Star Citizen - Is it worth playing yet?

Soldato
OP
Think about this way though, you're one of the smarter backers, you only let yourself get robbed once. Some of the idiots still backing this sham are thousands deep now and on top of that have a serious kool-aid addiction.
I don't feel so bad... not for those who poured hard earned cash into it anyway haha!

Soldato
Backers should look on the bright side.

Chris and his wife will live handsomely for the rest of their lives in their 5 million dollar mansion and off funds transferred to offshore accounts.

You haven't been robbed, you've contributed to making a few people incredibly rich and happy.

Soldato
I was one of the first 30,000 backers and I asked for a refund in 2016 or 2017 for the £30 pledge I made. They gave me back the money and I still kept my account, just with no ship. Then I sold my account for £200 3 months ago.

Thanks Star Citizen

Associate
why would they be in a rush to 'finish' it when the money is still pouring in

I think they're getting to the point that the money might still be coming in but at such a reduced rate that the end is nigh. I doubt any new fresh blood will be investing and the old timers are dropping out.

I still think they can make a fantastic game as what they've created so far is jaw dropping but it's a simulation not a game, that also happens to run poorly.

Soldato
I was one of the first 30,000 backers and I asked for a refund in 2016 or 2017 for the £30 pledge I made. They gave me back the money and I still kept my account, just with no ship. Then I sold my account for £200 3 months ago.

Thanks Star Citizen

How did you manage that? why is a an accouint with no ships in it so valuable?

Man of Honour

Chris and his wife will live handsomely for the rest of their lives in their 5 million dollar mansion and off funds transferred to offshore accounts.

You haven't been robbed, you've contributed to making a few people incredibly rich and happy.

That cracked me up. There is probably some truth to it too. I've said it before, but while people continue to throw money at them there is absolutely no incentive to actually finish the game.

I sold my account to a friend, and not too long ago that same friend got in contact and tried to sell it back to me for half of what he paid. :D

Brilliant.

Soldato
Some older accounts include certain limited edition perks, such as Life Time Insurance on all your ships.
Later on some ships came with LTI, for a limited period... and then they re-introduced LTI on some ships.... and then again, and again, and again.

Turns out insurance costs pennies anyway, but LTI was one of the major perks that everyone was flipping out over... presumably because their only experience of actual insurance is paying £6k for new-driver cover on their clapped out first-car 1L Polo, so thought in-game insurance with in-game credits would be similarly insane.

Right, I noticed they kept moving the financial goalposts, obviously ship insurance was just another one of their scams.

Soldato

They are blind. They do not see that at the start of 2019 Chris brought an investor to keep the project afloat, as it was on last 5 millions of the crowd funding $300mil.
Mind my words, next year going to bring a publisher also hehehe :D

Also many forgot the $46 million spent for the marketing campaign of the SQ42 and the millions spent to buy top of the range rigs sent to the apostles spreading the word err I mean youtubers backing the game. :D

Soldato
But it's not??? It's a money scam lol. I tried to run it on a 8700k @5ghz, and a 2080 ti 1440p... It barely touched 15 fps. It's an absolute shamble.

Last time I tried it (6 months back) in free week I had 60fps on ryzen 2700X/RTX2080Ti. It looked and played great, although there were few glitches occasionally.

Also, this nonsense about it being "scam" is just so damn dumb. There are so much easier ways to scam people of money than to assemble team of 500 developers and work on a game for 6 years.

Man of Honour
Last time I tried it (6 months back) in free week I had 60fps on ryzen 2700X/RTX2080Ti. It looked and played great, although there were few glitches occasionally.

Also, this nonsense about it being "scam" is just so damn dumb. There are so much easier ways to scam people of money than to assemble team of 500 developers and work on a game for 6 years.

I don’t know, this was pretty effective and legal too. It also was the beginning of the end for successful kickstarters.

Soldato

You've obviously not read the business history of Chris Roberts prior to this game.............

Chris Roberts had stated that if at least $23 million could be raised over the course of the crowdfunding campaign, no outside investors' or developers' funding would be required

as he sits in his million pound mansion.

Associate
I got an account in 2014. Its just ridiculous that this is still in an alpha state after all this time. I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of class action lawsuit in the USA.....I thought they sued for just about anything these days :)

Soldato
Short answer no not worth it.

Long answer: worth popping in for a quick hour to see what they have done. But then once you realise they are making a game with zero gameplay just pretty graphics, you will just uninstall and forget about it.

a lot of it still feels like different games pieced together with the worlds worst gaffer tape.

Associate
Chucked them £30 gawd knows how long ago on a punt that they might just pull off something special. Worth the risk imo for the scope of the project.
Don't know why they couldn't have realised some single player sub games along the lines of I-War or freespace with what they've already done with the engine. Leave out the fps elements. Just keep the interest and revenue up. Bit of a joke SQ42 wasn't released yet.

Can only think the engine is fundamentally not good enough for a release title with incurable bugs/performance issues. Fine for a tech demo but nothing else.

Anyway, if they ever get it out fair play. I won't lose too much sleep over £30.

If I'd been sucked down the rabbit hole of spending $$$$ I think I'd be typing something else.

Back
Top Bottom