The Tesla Thread

Soldato
I have a P+ collected in Sept 2019 , just no connected Wifi , still on V9

Tesla do change policies a lot but the quotes are from the Tesla website so patience may be the order. I've various posts with tips but main ones are I think enable Advanced in software updates. Disable Dog Mode/Cabin overheat & Sentry mode.

"Premium Connectivity also enables updates to download via your car's built-in cellular connection."

"Cars that are not connected to Wi-Fi will take longer to receive updates."

Soldato
I picked up SWMBOs Model 3 LR in Blue last Monday and I've held off posting much detail until now as I was unsure if I would need to use the 1 week/1000 mile rejection period on the car, something I never thought I would need to consider.

Collection experience, best described as poor. Didn't help I was collecting on last day of the quarter and that the delivery centres were pushing out 100s of cars a day each, I heard that West Drayton was doing 200-250 cars/day, not something that most Dealers would ever have to cope with. Collecting from Dartford, expectation was a group walk around of a car followed by walking out to 8 cars sat on Superchargers for a top up (in all fairness, all cars were at close to 80%) they would spend 10-20 minutes with you setting up the car and then on your way. Rinse and repeat every 30 minutes.

I walked out on a nice sunny day to find what I can only describe as a bright blue Orange, the Orange Peel finish on the paint was really bad and that was only the starter, I quickly found about 20 paint defects which is a huge shame as the interior is perfect. Problem isn't so much the defects as the attitude of the staff who just wanted me out of there, as I was complaining the chap in the car next to me asked me what the problem was and when I told him, his response was that his car was fine (it wasn't) and that I must be a "car person". Reality is that 90% of owners just want an iPad on wheels and can't/won't see the defects. Handover staff initially refused to log about half of the defects as they are "within tolerance", a phrase that will kill Tesla once the other manufacturers catch up on battery tech. After 30 minutes a phone was shoved in front of my face and I was told to sign for the car, I refused. After 10 more minutes it became clear they weren't going to move me on and agreed to log most of the defects on paint and I took the car on the understanding that I could reject it within the 1 week/1000 mile policy.

I could go into all the forums, owners groups and cars that I've looked at over the last week at Superchargers, but tl:dr is that Tesla paint process is just rubbish across all of their cars. I ended up taking the car to the Service Centre on Friday at Milton Keynes to talk to the staff there and saw a huge range of cars all with bad Orange Peel effect. I was also able to talk to the paint guy there who was really good and gave me the confidence that the defects will be fixed to a high standard when it goes in at the end of the month and the team there were happy to spend time with me going over the car and adding a couple of panel gap issues on to the job sheet.

I'd also spoken with the chap who is doing paint correction work on a lot of Model 3s at the moment, his comments matched what I've found out in the last week, Tesla paint processes are poor and anyone who claims to have a great finish is either blind, doesn't know what they are looking for, lying or very very very lucky. I will be booking the car in with him some time in November to get the quality of finish that should have come from the factory.

Now I will just say that now my eyes are tuned in to looking, this is not unique to Tesla, I was walking past a nearly new A7 on Saturday and it was as bad, talking to the Dealer who wants to buy our Zoe he frequently refuses Jaguar/Land Rover cars due to the Orange Peel effect on the paint.

So on to the car itself, firstly SWMBO absolutely loves it, coming from a Zoe she was worried that it would be too big and that just the touchscreen would be hard to use but after 30 mins running through it she was fine and did say that if I rejected it based on paint (that she doesn't care about) I would be in trouble
D.gif
As she's just gone on holiday for a week I've used it a lot over the weekend doing about 400 miles including a journey where I intentionally set off without enough charge knowing I could use a Supercharger without a 2nd thought, something in the Zoe that always required planning (do I have the right card) and worry (will it actually work!). The screen works incredibly well and the positioning of the speedo takes about 2 minutes to get used to and sits in our peripheral vision. Talking of vision, forward vision is excellent, car feels really open at the front though rear visibility is poor, not really a problem as the reversing camera and sensors are excellent.

Performance has to be experiences to be understood, it's instant, makes and NA petrol car feel like a turbo car in comparison and despite ‘only’ being the LR car, it's about a 10 second car 0-100mph!!! 50-70mph is done in the blink of an eye, is really is astonishing. If this is the future then I'm in. Steering is artificial but confidence inspiring, it's easy to place on the road and the ride is very good.

