Making money from domain names

Soldato
Is it still possible to make money from domain names? How would you go about selling one or is it a case of holding onto them until someone makes an offer?

Associate
I was listening to a podcast recently where a guy who had just started his business was talking about buying the domain name he really wanted, he ended up paying a $1000 dollars for it from the existing owner. Do you currently own some or are thinking of starting to buy up now?

Soldato
Think most of this stopped when the anticybersquatting act came to be.

Cybersquatting (also known as domain squatting), according to the United States federal law known as the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, is registering, trafficking in, or using an Internet domain name with bad faith intent to profit from the goodwill of a trademark belonging to someone else. The cybersquatter then offers to sell the domain to the person or company who owns a trademark contained within the name at an inflated price.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

Soldato
OP
I was listening to a podcast recently where a guy who had just started his business was talking about buying the domain name he really wanted, he ended up paying a $1000 dollars for it from the existing owner. Do you currently own some or are thinking of starting to buy up now?

Already own, have done for years and was meant for a new venture but never got off the ground. It's not an amazing one so I expect I will just let it lapse.

Thanks

Soldato
Yeah, no. Unless you beat marketing teams to it like the recent Fallout guy (not that he's selling). Most new things will check if you domain's available as a first.

On the other hand one of my friends was offered $20,000 for his Instagram username and he said no.

Back
Top Bottom