• iPhone 11 Pro - 512Gb

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max - 64Gb

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max - 256Gb

Votes: 41 13.7%
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max - 512Gb

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 109 36.3%

• Total voters
Associate
On the basis of Note 10+ and 11 pro max I find I didn't notice any slowdown with the Note 10 per se ( I have owned since release) Sure some of the apps are not deletable but then again on the 11 pro max some of apps aren't as well. I find the slowdown happens more with the 11 pro max then the Note 10+. Safari was jerky scrolling though but seem to be fine with the latest patch I am just having a bit of issue with the youtube app comments section when I scroll through it sometimes it fine sometimes it jerky. But seeming as the phone is new I am sure this will be ironed out with the patch or I have missed something in the settings etc.

So some youtuber posted how the pro max screen 'destroys' the note 10 +. So I went to compare. Using the 4k hdr costa rica demo indeed the pro max screen is brighter than the note 10. I was surprised but at the same time. To achieve this I turned off the auto brightness and set the improve contrast to on. But there seems to be ever so slightly more detail on the note 10+ at the cost of less dynamic range. But seeming as they both Samsung panels both are excellent.

I have now turned off the increase contrast off on the iphone as it made white objects bloom with too much contrast and made scenes seem artificial. I tried the LG tv demo and the peru 8k demo. In all testing It is brighter on the Iphone for sure. And it blows me away however Note 10+ is a higher res phone and there is detail there that the Iphone cannot match although I feel that is nitpicking as both are probably the best I have seen so far.

Standby battery time is for sure better on the iphone. This is the one area where I can safely say as good as the 10+ is for battery life the iphone is in a different league. Is this exaggeration quite possibly. WHo knows 6 months down the line when or if the battery degrades will I be so quick to sing it praises. But at the moment if I were to buy another phone unless it can come close, maybe even match and surpass this iphone battery life then I am not interested. That is how much it has impressed me.

I never got an iphone in the past as I didn't like the screens even though this is my first proper iphone, I have owned Apple products before like an Imac, mac mini, Macbook pro and air and of course an Ipad so I am not a complete stranger to Apple OS. How long will the honeymoon period last and am I willing to ditch the Note 10+ for the 11. No I don't think so but then again I am not ready to ditch the 11 for the 10+ either. If someone was to ask me which phone to get I think at this point of time I couldn't say which one. I don't ponder which one I shall keep but more rather I wonder If I can reverse wirelessly charge the iphone faster than the iphone power brick using the 10+. I love them both

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched a Max Tech YouTube video where the Note 10+ screen wasn’t getting as bright as expected when using the manual slider and only reached its expected peak when set to auto and in bright sunlight. From this he concluded that the iPhone 11 Pro Max screen was “better” on the basis of achieved brightness, though the notch (in my eyes) was clearly very intrusive on the videos he was watching. It did seem a little disappointing that Samsung have decided to hamstring the brightness, assuming there’s not an underlying issue with screen longevity that’s made them take that step.

Every iPhone I’ve owned trounces every Android I’ve owned in standby. You put an iPhone down with the battery at 90pc, come back a few hours later and it’ll be at 89 or 90pc. Do the same on an Android and 6pc of the battery will have dribbled away doing nothing.

I work from home so I’m usually near a charger, but battery dribble annoys me far more than it should. It’s a problem that shouldn’t exist in the way that it does.

Edit - I’m starting to think the Note 10+ might be worth a punt anyway. I’m guessing it’ll be £800 on Black Friday and I wouldn’t feel the need to take out insurance. The Pro Max would definitely need insurance simply because of the back plate replacement cost, which would take the cost beyond £1300 for 64gb (which I can admittedly live with).

Man of Honour
My work iPhone XR lasts for ages as I barely use it save the off call. I think I charge it once I week at most. Then again I’m using my 11 Pro now which was last charged at 9am yesterday and it’s currently on 32%. Pretty impressive.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I’ve been trying to get into mobile games a bit more and I keep imagining how much better it will be with a stylus (I play one fingered stuff, not arcade games). And then I tell myself if I’m getting a big phone I might as well get a 6.8” screen instead of a 6.5” one.

And then I start worrying about sluggishness on the Note 10 and the anger I’ll feel when I find I can’t uninstall the preloaded Facebook etc. and then I’m back to the Pro Max once more. Rinse and repeat.

You can can connect an Xbox controller/PS4 controller to iOS devices now to play quite a few games included within Apple Arcade.

Soldato
You can can connect an Xbox controller/PS4 controller to iOS devices now to play quite a few games included within Apple Arcade.