I'll admit that I have utterly fallen for the car, the interior is really nice and feels well put together, the giant iPad "just works", the performance is astonishing and it makes an EV a real world single car option for us. It's just such a shame that they don't paint/finish the cars properly and that the staff that are really helpful are hidden behind a wall of phone lines as once you get to deal with them in person they are for the most part hugely enthusiastic and helpful.

POGFpRQ.jpg

Last edited:

nam

nam

Soldato
Glad you got your LR, same colour as mine , P+ , the blue should not suffer from orange peel so that is surprising as it is usually been on the black , hence it no longer being a standard colour.

on Saturday i had a complete machine polish and then have had the Gtechniq Exo ceramic applied to mine (Outside and all windows, wheels) and Interior doors by Mobile Detailing Essex - Gtechniq Ceramic Coating & Mobile Valeting guaranteed for 5 years very thorough and detailed (Had the same coat on my previous Audi S4) and makes washing a breeze and continuous beading. Very impressed

Something i would have done whichever car i have as it does make future washing a breeze

I picked up SWMBOs Model 3 LR in Blue last Monday and I've held off posting much detail until now as I was unsure if I would need to use the 1 week/1000 mile rejection period on the car, something I never thought I would need to consider.

Collection experience, best described as poor. Didn't help I was collecting on last day of the quarter and that the delivery centres were pushing out 100s of cars a day each, I heard that West Drayton was doing 200-250 cars/day, not something that most Dealers would ever have to cope with. Collecting from Dartford, expectation was a group walk around of a car followed by walking out to 8 cars sat on Superchargers for a top up (in all fairness, all cars were at close to 80%) they would spend 10-20 minutes with you setting up the car and then on your way. Rinse and repeat every 30 minutes.

I walked out on a nice sunny day to find what I can only describe as a bright blue Orange, the Orange Peel finish on the paint was really bad and that was only the starter, I quickly found about 20 paint defects which is a huge shame as the interior is perfect. Problem isn't so much the defects as the attitude of the staff who just wanted me out of there, as I was complaining the chap in the car next to me asked me what the problem was and when I told him, his response was that his car was fine (it wasn't) and that I must be a "car person". Reality is that 90% of owners just want an iPad on wheels and can't/won't see the defects. Handover staff initially refused to log about half of the defects as they are "within tolerance", a phrase that will kill Tesla once the other manufacturers catch up on battery tech. After 30 minutes a phone was shoved in front of my face and I was told to sign for the car, I refused. After 10 more minutes it became clear they weren't going to move me on and agreed to log most of the defects on paint and I took the car on the understanding that I could reject it within the 1 week/1000 mile policy.

I could go into all the forums, owners groups and cars that I've looked at over the last week at Superchargers, but tl:dr is that Tesla paint process is just rubbish across all of their cars. I ended up taking the car to the Service Centre on Friday at Milton Keynes to talk to the staff there and saw a huge range of cars all with bad Orange Peel effect. I was also able to talk to the paint guy there who was really good and gave me the confidence that the defects will be fixed to a high standard when it goes in at the end of the month and the team there were happy to spend time with me going over the car and adding a couple of panel gap issues on to the job sheet.

I'd also spoken with the chap who is doing paint correction work on a lot of Model 3s at the moment, his comments matched what I've found out in the last week, Tesla paint processes are poor and anyone who claims to have a great finish is either blind, doesn't know what they are looking for, lying or very very very lucky. I will be booking the car in with him some time in November to get the quality of finish that should have come from the factory.

Now I will just say that now my eyes are tuned in to looking, this is not unique to Tesla, I was walking past a nearly new A7 on Saturday and it was as bad, talking to the Dealer who wants to buy our Zoe he frequently refuses Jaguar/Land Rover cars due to the Orange Peel effect on the paint.

So on to the car itself, firstly SWMBO absolutely loves it, coming from a Zoe she was worried that it would be too big and that just the touchscreen would be hard to use but after 30 mins running through it she was fine and did say that if I rejected it based on paint (that she doesn't care about) I would be in trouble
D.gif
As she's just gone on holiday for a week I've used it a lot over the weekend doing about 400 miles including a journey where I intentionally set off without enough charge knowing I could use a Supercharger without a 2nd thought, something in the Zoe that always required planning (do I have the right card) and worry (will it actually work!). The screen works incredibly well and the positioning of the speedo takes about 2 minutes to get used to and sits in our peripheral vision. Talking of vision, forward vision is excellent, car feels really open at the front though rear visibility is poor, not really a problem as the reversing camera and sensors are excellent.

