Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Is anyone else keeping an eye on Eliud Kipchoge 1:59 Challenge? He's due to run sometime in the next few weeks depending on the weather. I'm hoping it's not while I'm t work so I can watch

https://www.ineos159challenge.com/

Ye been following it for a while be awesome if he does it I believe he will be attempting it on October 12th

He managed 2:00:25 in the Breaking 2 although unfortunately it wasnt regarded as a proper marathon run.

Lets not forget Eliud time was nearly beaten a week ago by Kenenisa Bekele sadly missed out by 2 seconds at Berlin Marathon

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a29286164/kenenisa-bekele-berlin-marathon-2019/

I feel that sub 2 hour is only a matter of when not if now.

Soldato
Really glad the rain stayed away today. I'm pretty happy with my running so far, another great run in which I didn't need to stop or walk.

Does anyone use MapMyRun to find new routes? I wanted to run a 10k today as my last two was just shy around 6 miles. I run the same route I mapped out on MapMyRun but the results are slightly different. MapMyRun tells me the distance is 6.25 miles but Strava tells me I ran 6.17, which again is just shy is 6.2 :(

Soldato
Really glad the rain stayed away today. I'm pretty happy with my running so far, another great run in which I didn't need to stop or walk.

Does anyone use MapMyRun to find new routes? I wanted to run a 10k today as my last two was just shy around 6 miles. I run the same route I mapped out on MapMyRun but the results are slightly different. MapMyRun tells me the distance is 6.25 miles but Strava tells me I ran 6.17, which again is just shy is 6.2 :(

Just inaccuracies in recording I assume. I can do the exact same route, leaving my house and finishing at the same point and it can give me different distances!

Associate
I have to work out if I can do it and how the logistics would work yet. Last year was tricky with the kids and so on, so I suspect it might then be easier to just go down and do it and return. They might see more on TV anyhow!

Then, do I go on train, drive, hotel, camp? etc.

Associate
It is possible to get someone to pick up your number for you. If not you have to get it Wednesday-Saturday before the race.

I've signed up for the Liege Beer Lovers Marathon, in May next year. 15 Beer stops put on by different Breweries along the route :D

Soldato
I've decided i've got a brilliant plan to stop me being lazy!

At the moment, given the weather and time of year, i'm going to bed fairly early, waking up at 6am to go for a run and then deciding my bed is lovely and warm and turning my alarm off for an hour.

This isn't productive at all!

Last night i went for a run on the way home as it's easier to motivate myself to do that. The spot i park up at is around 4 miles from home, so i figured that i'll park there after work, run home. Then in the morning i'll have no choice but get up because i'll need to go get my car for work!

So it'd pretty much go

Monday - Finish work, run home from car
Tuesday - Run for car in the morning, drive home, shower etc and then go to work
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Finish work, run home from car
Friday - Run for car in the morning, drive home, shower etc and then go to work

That gets me around 15 miles and then with a 7-8 mile run at the weekend it should help get me back into a decent routine!

Soldato
Due to a knee issue, I've never really run/jogged before. I've lost a lot of weight cycling and jogging seems to be okay now and to me, preferable in bad weather. Can I ask, are there any running shoe recommendations people can make? I'm 6'3 and 100kg and only really running 5k at the most at the moment, if any of that matters? Thanks!

Soldato
You're similar size and weight to me (a little lighter) and i tend to use a trainer on the stability side of Neutral (Asics GT2000, Brooks GTS19).

However, your best option is to get to a running shop. They'll put you on a treadmill to analyse your Gait, and make recommendations based on that. It's about getting a right shoe that keeps a good line between the floor and your knee.

Don't be put off thinking they're only for running pro's, or that they'll steer you towards the most expensive ones. I've always found them very helpful and work to a budget.

Back
Top Bottom