RAID controller disconnects when GPU is in use

Associate
Hello everyone,

Hope you are well.

I am having this strange issue and thinking this might be power related.

So everything was working fine up until two weeks ago, when I turned the PC off and went on holiday. I came back two weeks after, and PC is working fine normally, no issues.

But every time I play a movie (madVR gets involved which uses a lot of GPU power), my LSI RAID controller in the second PCIe slot gets disconnected. The controller runs 8 x 10TB drives in RAID6 mode. Luckily it is not dropping the hard drive but the controller so the whole RAID array disappears. So far it happens when I play a movie in MPC-HC or use youtube in the browser which uses GPU. As long there is no load on GPU, everything is fine.

I moved the LSI controller in another slot, same issue. I increased the airflow on the RAID controller, and on the GPU thinking if it is heat related, but it is not. Now I'm thinking if this could be a PSU issue: it is almost six years old.

Here's my PC spec:

AMD Threadripper 1950X 3.40GHz
Aorus X399 Gaming 7
G.Skill Trident 4 x 16GB DDR4 PC2-3200
Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Jet Stream
EVGA 1600W G2 PSU
3 x SATA SSD
1 x M.2 SSD
8 x 10TB HGST He10 drive in RAID6 (LSI MegaRADI 9271-8i)

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It seems like a power problem, as it only happens when the GPU is not idle. And after the RAID controller disappears from the system, it continues to work so GPU itself seems to be fine.

Please advise, thank you.

Regards,

Manzur

Soldato
That sounds totally wierd. You're running Threadripper so there shouldn't be any issue with PCIe lanes.

Hmm... what happens if you put the RAID controller in the GPU's slot and the GPU in the RAID controller's slot?

Associate
OP
I haven't tried that yet. But for the last two years, they have been in the exact config and was working fine. The only change that happened is that the PC was off for two full weeks. I can try that out and see how that works. Also thinking of swapping out the RAID controller with the backup card. I bought two controller together, one as a backup in case the controller fails. Will report shortly.

Associate
OP
Tried the backup RAID controller, same problem. Going to install the windows and see if the last update made any changes.

Back
Top Bottom