Performance has to be experiences to be understood, it's instant, makes and NA petrol car feel like a turbo car in comparison and despite ‘only’ being the LR car, it's about a 10 second car 0-100mph!!! 50-70mph is done in the blink of an eye, is really is astonishing. If this is the future then I'm in. Steering is artificial but confidence inspiring, it's easy to place on the road and the ride is very good.

I'll admit that I have utterly fallen for the car, the interior is really nice and feels well put together, the giant iPad "just works", the performance is astonishing and it makes an EV a real world single car option for us. It's just such a shame that they don't paint/finish the cars properly and that the staff that are really helpful are hidden behind a wall of phone lines as once you get to deal with them in person they are for the most part hugely enthusiastic and helpful.

POGFpRQ.jpg

Soldato
Glad you got your LR, same colour as mine , P+ , the blue should not suffer from orange peel so that is surprising as it is usually been on the black , hence it no longer being a standard colour.

on Saturday i had a complete machine polish and then have had the Gtechniq Exo ceramic applied to mine (Outside and all windows, wheels) and Interior doors by Mobile Detailing Essex - Gtechniq Ceramic Coating & Mobile Valeting guaranteed for 5 years very thorough and detailed (Had the same coat on my previous Audi S4) and makes washing a breeze and continuous beading. Very impressed

Something i would have done whichever car i have as it does make future washing a breeze

From what I have seen it is not colour dependent though white does hide it best. I did initially wonder if it was a bad batch at Dartford but having looked at a load of cars at Superchargers and most of the cars at MK Service Centre including S & Xs of various ages I have yet to see one in person that isn’t affected. Plenty of people on FB groups have told me their cars are perfect, I can’t say for sure either way but I’d estimate that I have looked at 100 cars in the last week and not one of them didn’t suffer from the Orange Peel effect.

I hope that you have got lucky.

nam

nam

Soldato
i believe so , i did extended checks upon collection at west drayton. The detailer was impressed before he started on mine, as he had also just finished another model 3 in black which was not in a good state from SC

Get your detailer to work on your's asap that will help prepare for the harsh winter approching

From what I have seen it is not colour dependent though white does hide it best. I did initially wonder if it was a bad batch at Dartford but having looked at a load of cars at Superchargers and most of the cars at MK Service Centre including S & Xs of various ages I have yet to see one in person that isn’t affected. Plenty of people on FB groups have told me their cars are perfect, I can’t say for sure either way but I’d estimate that I have looked at 100 cars in the last week and not one of them didn’t suffer from the Orange Peel effect.

I hope that you have got lucky.

Soldato
As much as I appreciate people needing to have a high quality paint finish, it simply is not that important to well over 90% of people who will buy or lease the Model 3, and is within line of many of the other cars coming from premium manufacturers from what I have seen. The comment about Tesla being killed once the other manufacturers catch up with battery tech is also way, way off. It's not just the battery tech, it's the motor design and the ground up build, with software that is always evolving, the supercharger network, and a forward looking attitude that sets them apart from the incumbents that are still mainly pushing 'traditional' vehicles.

The problem is when "car" people start adopting the new peoples car that is the BEV from the likes of Tesla, you are going to have whinging and moaning about things that just don't bother other people, just in the same way that you get the audiophiles of the world moaning about sound something like a power cable being inadequate, or someone saying that XX brand of watch is terrible as their automatic movements lose 1 second per year etc.

I am sure there will be plenty of manufacturers who will be taking business from themselves with BEV's soon, however given the attitude of the NA market place, and the success thus far I doubt Tesla will be going anywhere soon, lets not forget they are also currently the only car company in the world to have a wholly foreign-owned factory in China, the single biggest market for BEV's in the world, and every vehicle they push out of it will help them develop products/brand/expansion etc.

Soldato
Yeah i have to say i'm definitely one of the 90% as for me as long as i can't see the metal underneath and it's all kind of the same colour i really couldn't care less, it'll probably only ever get washed a couple of times a year if its lucky at the local hand car wash anyway. Tesla would probably be best placed in carrying on how they are and for the couple of people who do care, fix it for them afterwards as that'll probably be more cost effective than trying to paint every car 100%.

