• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3700x Boosts when idle - stock speed underload

Associate
Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ;
* AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA
* Chipset version 1.7.29.0115
* AI suite 3 version 3.00.52

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X ;
* Latest version of AMD Ryzen Master
* AMD Wraith Prism cooler

Other hardware ;
* Corsair Vengeance LPX black 32GB 3200mhz
* Samsung EVO plus polaris NVME 500GB (and 1.66TB over 3 SSD's)
* 1050ti driver 436.30

Windows 10 pro
*You're up-to-date".

Software in question;
* Windows task manager
* AI suite 3
* AMD Ryzen Master
* ROG CPU-Z

Hello folks.

I hope that the above is enough for you to get an idea of the system we are dealing with here. After tripple checking everything; firmware, software and drivers are completely up-to-date.
The following links are screenshots shared on ImgBB.com.
Ryzen Master : https://ibb.co/SQN5jTP
Task Manager : https://ibb.co/ZBCLcfp
AI Suite 3 : https://ibb.co/mTxW5y4

Right now my computer is idle, I have a web browser open to write this content and have the three programs mentioned open. I'd call that pretty idle.

Ryzen Master reports ;
* Temperature 64.5 celsius
* Core 1 : 4201Mhz : others (3-5) are asleep or at 300mhz or so.

Task Manager reports ;
* CPU 1 : 100% utilised 4170Mhz (as above others are asleep or 300Mhz or so)

AI Suite 3 reports ;
* Temperature 52 celsius
* All cores 4375Mhz

So the moment I put the machine under a synthetic load, Cinebench R20, Prime95 small, All software reports CPU frequency pinned to 3750 Mhz (100x37.5)

The temperatures don't seem to change much, the fan speeds up slowly even with my near vertical fan curve and 0sec spin up time.

Does anybody have a clue what on earth is going on here please.

Many Thanks.

Associate
OP
I have just reinstalled the chipset drivers as suggested. Rebooted and again Ryzen master is reporting an Idle Peak Speed of 4.2Ghz, and back to 3.7Ghz when hitting it with Prime95 small FFT's.

Associate
OP
I'm not sure how Version 1.7.29.0115 2019/08/02 or in English 02/08/2019 is very old... they're the most recent chipset drivers that Asus has released for this motherboard.

ideling has gotten much better since i followed your advice (reinstall chipset drivers) and watched youtube for a bit whilst awaiting reply generally staying below 3.6ghz and 1W-10W per core.

Again running prime95, CPU isn't boosting past 3.6Ghz... yet when I'm Idle i see it blip up to 4.2 4.4 @19W occassionaly.

So now Idle seems better, why won't this chip boost when it's needed?
Is there a better benchmark test to run other than prime95 where the CPU could sustain boost for longer periods?

EDIT : just returned to computer and is ideling at 4.3ghz again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
just popped over to AMD website : 1.9.27.1033 was released yesterday and whoa-and-behold...

Package Includes:

AMD Chipset Drivers
AMD Ryzen™ Power Plans (required for UEFI CPPC2 in Windows® 10 May 2019 Update)
Contains desktop idle optimizations for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors

I'll give it a whirl.

Soldato
"Task Manager reports ;
* CPU 1 : 100% utilised 4170Mhz (as above others are asleep or 300Mhz or so)"

That shows it isnt idle.

Whats hogging the cpu core?

Associate
OP
"Task Manager reports ;

That shows it isnt idle.

Ryzen Master @ 8% :rolleyes:

AI suit. Get rid of it. Use one app at a time. Either HWINFO64 or Ryzen Master.

Try using Windows Balance Mode with Minimum Processor State at around 25%.

