Test driving a car, with suspended insurance

Associate
Hi all,

I suspended my car insurance, as my car got scrapped (SORN'ed) and now on the lookout for a new car. I am planning on looking at one in the next few days, but wanted to know, would i be able to test drive it, if my current car insurance is suspended?

Thanks imn advance.

Caporegime
Hi all,

I suspended my car insurance, as my car got scrapped (SORN'ed) and now on the lookout for a new car. I am planning on looking at one in the next few days, but wanted to know, would i be able to test drive it, if my current car insurance is suspended?

Thanks imn advance.
Isn't this the point of trade plates? Many insurance companies don't insure for driving other cars so dealers can't expect ecmveryone who arrives to test drive a car to have adequate cover. Bring your licence.

Soldato
Isn't this the point of trade plates? Many insurance companies don't insure for driving other cars so dealers can't expect ecmveryone who arrives to test drive a car to have adequate cover. Bring your licence.

Trade plates are for tax not insurance.

OP if you’re planning on going to look at a car from a proper dealer you’ll almost certainly be covered fully comp to drive under their motor policy. However, if you’re going to look at a private sale then no, I doubt you’ll be insured with suspended insurance, obviously your provider could give you this information over the phone. I guess a big tell tale would be if you’re actually still paying your premium or not.

Edit: You’ll be fully insured at a dealer providing a salesman is on the test drive with you.

Edit2: Don't expect to be test driving private sale cars on your own DOC policy. You’ll only be covered third party if you have a smash.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Unless your insurance specifically covers it or the seller has some kind of cover or adds a driver before testing you probably won't be insured on a test drive of a private seller - a lot of people just chance it.

Dealers normally have a special case insurance setup for test drives and as long as you have a valid license that is all that matters - though I've encountered dealers before who don't actually have the proper insurance in place :s

Caporegime
You’ll be fully insured at a dealer providing a salesman is on the test drive with you.

Can’t recall the last time a salesperson came with me on a test drive from a main dealer, smaller back St. outfits yes.

Most recently was Sytner BMW Leicester, had a play around for 15 minutes in a new 3 series yet they didn’t even ask for a copy of my license, I pulled it out of my wallet and he just waived at me to put it back, might have been interesting if I’d had a bump but I didn’t.

Back
Top Bottom