When are you going fully electric?

Associate
During my test drive I could tell the ZS EV was built to a certain price point, but only on some of the interior plastics that are out of the way. Steering wheel felt a little cheap, I'd probably send it off to get thickened and trimmed in soft leather for a more premium feel.

The car drove great for an SUV, soaked up the bumps really well and it had a surprising turn of pace. Leather on the seats felt nice and soft too.

Soldato
It's not cheap it's less expensive than premium EVs. Chinese market is very advance with a significant lead in EV conversion and battery manufacturing.

But take about 8k off for batteries and what do you have? A suspiciously cheap SUV..

I'm not just talking about interior, that isn't really a sign of a good/bad quality car (though many are fooled by it). To get it so cheap corners must have been cut somewhere in important places. The other MGs score pretty badly on reliability and safety.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought my Leaf November 2017 with a reasonable amount of tread on the tyres. April 2018, I replaced the lot as they were near minimum. And I've just bought another new set as again, they're near the minimum. I've done about 22k miles since purchase.

Not no-name budget tyres either. Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance (admittedly not the best out there, but they've been very well priced both times I've purchased).

The Leaf is particularly bad though. It has (unacknowledged) issues with the rear suspension which result in uneven tyre wear. One side of each rear tyre has a few months of wear left in it. I'll get the new ones rotated after 6 months I think.

I've also started to tame my driving a bit. In part, that's due to having a baby. But also due to the tyre wear, and the realisation that the car still has plenty of power in Eco mode. I don't really need to hoon it off the line every time I come to a stop. And the power is still there in Eco mode, as the car has a two stage pedal; push it past the first stop point and you get full power regardless).

I’ve had my Tekna 2.5yrs so far, only done 12k miles but it gets driven hard everywhere. Still plenty of tread left on the original tyres, so not sure what you’re doing to chew through them so quickly :)

Soldato
There is generally a difference between Chinese designed and built vs European designed and Chinese built. Likewise cheap Chinese and expensive Chinese.

admittedly that gap is closing very quickly these days but still varies greatly product by product.

As I mentioned, any crash safety tests yet?

Does it have all the crash safety features you’d expect to see on any modern Renault Etc.

Associate
There is generally a difference between Chinese designed and built vs European designed and Chinese built. Likewise cheap Chinese and expensive Chinese.

admittedly that gap is closing very quickly these days but still varies greatly product by product.

Does it have all the crash safety features you’d expect to see on any modern Renault Etc.

The ZS EV was designed from the ground up as an EV in the UK and will be made in China.

Soldato

From what i've seen it does seem to have all the usual safety bells and whistles, auto braking, lane keeping, blindspot etc etc. But looking at the NCAP score for the combustion engine equivalent it's not very good with only 3 stars, this may score slightly higher being a newer revision but i doubt it'll be night and day better which is a shame :(

Soldato
From what i've seen it does seem to have all the usual safety bells and whistles, auto braking, lane keeping, blindspot etc etc. But looking at the NCAP score for the combustion engine equivalent it's not very good with only 3 stars, this may score slightly higher being a newer revision but i doubt it'll be night and day better which is a shame :(

Yep all score quite low and theres nothing to indicate that will change. In a crash any passengers in the ZS are basically dead and you're getting a broken neck :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah been thinking about it and that has really swayed me to just get the Hyundai Ioniq i was going to get anyway, that scores 5 and more importantly to me the child occupancy is wayyyyy better in the Hyundai than the MG.

Shame i can't afford a model 3 as that's even better

Associate
Yeah been thinking about it and that has really swayed me to just get the Hyundai Ioniq i was going to get anyway, that scores 5 and more importantly to me the child occupancy is wayyyyy better in the Hyundai than the MG.

Shame i can't afford a model 3 as that's even better

I was between the ZS and the new 38kwh Ioniq, but it's hard to ignore the £6,000 saving on the purchase price.

Soldato
I was between the ZS and the new 38kwh Ioniq, but it's hard to ignore the £6,000 saving on the purchase price.

A lot of people will go for it, but I wouldn't. You might end up dead in that when you wouldn't in something more sturdy for a few k more. Or rusting to pieces like some cheap cars in the past (I think it was Dacias that came from the factory already rusting along welds :D)

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't look like the new Zoe ZE50 is going to be very competitive against the older 41kWh models, if you need rapid charging then it might be a bit better but you are paying a heck of a lot extra for it, even the Q90 is a hard sell over the slower charging R110 for a 'cheaper' EV. £20k will get you a brand new 'i' model 41kWh S-Edition R110 with metallic paint, I can't find a UK price for the ZE50, but the DE price is starting at €31,990. Do you know if this is accurate?

One thing to be aware of is that the R110 only has AC charging, and there appears to be some indication that this will be getting phased out on faster chargers (e.g. at motorway services). Should be safe enough for the next couple of years, but worth keeping in mind longer term.

Soldato
I think the thread title should have been ;)
When is it possible to go fully electric?
As having an electric car is pretty much useless when you can't charge it
My car normally parked about 50metres or more up the road from my house so how would you charge it ? :confused:

Soldato
I think the thread title should have been ;)
As having an electric car is pretty much useless when you can't charge it
My car normally parked about 50metres or more up the road from my house so how would you charge it ? :confused:

I charge my car at public charging points, a work, rapid chargers. I don't have a charging point at home either and have had electric cars for over 5 years now. It depends where you live and what the public charging infrastructure is like near you or where you work.

Soldato
Waiting for a 600 miles range, under 30k and good interior quality, and pleasant exterior.
I think the next generation will do.

Yes still to many changes and improvements to come, which will make the current ones obsolete and hard to sell on in future. Needs another 10 years for me.

Soldato

I'd be going for one of the last of the 28kwh ones as they can be picked up for around £20-£21k, i don't fancy the 38kwh model with it's lack of rapid charging. Would make it a no go for use on holidays where the older model will do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom