The Tesla Thread

Associate
I would be able to charge daily once I get a charger sorted but would probably just do it as needed 2-3 times a week.

@booyaka, @jamoor,
Did you guys get a model 3 through your limited company (as a company car).
If so who did you end up using for insurance? If leased did you sort gap insurance as well?

Soldato
I would be able to charge daily once I get a charger sorted but would probably just do it as needed 2-3 times a week.

@booyaka, @jamoor,
Did you guys get a model 3 through your limited company (as a company car).
If so who did you end up using for insurance? If leased did you sort gap insurance as well?

yes to my Ltd company - they own the car (as per V5) - Used LV for insurance. Bought outright with EST loan in Scotland.

Soldato
Can I ask what some of you are paying for insurance? I'm coming from a Mk5 Golf Ed30 so pay roughly £500 then another £300 roughly on maintenance.

I'm mulling over the idea of getting a new Model 3 performance, so I'm weighing up what it all will end up costing - I'm even thinking about solar panels, it just doesn't end..

Soldato
Can I ask what some of you are paying for insurance? I'm coming from a Mk5 Golf Ed30 so pay roughly £500 then another £300 roughly on maintenance.

I'm mulling over the idea of getting a new Model 3 performance, so I'm weighing up what it all will end up costing - I'm even thinking about solar panels, it just doesn't end..

Love the idea of solar panels/Powerwall but for now need to sort out current issues with charging before moving on to next item!!haha

Insurance wise - £600 annual for me. That's with 2 claims in last 5 years, 43 years old, business commuting. SR+

Soldato
Love the idea of solar panels/Powerwall but for now need to sort out current issues with charging before moving on to next item!!haha

Insurance wise - £600 annual for me. That's with 2 claims in last 5 years, 43 years old, business commuting. SR+

So all being equal it'll be roughly the same for me, good stuff. Cheers!

I'm looking to get everything aligned for March'ish next year, car, charger and hopefully Solar panels. The main issue/unknown is the lead time on the cars, I'm going to a Tesla store later this week/early next so I will know a lot more then.

Soldato
The main issue/unknown is the lead time on the cars, I'm going to a Tesla store later this week/early next so I will know a lot more then.

You may think you know more but in reality cars seem to allocated by a random number generator. People who ordered back in May/June still waiting for cars and people who ordered in August who got cars a couple of weeks later.

Some of it can be explained by people in May/June ordering cars with 19” wheels (no longer an option) or tow hooks but not all of it. Take anything you are told with a very large pinch of salt (we were told not to expect a car until November when we ordered in August) and know going in that communication from Tesla once you have ordered will likely be non-existent if you are lucky or just wrong if you are not.

Soldato
Interesting that the Tesla UK website is no longer showing any used Model S, and instead is showing 50 (yes, 50!) brand new examples in stock!
Inventory management perhaps not going so well.

p.s. Has anyone read Ed Niedermeyer's book "Ludicrous - the Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors"? I'm about half way through it. I'd recommend it to all Tesla owners or would-be owners, or anyone interested in the automotive industry in general. :)

Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ludicrous-Unvarnished-Story-Tesla-Motors/dp/1948836122

Soldato
p.s. Has anyone read Ed Niedermeyer's book "Ludicrous - the Unvarnished Story of Tesla Motors"? I'm about half way through it. I'd recommend it to all Tesla owners or would-be owners, or anyone interested in the automotive industry in general. :)

And I'd recommend people don't waste hours of their life reading the opinions of a renowned Tesla FUDster, who is extremely active in the so-called TSLAQ community. The book is nothing more than an opinion-filled **** piece crafted by a misguided person jealous of another's achievements. Who famously created the "Tesla deathwatch".

I don't know how knowledgeable you are about Tesla or know much about the history of Niedermeyer, Joe T, but if you feel you're being educated by that book then think again. And please, could you try to keep your future posts on the Tesla Model 3 thread relevant to the Tesla Model 3? Not spreading the opinions of a well-known individual poisoned against the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
And I'd recommend people don't waste hours of their life reading the opinions of a renowned Tesla shortseller, who is extremely active in the so-called TSLAQ community. The book is nothing more than an opinion-filled (s)hit piece crafted by a misguided person jealous of another's achievements. Who famously created the "Tesla deathwatch".