Soldato
Just had my Rolec swapped out as I was having issues with the 1st unit not charging properly and cutting out/dropping to 16A, the stopping all together.

New unit (Rolec) - same issues happening.

Electrician is stumped as everything is fine, earth readings are very low and under tolerance etc.

So trying to narrow down the issues.

• Charging on rapid CCS chargers (one Insta volt and one public chargeplace scotland) - Zero issues, full speed no interruptions
  • Public chargeplace scotland Type 2 cables - they start a full speed but then I get a warning saying charging speed reduced. It continues to charge uninterrupted but slower than standard speeds
  • Home 3 pin 13A Telsa charger - charges for about 20/25 minutes at a time - then suddenly stops, I need to then restart via app, same thing - rinse and repeat. So I can't leave it overnight charging as it stops after 20 minutes or so.
  • Rolec - both units (one tethered, one untethered) start charging up to 32A, then stop and drop to 0A, then go up to 16A or so, but again after 5/10 minutes stop charging
I have booked a provisional service appointment in Edinburgh but first appointment isn't till the 29th October....

Electrician has tried everything we can think of and can only come up with the fact the issues maybe lie with the car being very sensitive to voltage fluctuations on type 2 charging.

Soldato
Though about just looking for a someone who lives near you on one of the EV forums to try out their charger?

yeah - doing that just now - got a few offers from people nearby via tesla facebook group.

Tesla servicing have been in touch - they took more details and they have looked at charging details etc - awaiting a call back from Technical team.

Soldato
As much as I appreciate people needing to have a high quality paint finish, it simply is not that important to well over 90% of people who will buy or lease the Model 3, and is within line of many of the other cars coming from premium manufacturers from what I have seen. The comment about Tesla being killed once the other manufacturers catch up with battery tech is also way, way off. It's not just the battery tech, it's the motor design and the ground up build, with software that is always evolving, the supercharger network, and a forward looking attitude that sets them apart from the incumbents that are still mainly pushing 'traditional' vehicles.

I really only checked for obvious imperfections rather than the overall finish as I know I'm not that fastidious about looking after the outside. Though I do wash fairly regularly without out trying to introduce swirls etc. and will avoid salt corrosion too where possible.

Apt comment as I was watching Tesla Time News (know You Know YT) who can be a little bias but I like some of the smaller details that they cover. Such as 3 recent patents to remove the display bezel, simplify and increase efficiency of the power steering and even introduce a liquid heating/cooling system to the seats to reduce overall cabin heating draw. Stuff like that tells me that Tesla may be always looking for the nth degree of efficiency where other manufactures have mostly been stagnant with improving overall car design and system integration.

Oh and there's another Easter Egg in the car related to the recent v10 update and Monty Python. Nothing major yet but maybe worth a search.

nam

nam

Soldato
paired tesla to my phone as wifi hotspot. No update yet. The only other I noted was I had not named the car which i have also done. will check later tomorrow to see if any update has been applied as I assume it cannot be checked via the app

Tesla do change policies a lot but the quotes are from the Tesla website so patience may be the order. I've various posts with tips but main ones are I think enable Advanced in software updates. Disable Dog Mode/Cabin overheat & Sentry mode.

"Premium Connectivity also enables updates to download via your car's built-in cellular connection."

"Cars that are not connected to Wi-Fi will take longer to receive updates."

Soldato

D.gif

POGFpRQ.jpg

Exactly it's just new technology and generally speaking new technology is better than old.

Remember the massive hoo ha when efi came about.

It's far more reliable than carbs

Soldato
Apt comment as I was watching Tesla Time News (know You Know YT) who can be a little bias but I like some of the smaller details that they cover. Such as 3 recent patents to remove the display bezel, simplify and increase efficiency of the power steering and even introduce a liquid heating/cooling system to the seats to reduce overall cabin heating draw. Stuff like that tells me that Tesla may be always looking for the nth degree of efficiency where other manufactures have mostly been stagnant with improving overall car design and system integration.

other manufactures do actually make money selling cars though? Still not entirely sure where tesla are, even with the impressive Q3 delivery numbers.

Back
Top Bottom