Cheers, but I don’t really want to play games that require a controller if that makes sense. I’ve got a PC for main gaming and I want my phone to be a kick back on the settee or in bed kind of device :)

Associate
Ordered an 11 Pro through virgin last night, they are stating delivery early November. Has anyone ordered through them and received the handset already or is it a huge backlog?

Soldato
Some incredible shots here from MrWhoseTheBoss using a ludicrous amout of accessories, but it enabled him to capture some pretty amazing photos and video using DSLR camera lenses using the iPhone 11 sensor

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
^ Pretty standard setup used by Apple when they create videos "shot on iPhone". They leave out the part about it being strapped into an epic rig.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Im glad that they made some useful improvements with this phone, mainly the battery improvement for me. Dont really care too much about the camera, but its still a welcomed addition. I wont be getting this years model, but im really hoping the 2020 model is a great one and has all the features that I want/need.

Them being:

-120Hz Display
-USB C
-6 or 8gb of RAM
-Possible 1440p Display?
-Much smaller notch, or just no notch at all

Soldato
Im glad that they made some useful improvements with this phone, mainly the battery improvement for me. Dont really care too much about the camera, but its still a welcomed addition. I wont be getting this years model, but im really hoping the 2020 model is a great one and has all the features that I want/need.

Them being:

-120Hz Display
-USB C
-6 or 8gb of RAM
-Possible 1440p Display?

-Much smaller notch, or just no notch at all

Why would you need 6 or 8GB of RAM on iOS for anything other than spec-sheet wars? I guess the same could be said for 1440p on screens this small but I can concede it probably has more use than extra RAM/

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Why would you need 6 or 8GB of RAM on iOS for anything other than spec-sheet wars? I guess the same could be said for 1440p on screens this small but I can concede it probably has more use than extra RAM/

Actually its become pretty clear that 4gb isnt enough, I usually keep plenty of apps open and its quite annoying that a lot of the times when I switch back to an app from earlier, it has to reload the app, instead of it already being opening in the background. Newer Android devices have no issue keeping multiple apps open in the background and can switch back with no issues, but iPhone struggles with only 4gb compared with much more on flagship android devices.

1440p is just sharper and better also. The pro max currently has a 2688x1242, which is just in a weird space of being better than 1080p and worse than 1440p. Id rather it just be 1440p, especially with all the video upgrades now, I want to view the videos in as high quality as possible.

I mean the regular iphone 11 has a 720p display... Whats the point being able to take 4k videos when you can only watch it on a terrible 720p display?

Soldato
Actually its become pretty clear that 4gb isnt enough, I usually keep plenty of apps open and its quite annoying that a lot of the times when I switch back to an app from earlier, it has to reload the app, instead of it already being opening in the background. Newer Android devices have no issue keeping multiple apps open in the background and can switch back with no issues, but iPhone struggles with only 4gb compared with much more on flagship android devices.

1440p is just sharper and better also. The pro max currently has a 2688x1242, which is just in a weird space of being better than 1080p and worse than 1440p. Id rather it just be 1440p, especially with all the video upgrades now, I want to view the videos in as high quality as possible.

I mean the regular iphone 11 has a 720p display... Whats the point being able to take 4k videos when you can only watch it on a terrible 720p display?

Yet some how the iPhone always beats Android phones in speedtests even when they have double or sometimes triple the RAM in iPhones. If anything this is one of the first time an Android (Note 10+) has beaten an iPhone out of the gate. Maybe I just don't use that many apps but I've never once felt like the iPhone was lacking in RAM. Only time I remember how little it has is when everyone says it only has 4GB.

Is a 4K screen at that size going to be vastly superior? My friends Sony phone had a 4K screen. He probably used it handful of times before disabling it for battery life. It's just not that big of a deal on a small phone screen. The best thing about recording in 4K is when you decide to play it on a TV or a bigger screen that can actually take advantage of the resolution. I love that I am able to look at videos I recorded in Thailand when the 7+ was released and it's still nice to watch the footage now because it was recording in 4K. I couldn't care less that the small screen wasn't displaying in 4K.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Yet some how the iPhone always beats Android phones in speedtests even when they have double or sometimes triple the RAM in iPhones. If anything this is one of the first time an Android (Note 10+) has beaten an iPhone out of the gate. Maybe I just don't use that many apps but I've never once felt like the iPhone was lacking in RAM. Only time I remember how little it has is when everyone says it only has 4GB.

