Lord British Presents

Soldato
First off - I apologise for bumping a thread last posted to April last year :)
Secondly - not sure if this is against forum rules or not. I'll take the chance and see if the ban/suspension hammer will fall.

Did anyone miss out on the kickstarter for this and wish maybe they had invested?
For a limited time I am able to "gift" founder level accounts to people. So the entry point account is at $40 and that gets you into the beta's and gets you a copy of the game and loads of other stuff. However as opposed to simply singing up on the site its $5 cheaper and you get the special items from the Kickstarter.

Anyway, not a scam - I think most people know how long I've been around here. All very legitimate. Yes I'd be getting a recruitment bonus, but if anyone is interested maybe they can let me know?

Mods - if this breaks any rules I apologise and please delete.

I could well be tempted for $40... How does it play at the moment?

Soldato
It's early but showing some real promise.
We've had 2 "early view" weekends where we've been able to go into the game in single player and claim a house, decorate it. Start speaking to NPC's and exploring.
Next release is in about 3 weeks time. This will be at last multiplayer so we'll all be entering the same environment. Crafting is going to be enabled so we can see how that will work.
It's worth taking a read of their website to see what is coming soon.

Because you're getting a founders account you get some extra free in-game items which were only available during the kickstarter. For some reason they have allowed founders to gift founder level pledges to people.
It's all above board (and a 7 page discussion on their forums) - just a way for anyone who decided not to back earlier or missed it the opportunity to get the extra items and pay kickstarter rates!

Over at the Shroud of Avatar forums I'm using the same name "Stoofa" so you can ping me a message there if you like and I'll get things sorted. Should be able to do entry point "Adventurer" founder level for $35.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a slight addition.

I should be able to sort out "Adventurer" level founders pledges for $35, so around £21.
I'm posting as "Stoofa" on the SOTA forums - that's probably the easiest way of finding me - as you'd need to create an account anyway if you wanted in :)

Soldato
OK, I promise that this will be the last time I bump this thread. This game isn't as popular as some out there I know, but there is definitely some interest.

So can now offer the Founders Adventurer level pledge for $30, or around £18.50
If you've already pledged as a benefactor, this additional pledge allows you to upgrade to founder status.
If you haven't pledged at all you just need to create a free account and the pledge I'd send would set you up.

Anyway, as I said, last bump on this.
Feel free to private message me "stoofa" on the SOTA forums if you're at all interested.

Now - you can get back to your day :)

Soldato
I havent looked at any of this since the early kickstarter days - the early videos they showed looked pretty terrible, still fingers crossed. Im just at the adventurer level, does this give you the preview builds stoofa?

Soldato
I havent looked at any of this since the early kickstarter days - the early videos they showed looked pretty terrible, still fingers crossed. Im just at the adventurer level, does this give you the preview builds stoofa?

Yes it should do. Next builds are due towards the end of the month. These will be multiplayer with crafting and hopefully combat also turned on.
Keep an eye on their forums and they will let you know when you can download the latest builds.

Soldato
Still Alpha, but every release brings new features.
A lot of textures and graphics were broken recently - they upgraded to the Unity 5 engine which caused them a few problems.
With release they add "quests for rares" - so recently there was a release where if you followed a whole quest line through you got a particular hat, which will never be released again.
Old UO players will know all about the value of rares :)

I think it's looking good and playing pretty well too. But I think description alone doesn't help, people need to take a look to judge.

Permabanned
The game has failed, graphics never improved from the tech demo, interface would be bad even if the game was from early 2000s. Full of bugs and the quest system never delivered on the vision. Combat is very simplistic and is often just spamming one button. Dev team is just a handful of people after multiple cuts, they are all working from home as they couldn't afford to pay for an office. Dev effort now is adding store purchasable cosmetics etc. to milk the whales. Lord British has milked it and scarpered - he has even removed his name from it.

Man of Honour
Garriott was an absolute visionary/pioneer of gaming, he once (about 20 years ago), famously said that if you could tap into one specific market "the housewife" for gaming you could make billions. Lo and behold, those prophetic words proved true with the likes of Candy Crush and its ilk. Unfortunately though he's been left behind really in the gaming world and things have moved on. UO was a masterpiece of an MMO at its time but release it now and it would be slated and probably cease to exist within 18 months. Nevertheless his name deserves to go right up there with the other greats from the early eras of gaming.

Permabanned
Unfortunately SoTA was just him and some his old cronies riding the peak of the crowdfunding wave and cashing in on people's nostalgia for the Ultima series and UO. The people who he got involved clearly didn't have a clue about what it takes to put together a modern game which is why the game is quite bad even if judged by early 2000 standards. This was nothing more than a vanity project to fund his real passion which was going in to space. The game is an absolute shell of what it should have been given the money it raised. I suspect this is the last we will hear from LB from a gaming perspective. Good riddance! I expect star citizen will turn out the same but potentially they at least release a competent single player space game.

Man of Honour
The space thing is pretty cool though, Garriott has already been to space and as his father was also an astronaut, he is one of less than a handful of people to have ever had a father and son both go into space.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Garriott has already been to space and as his father was also an astronaut

An accomplished astronaut at that. Part of the second crew to go to Skylab (the first US space station), also part of the crew that went up on the ninth shuttle mission, spent nearly 14 hours across the two missions doing EVAs.

Man of Honour
Not cool for the people who financed his space jolly via this Kickstarter though, which under delivered on an astronomical scale (excuse the pun).

No, not cool for them, but cool on the larger scale of the hugely limited number of humans to ever go into space and cool from the standpoint of someone fulfilling a childhood dream. I hope that I one day manage to achieve one of my childhood dreams too :)

Back
Top Bottom