Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Permabanned
I think he did mean 1Gb/s and no 1Gb/s port on any Mobo or the new Hub4 will do 1Gb/s never mind 1.1Gb/s that VM will Config it to due to Contention so I am not sure what the score is.

The 10/100Mb/s Lan ports on customers end did cause a lot of problems for customers when they got upgraded to 100Mb/s or higher on VM years back and only hit 92-94Mb/s due to their PC/Lappy LAN port but back when that was the top Tier VM did not add 10% Contention but all Tiers will have it now.

Every Mobo I have had from the Asus Nforce 2 has at least 1x Gig Lan port (though 3rd party+ a single 100Mb Nvidia port) then native Nvidia Gig Lan and now Intel Gig Lan so 10/1000/1000 should be very common now unless really old or low spec.

Permabanned
It will come but possibly not all areas can handle too many users on 500Mb/s (even 350Mb/s) as the Upstream Channels are shared between X amount of customers connected to that cabinet.

It is a pity as VM finally went back to the 10/1 Ratio but 500Mb/s is only 35Mb/s Upload and 1Gb/s gets 50Mb/s Upload, IMO the 500 should be 500/50 same as 10/1 lower Tiers.

I am 350/35 in my area (not sure if all areas have the 35Mb/s yet as some 350Mb/s customers were still on 20Mb/s a while back) AFAIK you should have 4 Upstream Channels (mines are QAM 64 some areas are not) if your area has updated hardware to support this and future upgrades.

Permabanned
"1Gbps broadband package, which is due to go live in Southampton first before becoming available to all 15 million of their UK premises by 2021 (here), is expected to cost from £62 per month standalone"

"The Gigabit package is expected to be advertised alongside an average download speed of 1104Mbps and an average upload of 52Mbps" < VM's additional 10% Contention

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...rice-of-virgin-medias-uk-1gbps-broadband.html

Associate
"1Gbps broadband package, which is due to go live in Southampton first before becoming available to all 15 million of their UK premises by 2021 (here), is expected to cost from £62 per month standalone"

"The Gigabit package is expected to be advertised alongside an average download speed of 1104Mbps and an average upload of 52Mbps" < VM's additional 10% Contention

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...rice-of-virgin-medias-uk-1gbps-broadband.html
I'm on the trial for it and I live in Manchester. The Southampton trial has just ended.

Associate
As a by the by, I cancelled on the 26th. Retentions could offer me something close to the top package, with all the TV, sports, movies, landline and an unlimited SIM, but only 350 MB internet, for £99 a month. So basically, like being a new customer, but with slower internet. I said no. I got a call from an Indian call centre on the 3rd to try and offer me something else. I explained price was the biggest motivator. Best I could get was down to £70 per month for entertainment and sports, landline and 350 MB connection, one box and no SIM. I said no as that's a pretty rubbish deal in all honesty.

I'd kinda like to keep my phone number, so I guess I'm gonna port that somewhere.

I'll be back soon I reckon...

Soldato
I'm going to cancel my VM. I'm on Vivid 150 but haven't had any need for that speed for a while and don't want to continue paying £43 a month for it.

I don't suppose there's any way to archive a few years worth of emails? I quite often log in and search old emails on the VM page when I need to check a detail of, say, something I bought maybe 5 years ago. But I think after cancelling, you get a grace period and then VM deletes everything after 3 months.

I'm thinking of going with Talk talk for £25 pm for an up to 67mb fibre connection.

Soldato
I'm going to cancel my VM. I'm on Vivid 150 but haven't had any need for that speed for a while and don't want to continue paying £43 a month for it.

I don't suppose there's any way to archive a few years worth of emails? I quite often log in and search old emails on the VM page when I need to check a detail of, say, something I bought maybe 5 years ago. But I think after cancelling, you get a grace period and then VM deletes everything after 3 months.

I'm thinking of going with Talk talk for £25 pm for an up to 67mb fibre connection.

Get a local email client such as Thunderbird, and you should be able to do it. You might have to set both the client and the server (through the admin interface) to use POP3 instead of IMAP, and you'll be able to copy everything down to the local client where you can use the filtering/searching options.

Soldato
Get a local email client such as Thunderbird, and you should be able to do it. You might have to set both the client and the server (through the admin interface) to use POP3 instead of IMAP, and you'll be able to copy everything down to the local client where you can use the filtering/searching options.

Thanks Steampunk. Does Thunderbird automatically copy all my emails once I've set up client and server and they won't get deleted by VM, they'll be permanently archived in Thunderbird?

Soldato
Thanks Steampunk. Does Thunderbird automatically copy all my emails once I've set up client and server and they won't get deleted by VM, they'll be permanently archived in Thunderbird?

If you set it to download all emails to your local folders, it will have a local copy that you can search/filter through. You can specify if copies are left on the VM server, but last time I looked at it VM doesn't respect the POP3 delete command, so you'd have to manually delete stuff from VM via IMAP or the webmail interface ie. there will be a copy on the VM server by default until they remove your email account, but you'll have your own backup on your PC.

Soldato
If you set it to download all emails to your local folders, it will have a local copy that you can search/filter through. You can specify if copies are left on the VM server, but last time I looked at it VM doesn't respect the POP3 delete command, so you'd have to manually delete stuff from VM via IMAP or the webmail interface ie. there will be a copy on the VM server by default until they remove your email account, but you'll have your own backup on your PC.

Great stuff, thanks mate.

Associate

A colleague of mine just went down the cancel route as was paying a similar amount for 100Mbit. They offered him £19pm so you may be surprised

Back
Top Bottom