Is a 4K screen at that size going to be vastly superior? My friends Sony phone had a 4K screen. He probably used it handful of times before disabling it for battery life. It's just not that big of a deal on a small phone screen. The best thing about recording in 4K is when you decide to play it on a TV or a bigger screen that can actually take advantage of the resolution. I love that I am able to look at videos I recorded in Thailand when the 7+ was released and it's still nice to watch the footage now because it was recording in 4K. I couldn't care less that the small screen wasn't displaying in 4K.

The iphone was beating it in speed tests, until recently where the lack of ram is the reason why its lost. Not sure if you've seen the phonebuff speed test on youtube with the pro max vs note 10+, but the iphone had a decent lead when the test was all about the processor (in which apple excels) but the 2nd round of the speed test, when it was more about RAM, the iphone was massively slower.. If the iphone just had a few gb of extra ram, it would have destroyed the note 10+, but because its lacking, its being held back. Of course it varies from user to user, but I personally do keep a lot of apps open in the background, and if they need to refresh and reopen every time I go back to them, its annoying compared to having it instantly there and available. For a user like you who doesnt keep many apps open in the background, it will likely hardly make a difference though.

4k screen is still superior, but of course thats a big jump, especially on a tiny screen, and will just drain the battery. But i think 1440p is a good sweet spot. If that can be added as an ios feature where you can choose the screen resolution, thats probably the best way to go about it.

Also, I dont usually view my videos on a bigger monitor, and usually just view them on my phone. So i'd prefer to have them as best looking as possible. Im sure as hell if you were to have a 1080p display next to a 1440p display despite it being a smaller screen, that you'd be able to tell a difference.

Also, just to ask, why would you not want more RAM and a better display? It will only make the phone better, its not going to make it worse.

Soldato
The iphone was beating it in speed tests, until recently where the lack of ram is the reason why its lost. Not sure if you've seen the phonebuff speed test on youtube with the pro max vs note 10+, but the iphone had a decent lead when the test was all about the processor (in which apple excels) but the 2nd round of the speed test, when it was more about RAM, the iphone was massively slower.. If the iphone just had a few gb of extra ram, it would have destroyed the note 10+, but because its lacking, its being held back. Of course it varies from user to user, but I personally do keep a lot of apps open in the background, and if they need to refresh and reopen every time I go back to them, its annoying compared to having it instantly there and available. For a user like you who doesnt keep many apps open in the background, it will likely hardly make a difference though.

4k screen is still superior, but of course thats a big jump, especially on a tiny screen, and will just drain the battery. But i think 1440p is a good sweet spot. If that can be added as an ios feature where you can choose the screen resolution, thats probably the best way to go about it.

Also, I dont usually view my videos on a bigger monitor, and usually just view them on my phone. So i'd prefer to have them as best looking as possible. Im sure as hell if you were to have a 1080p display next to a 1440p display despite it being a smaller screen, that you'd be able to tell a difference.

Also, just to ask, why would you not want more RAM and a better display? It will only make the phone better, its not going to make it worse.

Maybe not Phonebuff but I do watch other speedtests which is why I know it's only just now that the Android phones have taken a step forwards (may be Samsung specific, I don't know) up until recently iPhones have always thrashed the competition and that was with 4GB or less. That and the time it takes to open apps is literally seconds at most. Not something that would annoy me.

4K screen is better on paper but at the cost of battery life? On the other hand, do you use the latest iPhones and genuinely think "You know what, this screen isn't sharp enough"? How much sharper does it really need to be before it's just another bullet point for a spec list. You look at phones like the ROG Phone 2 which has a spec-sheet which would worry most desktop PC's and laptops yet does that phone, despite having literally every flagship feature, make it a better phone than say an iPhone, Pixel or Samsung device?

If I'm already unable to see the pixels without a magnifying glass what benefit does a higher resolution screen really bring to a device with <7" display? What can a phone with a 1440p display do and show that the iPhone can't at it's native resolution (2560x1440 vs 2688x1242). The difference is so minute it's literally just for a spec sheet bragging. It's not just me that says this...

DisplayMate said:
"As a result, for Smartphones it is absolutely pointless to further increase the display resolution and pixels per inch (ppi) up to 4K (3940x2160 pixels) for a silly marketing wild goose chase into the stratosphere, with no visual benefit for humans!"

Source

So again, what benefit does these higher resolutions give you other than being able to say "My phone does this"

Well if you're not viewing your content on a bigger screen then it is you who is wasting what these phones are now capable of. Your wanting more when you're not even using what's been put in front of you the last few years.

I'm not against having more ram or a better screen. I even conceded that RAM will have more of a benefit, i just don't see the point for a 1440p screen on something that I want to put in my pocket. There's other features that I value above that.