I don't know how knowledgeable you are about Tesla or know much about the history of Niedermeyer, Joe T, but if you feel you're being educated by that book then think again. And please, could you try to keep your future posts on the Tesla Model 3 thread relevant to the Tesla Model 3? Not spreading the opinions of a well-known shortseller against the company.

For the record, I dont have a strong view either way on Tesla. But it's fascinating how polarising the subject it, as demonstrated by your post. :)

Soldato
For the record, I dont have a strong view either way on Tesla. But it's fascinating how polarising the subject it, as demonstrated by your post. :)

Fair enough, and I agree it is a fascinating story with two very polarising sides to it. As for myself, I've been following the company and their achievements very closely for many years now. I've seen the story unfold and many a story spun about them. And gloomy predictions that have now been proven untrue. As you can see I am not a fan of individuals like Niedermeyer or what he stands for. I also appreciate what Musk has achieved/is achieving. I don't take kindly to the individuals out there who make it their mission to try to bring that all down (Niedermeyer and the like).

As for the Model 3, it's a vehicle I've been following since before its official unveiling. Knowing what I do about the company, I had no doubt then that it was going to shake up the EV industry and have a broader impact as well. I had to wade through so many articles saying they'd never be able to produce it in any volume, there would be no demand, the company will go bankrupt before anybody can buy it etc. etc. And some of this spread on otherwise well-respected media outlets. I'm very happy with how the vehicle has turned out and how popular it has become and am looking forward to seeing Tesla's future endeavours.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting that the Tesla UK website is no longer showing any used Model S, and instead is showing 50 (yes, 50!) brand new examples in stock!
Inventory management perhaps not going so well.

50 cars in stock for the whole of the UK is hardly a problem is it? They were selling nearly 70 model 3’s a day in August. It’s only a problem if they are all still sat there in a month or two. You’ll never know that though by just looking at the website because stock will be replenished fairly regularly.

How many 7 Series BMWs are kicking around at all the dealers? I’d be putting money on it’s more than 50.

Soldato
Good stuff.

I do wonder if Ed get's more of a bad rap than he deserves. The book so far seems pretty balanced to me. Also, while he may have authored the "Tesla Death Watch" for 12 months or so, he at the same time was writing "Death Watch" blogs for each of GM, Ford and Chrysler. This was around the time that all 4 were in potential financial difficulty.

I also dont think it's been proved that he has any financial positions either way on the company (more than you can say for the likes of Lambert etc).

I am reading the book as well as many other sources and making up my own mind. :)

Soldato
50 cars in stock for the whole of the UK is hardly a problem is it? They were selling nearly 70 model 3’s a day in August. It’s only a problem if they are all still sat there in a month or two. You’ll never know that though by just looking at the website because stock will be replenished fairly regularly.

How many 7 Series BMWs are kicking around at all the dealers? I’d be putting money on it’s more than 50.

It's more that recently it's been trending at 1-2 new units in stock with a lot more (30-50?) used units. Suddenly, they've got a glut of new units (clearly not building to order as much as I thought) and to make sure they sell through them they have taken down the used stock. But, like you say, it will be interesting to see how long this position lasts. Perhaps a boat has just arrived! :)

Soldato
Good stuff.

I do wonder if Ed get's more of a bad rap than he deserves. The book so far seems pretty balanced to me. Also, while he may have authored the "Tesla Death Watch" for 12 months or so, he at the same time was writing "Death Watch" blogs for each of GM, Ford and Chrysler. This was around the time that all 4 were in potential financial difficulty.

Perhaps so. I think his views are very polarising and that perhaps makes people demonise him unfairly at times. For example, he has recently been critical towards the Porsche Taycan for its price vs. features and performance. He is critical of certain aspects of various companies and products (not just Tesla).

Soldato
Perhaps a boat has just arrived! :)

This, it’s pretty well known they build all the cars for international markets at the same time and ship them so they can deliver before the end of the quarter.

They also don’t build cars to order. There are so few combinations they just match new orders to cars already built.

Soldato
This, it’s pretty well known they build all the cars for international markets at the same time and ship them so they can deliver before the end of the quarter.

They also don’t build cars to order. There are so few combinations they just match new orders to cars already built.

Makes sense, although perhaps a little extreme to remove all of the used ones for sale. A £40k used customer is not the same customer as a £75k+ new customer.

Anyways, let's get back to the Model 3. :)

Back
Top Bottom