about to have a speech therapist tomorrow for our nearly 2 year old.

Right now my other half seems to be blaming me for reading enough to her, but we have over 30 books which I've read to her multiple times.

We have flash cards and I play lots of counting games with her. It's not 24/7 but she's not even 2 and knows about 30 words and can string some minor sentences together.

I literally talk to her all the time but apparently I'm still not doing enough? Apparently because I do the nighttime routine it's my sole duty to educate her in everything?

I'm fairly sure kids learn throughout the day not just at the nighttime routine, seems a bit harsh of you're other half to take that sort of stance. Personally I'd not be too worried about the "lack" of talking, kids are different and comparing one to the perceive normal does little good. We have always read to both our little ones since birth, but our just 2yo does not really sit still for a book of more than about 5pages. I'm sure over time he will start sitting down more as the bigger one use to be the same. At just before 2 he use to say around 30-40 words with the odd 2 words put together, since going to nursery hes developed a fair amount more (he only goes 6 hours a week) but we talk all the time at home, maybe he couldn't get a word in!

As for books, look at the Mr Men and Little Miss box sets, we picked up both 2nd hand for £15 and that gives about 70 books. The kids normally like us read the same one over and over but I couldn't take reading the same one again and again. I know far too many Julia Donaldson books off by heart.

Soldato
I'm 46 and have a 3.5 and 1 year old. I'm kind of a bit rubbish really because I'm at work a lot and then pretty shattered so admittedly the wife does quite a lot.

It's hard work, your life as you knew is finished and you can kiss goodbye to any thoughts of staying in bed beyond 7am (considered a lay in here).

Soldato
Get / stay fit!

I'm 35 and my old man (60) can outrun me, I'm by no means out of shape, I gym a lot but my cardiovascular fitness is shocking. It's something I'm looking to change as my lad is approaching 18 months now and I want to be able to keep up.

Other than that it's tiring but worth it, my lad makes me laugh and smile every single day. The feelings you'll have towards your son/daughter are like no other.

Commissario
I'm 44 and about to become a Dad for the first time

I'm now worried I'm going to be too old? Am I worrying unduly, or should I just get on with it like Mick Jagger does
44 isn't too old, although you'll be run ragged by the little one especially between the age of about 1 (as you start to get a sleep pattern back) and 10 or so, but that's the case if you're 23 or 84:p

My sister had her 3rd when she was about 42 (although she did get a 15 year break between 2 and 3).

Yeah. That won’t last. My two sprogs are breaking me and I was 37 when the first was born. Get a job on the rigs. Two weeks on two weeks off.

From work or the kids?

Soldato
Sure if you're fit and healthy you'll manage fine.

( - a b-mol - not sure Mick's a role model - media always discussing female fertiltiy due to postponing children - juggling career/resources/child etc., meanwhile saying men have it so good, but, they don't remind about the degrading quality of dna with age )

Associate
So apparently there was no need to worry, in fact speech therapist believes she's at a higher level then her age.

My partner has Huntingtons so she can't read too much to her, but her speech is fine when she is telling me off lol.

Soldato
Good news George is standing up when we stand him at the sofa he will stay there for ages playing.
The physio will be chuffed to see that tonight.
Such a huge milestone for him standing.

Soldato
I was 44 when I had my son, the 0-2 thing was really draining, mainly the broken sleep, it gets much easier after that. Now the main issue is the constant nagging over Pokemon cards.

Man of Honour
I'm fo now but had my first when I was 35.

44 too old? No but I really don't envy you! It's going to be very, very tiring. I'm glad those days are behind me.

Soldato
51 now I'd hate to be new father I was 36 when my last was born already had a 5yr old (both boys) Luck for me I got the wife spayed after the last :p

Anyway congrats and good luck

p.s least your have spare kidney etc in the future ;)

Soldato
@Werewolf Sorry that sentence probably gave the wrong impression, I was being glib about how hard being an older dad is. And if you have money and health now, kids are a cure for that. The rigs joke was more money and time off from the kids for 2 weeks at a time. I keep telling my wife I’m getting a job on the rigs when the girls become teenagers, I work in heavy industry but not petrochem.

Back
Top Bottom