-120Hz screen
- USB C
- Bring back 3D Touch
- Reduced or even complete removal of the notch
- Remove camera bumps

Those are the things I care about more than increasing screen resolution, just because.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Maybe not Phonebuff but I do watch other speedtests which is why I know it's only just now that the Android phones have taken a step forwards (may be Samsung specific, I don't know) up until recently iPhones have always thrashed the competition and that was with 4GB or less. That and the time it takes to open apps is literally seconds at most. Not something that would annoy me.

4K screen is better on paper but at the cost of battery life? On the other hand, do you use the latest iPhones and genuinely think "You know what, this screen isn't sharp enough"? How much sharper does it really need to be before it's just another bullet point for a spec list. You look at phones like the ROG Phone 2 which has a spec-sheet which would worry most desktop PC's and laptops yet does that phone, despite having literally every flagship feature, make it a better phone than say an iPhone, Pixel or Samsung device?

If I'm already unable to see the pixels without a magnifying glass what benefit does a higher resolution screen really bring to a device with <7" display? What can a phone with a 1440p display do and show that the iPhone can't at it's native resolution (2560x1440 vs 2688x1242). The difference is so minute it's literally just for a spec sheet bragging. It's not just me that says this...

So again, what benefit does these higher resolutions give you other than being able to say "My phone does this"

Well if you're not viewing your content on a bigger screen then it is you who is wasting what these phones are now capable of. Your wanting more when you're not even using what's been put in front of you the last few years.

I'm not against having more ram or a better screen. I even conceded that RAM will have more of a benefit, i just don't see the point for a 1440p screen on something that I want to put in my pocket. There's other features that I value above that.

-120Hz screen
- USB C
- Bring back 3D Touch
- Reduced or even complete removal of the notch
- Remove camera bumps

Those are the things I care about more than increasing screen resolution, just because.

Yeah I mean, im not saying ive always needed/wanted more RAM because it just hasn't been necessary for me, but its just as of recently I have noticed the advantage it brings simply by having more. Androids have only caught up in regards to having better processors, and its because of that they are able to take advantage of that extra ram. A few years ago they still had a big ram advtange, but because of the weaker processors, iphones were still much faster to use on a day to day basis. Hence why I think now is a good time to add more RAM in.

From a display perspective, The difference is probably minute going from what we have currently to a 1440p resolution. Its more of a OCD thing for me and 1440p is a more recognized standard to have, instead of what it is now.

Also, im not saying that making that display a little sharper is a MUST have feature for me, or the extra RAM, but I do think it's a nice realistic addition that apple can make within a years time.
I would easily put 120hz display, notchless design and USBC above the ram and display for example as I think those are more important.

Of course I can hope for other unlikely features, but those are just that; unlikely! Whereas ram increase (which they've been increasing steadily over the past few years anyway) and a sharper display doesnt seem to difficult to achieve, especially considering the amount of people who seem to complain about the display, in particular of the 11 and the 11 pro. If you just compare those displays with what you get in a flagship android (like the oneplus 7 pro or the S10/N10+) their screens are clearly superior imo.

Soldato
Ordered an 11 Pro through virgin last night, they are stating delivery early November. Has anyone ordered through them and received the handset already or is it a huge backlog?

Different supplier but EE were quoting 14 days lead-time by EE for a Pro Max 256GB last Wednesday. Ordered Thursday, phone arrived Saturday.

Soldato
Yeah I mean, im not saying ive always needed/wanted more RAM because it just hasn't been necessary for me, but its just as of recently I have noticed the advantage it brings simply by having more. Androids have only caught up in regards to having better processors, and its because of that they are able to take advantage of that extra ram. A few years ago they still had a big ram advtange, but because of the weaker processors, iphones were still much faster to use on a day to day basis. Hence why I think now is a good time to add more RAM in.

From a display perspective, The difference is probably minute going from what we have currently to a 1440p resolution. Its more of a OCD thing for me and 1440p is a more recognized standard to have, instead of what it is now.

Also, im not saying that making that display a little sharper is a MUST have feature for me, or the extra RAM, but I do think it's a nice realistic addition that apple can make within a years time.
I would easily put 120hz display, notchless design and USBC above the ram and display for example as I think those are more important.

Of course I can hope for other unlikely features, but those are just that; unlikely! Whereas ram increase (which they've been increasing steadily over the past few years anyway) and a sharper display doesnt seem to difficult to achieve, especially considering the amount of people who seem to complain about the display, in particular of the 11 and the 11 pro. If you just compare those displays with what you get in a flagship android (like the oneplus 7 pro or the S10/N10+) their screens are clearly superior imo.

For what it is worth, those screens are not clearly superior as the 11 Pro Max won the best display award.

Back
Top Bottom