*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

SPG

SPG

Soldato
In the end i enjoyed using all the third party tools for trading, POI etc.

The game should have shipped with this in the first place. How in the 25th century we can populate the galaxy but not send a excell spreadsheet with trade data is beyond me, or have a functioning autopilot for everthing.

Oh and dont get me started on the UI which has been butchered to allow console players into the game.

Soldato
The autopilot is purely gameplay reasons..... the reality is if we make it as far into the future as ED and we have the tech of ED then no one will be manually flying ships, it will all be fully automated.

pretty rubbish for a game however so the lore was meant to be that all forms of high level AI including autopilot are banned. auto docking is allowed because it is not really AI but more a piece of software which connects to the space station and allows them to guide our ship in (in the design days the plan was for basic station not to support it, or for stations under attack to have such features damaged etc.

of course like so many things final implementation was massively simplified, and then recently the whole thing forgotten about as autopilot has now been added - or at least a large part of it.

The UI is clunky as hell and as the game gets more features it gets more and more complicated, a shame really but like you say the game needs to be playable on console..

Some of it is purely the games players fault however... Take blackmarkets.
at the start of the game you would not know if a black market was there until you got to a station. Dont get me wrong, hugely bare bones, the plan was for blackmarkets to only show up once we had made contacts who told us where we were and we would go and find them on hidden asteroid bases etc.. and there would be a chance they could be sting operations or they would get closed down etc.

but at launch at least you did have to find them. Players complained however and so now they advertise for the whole world to see..... a bit like a crystal meth lab advertising on the classifieds board in tescos for goodness sake.

this was done by popular demand from the player base! :(

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Same goes for the AI piloting unless your ship met certain configurable conditions it stays on autopilot, for example ignore USS signals, Ignore ships, ignore being attacked etc.

Soldato
Because the blackmarket concept was stupid and not required in the firstplace.
Seriously? You think having it open for everyone to see Inc the authorities is better than having them hidden , where we have to do a bit of gameplay to sniff then out and have a bit of risk associated with them?.
To each their own I guess but I think the current system is kind of pointless really. They might as well just let you sell stuff on the open market with it as it is now

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Pathetic tbh, Decided to face the tedium again, so decided to fire up and install ED again.... Bear in mind this is a pretty much clean install including windows as the old SSD packed up. Download the installer and boom opens opens up pauses for 2 seconds then closes itself down. Raised a ticket and the answer is... unistall and try it again... ticket closed.... Now not being that stupid i have tried this multiple times. Same issue. I have zero issues with any game but this level of crapness from FD boggles my mind... Its an installer.

More reasons to hate on this beloved franchise....

Soldato
Pathetic tbh, Decided to face the tedium again, so decided to fire up and install ED again.... Bear in mind this is a pretty much clean install including windows as the old SSD packed up. Download the installer and boom opens opens up pauses for 2 seconds then closes itself down. Raised a ticket and the answer is... unistall and try it again... ticket closed.... Now not being that stupid i have tried this multiple times. Same issue. I have zero issues with any game but this level of crapness from FD boggles my mind... Its an installer.

DirectX runtimes? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

It is laughable how bad FD are at making sure the installation and setup experience is as easy as possible, I recently did a clean install of my system and ran into similar issues, installed Elite via oculus and that refused to do anything until I downloaded and installed the launcher from the FD website, obviously the oculus install misses something during setup but with no errors given it's an absolute crapshoot trying to fix it.

Soldato
not played this for a couple of years and was tempted to reinstall - being put off by some comments, has it really not changed at all? Are there any good alternatives in the genre?

the devs are focused on planet zoo. once that became their focus, elite development suffered greatly.

Soldato
the devs are focused on planet zoo. once that became their focus, elite development suffered greatly.

Not at all, there are over 100 people working on Elite's 2020 update... allegedly... (that might possibly be sarcasm... I'll have to wait until 2020's release to confirm though...)

Associate

Have you tried these? What you describe is often down to missing or broken .NET framework files.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yep done all that, infact did all that before contacting support, most perplexing.

Still plenty of other things to play.

Soldato
Was thinking if doing some deep core mining but a bit limited as to what ship to use as only got about 2mil credits in the bank since my restart. Any tips as to the best ship to buy and equip on a limited budget, for this purpose?

Soldato
Latest update/patch has broken the Mission Board, which locks up the game so all you can do is Esc to the main menu. How on earth could something so fundamental slip by QA and beta testing?!

Soldato
Latest update/patch has broken the Mission Board, which locks up the game so all you can do is Esc to the main menu. How on earth could something so fundamental slip by QA and beta testing?!

Yes, total rubbish dross, it's weird though, as I did a load of cargo missions, then all of a sudden they broke. Is it server side?

Soldato
Don't think so as the in game screen distorts - after you click on an item the description box slips to the side and all the icons become unusable, so you can't even get back to your ship.

Soldato
Don't think so as the in game screen distorts - after you click on an item the description box slips to the side and all the icons become unusable, so you can't even get back to your ship.

Yes I get the same, but it was strange, as I'd did a load of runs between two stations, going up and down the mission boxes, then all of a sudden it stopped working.

Back
Top Bottom