Changed from AMD balanced to Windows Balanced and set minimum CPU state to 25% up from 5%.
Closed both Master & AI3

Installed HWINFO and.. https://ibb.co/wBxXVSz

Associate
Ryzen Master @ 8% :rolleyes:

Changed from AMD balanced to Windows Balanced and set minimum CPU state to 25% up from 5%.
Closed both Master & AI3

Installed HWINFO and.. https://ibb.co/wBxXVSz

So, what happens when you load the cores - still not boosting properly? On my R5 3600, Multi-threaded app, like Cinebench 20 MT all the cores will boost to 4GHz (Current reading in HWINFO). In CPU (Single) bench, two cores will jump to 4.2 GHz.

Try with PBO in Auto (if this is an option). Uninstall AI suit, it is known to wreak havoc/conflict with other apps. Ryzen's normal behavior in idle is to pick up slight changes such as opening apps, browsers, benchmarks, etc. and you'll see one or more cores boosting indicated under Maximum readings in HWINFO. The brief jump in clocks will indicate a jump in temps as well but not really something that would hurt the system or cpu.

This is idle.

https://i.imgur.com/PEbNHo1.jpg

Soldato
is the core at 8% or 100%, this needs clarifying.

obviously if its at 100% the turbo will kick in.

AMD profile is known to be uber agressive and clock up in idle workloads, microsoft cpu power profile will fix this, but it wont do anything if the core is under heavy load.

Associate
OP
I'm going to answer your questions in a moment but first I wanted to check a few things.

What happens in Bios?
* CPU Temp 43oC
* CPU Package 54oC
* MB Temp 35oC
Temperatures are stable.

What happens when you log in to windows?
Opening Ryzen Master as soon as I login to the computer I see
* 2.7Ghz
* 55oC
Core 1 starts at 900Mhz but at 2 minutes and 30 seconds Core 1 jumps up to 4.2Ghz and then stays there. : https://ibb.co/c1bnbgS

What programs are loaded when Windows starts?
Steam, Logitech G-hub, EZ Update, Ryzen Master.

______

is the core at 8% or 100%, this needs clarifying.

"Task Manager reports ;

That shows it isnt idle.

I interpreted "Whats hogging the cpu core?" as... What process was hogging the CPU and so using Task Manager I found that Ryzen Master was the heaviest user at 8%.

Are you both happy for me to use Prime95 to stress the CPU or is there something else I should use?

______

Soldato
Ok so if I understand right ryzen master is using 8% in task manage process list but in task manager graphs one core is at 100%?

ryzen master seems a very heavy app to be using that much resources, but if all that 8% is going on one core then that will be enough to make the turbo clocks kick in and not considered idle load.

the clocks under single core load will always be higher than an all core load on ryzen chips in stock config.

Associate
OP
Brilliant!

Ryzen Master seems to be the reason why core 1 was pinned at 4.2 Ghz as this was not the case when monitoring with HWINFO.

I still don't boost when hitting the CPU with Prime95 small FFT's. All cores chew through the task at 3.6Ghz.
I boost to 3868Mhz when running Cinabench R20 (HWINFO) score of 4617. (Have seen higher score previously 4808)

Associate
Brilliant!

Ryzen Master seems to be the reason why core 1 was pinned at 4.2 Ghz as this was not the case when monitoring with HWINFO.

I still don't boost when hitting the CPU with Prime95 small FFT's. All cores chew through the task at 3.6Ghz.
I boost to 3868Mhz when running Cinabench R20 (HWINFO) score of 4617. (Have seen higher score previously 4808)

Have you tried setting PBO in AUTO?

Associate
OP
Enabled PBO - AUTO.

Idle - one to two cores bounce from 3.8Ghz - 4.2Ghz but this is now spead accross all cores.
Cinabench R20 - All cores 3.86Ghz = Score : 4388.

Associate
When you say Enabled PBO- I would set it to enabled rather than auto as I didn't have much luck with it on auto (ASUS Prime Pro x470).

I hit 2148 multicore on cinebench R15 and 202 singlecore with it enabled on my 3700X, everything else stock apart from memory XMP 3200Mhz

Back
Top Bottom