The Tesla Thread

Associate
So I had a brief 15min test drive in the model 3 performance yesterday. Was in a bit of a rush so didn’t have much chance to play with music or other car controls etc.

positives it is quick, very quick. Seemed to handle well for weight. Seats felt comfy. Steering felt pretty nice for type of car. Nice amount of space inside. Auto pilot seemed to work ok for the short couple of mins I tried it. First time driving an electric car and you get the hand of regen quickly.

Negatives sat nav view - can you change orientation? some of the materials felt a bit cheap. Does anyone think they will offer a non top down view in an update in the future?

is the sound system any good?
how do the brakes fair done if my other cars if stood would rust on brakes pretty quick when wet - due to the regen is this likely gonna be worse or are they coated/ different material to stop degradation through lack of use?

I’m probably going to order one

Soldato
Google doesn't tell me , was there also (in addition to home one) a serious subsidy for public chargers , or what is the business plan for the companies offering some 'free' electricity ?; are they perfecting the apps and technology so need the usage to optimize those.

Associate
So I had a brief 15min test drive in the model 3 performance yesterday. Was in a bit of a rush so didn’t have much chance to play with music or other car controls etc.

positives it is quick, very quick. Seemed to handle well for weight. Seats felt comfy. Steering felt pretty nice for type of car. Nice amount of space inside. Auto pilot seemed to work ok for the short couple of mins I tried it. First time driving an electric car and you get the hand of regen quickly.

Negatives sat nav view - can you change orientation? some of the materials felt a bit cheap. Does anyone think they will offer a non top down view in an update in the future?

how do the brakes fair done if my other cars if stood would rust on brakes pretty quick when wet - due to the regen is this likely gonna be worse or are they coated/ different material to stop degradation through lack of use?

How/where do you organise a test drive?

Associate
Just google Tesla test drive.

I would have had to wait for a few weeks as they get booked up but rang again said was keen to have a test drive this weekend and apparently they keep certain time periods free at the weekend and you can maybe arrange one if you turn up then. I ended up turning up a bit late but managed to get one sorted

nam

nam

Soldato
15 min test drive and your placing a order , which model 3 are you going to order ?

Associate
The performance. I might nip back to check out music etc but space in the back seemed fine (got kids and one of them went with me) Sat nav was a bit annoying coming from CarPlay.
Think I will lease through company for 2-3 years rather than buy.

Associate
Just google Tesla test drive.

I would have had to wait for a few weeks as they get booked up but rang again said was keen to have a test drive this weekend and apparently they keep certain time periods free at the weekend and you can maybe arrange one if you turn up then. I ended up turning up a bit late but managed to get one sorted

I googled it before posting. No joy. Are you in the UK?
I looked at trying to get a test drive 3 or 4 months ago, but there is a total lack of info on official website.

Associate
Thanks danielson yeah in uk. A google for that worked fine and was the advice giving when I rang up the local Tesla garage. But that link should get you there.

Soldato

I have a performance-. The premium sound system is excellent, but the Spotify and TuneIn apps leave a lot to be desired tbh. They do work, but the shortfalls are:
  • Spotify doesn't do offline music, so good luck if you are in a bad coverage area, and despite what people will say about the roaming sim, it does happen.
  • Spotify doesnt let you change the view to anything smaller than massive album arts (see point 3)
  • Spotify doesnt support viewing folders of playlists like carplay, iOS or the desktop app do, instead it expands them all out into a flat view. You can imagine what its like to navigate if you have a large library. Especially given point 2.
  • TuneIn is laughably bad for podcasts. For example, I can't look at anything earlier than episode 50 in some of the longer running ones, meaning I basically cant start from the beginning. So currently im listening to them using my phone. Not ideal, and you cant browse the history of them over bluetooth either, just forward and back.
I raised these issues with Tesla and didnt get a response, so who knows if it will improve. Tbh I think Musk just needs to suck it up and integrate Carplay and Android audio. It would look awesome in one of those swipe-up drawers that the car uses for everything.

Nav view cant be changed sadly, but i agree that it needs to. I really do love the car and love driving, but Tesla need to deprioritise fart apps and games, and focus on basic functionality that has been in other cars for ten years. Like Sat nav views, sat nav waypoints etc. These are all missing.

Soldato
Forgot to mention, you can use voice controls to search for the playlists, but again, its a bit pony. Imagine searching for a playlist of ACDC songs, it just returns all results across the entirely of spotify, it doesn't separate out your playlists and put them first. Also, any collaborative playlist you have wont show up at all!

Associate
Thanks @Rich,

thanks for the extra info.
As you say the car is very good and I agree hope some other aspects are sorted soon. I think I’ll get one anyway and I think the sat nav was a bit more jarring as I had just come from using car play on the way there and think it was set to north so took me a while mentally to work out if I needed to turn right or left as soon as I got out the car park.

Associate
Thanks I’ve been reading a bit more about it and gathered as much. As I only had 10-15 mins I didn’t have much of a play but think that should make it a lot better (still not as good as CarPlay though)

Soldato
why not take advantage of the free charging - that's what it's there for.....I topped up from 55% to 90% in 25 minutes whilst watching youtube and drinking a coffee.

I could have sat in the swimming pool instead.

You do realise it’s bad for the battery to not keep it plugged in at home (I.e. charging overnight)?

nam

nam

Soldato
not everyone will have access to overnight charging outside there home or apartment. The only access they will have is use free charging where avaliable or Tesla super or destination charger

I am certainly one of those who has no option to charge overnight

You do realise it’s bad for the battery to not keep it plugged in at home (I.e. charging overnight)?

Soldato

It doesn't matter what you do as long as the battery doesn't deplete completely - Not plugging it in all the time has very little if any effect.

Hundreds of people in the states have no home charging and only use superchargers and have been doing it like that for a few years now.

Even if I didn't have the current issues I have with home charging, I won't be doing that every night.

Soldato
That's mainly for thermal management in extreme temperatures. The UK doesn't get hot or cold enough to trouble it. In desert like heat the battery will use its own charge to cool itself, so it runs into issues if it isn't plugged in and runs out of power.

Sentry mode also uses a lot of power (disables automatically at 20%).

Only sitting at very low charge or near 100% for long periods will trouble it in the UK. If it doesn't go above 80% for ages it might lose some balancing between cells but a long charge will correct this.

Back
Top Bottom