Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX now $130

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Currently discounted to $130, down from normal price of $180.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

I've had my eye on the Senn HD 6xx for a long time, which are $220, but not quite brought myself to buy them (largely because I don't even use my Audio-Technica ATH AD700 as much as I should), but I've also got these HIFIMAN cans on my watch list.

What do people think? Excellent deal? Good choice, or better to put money towards Senn HD 6xx? Are these significantly better than my current Audio-Technica ATH AD700?

Soldato
Soldato
I own these headphones and I really rate them. They're my first pair of open-back headphones so I'm not able to compare them too well, though I do also own the Sony WH1000XM3 and prior to the HE4XX I owned some Audio-Technica M50X (plus I also own some Tin HiFi T3 earphones). I use them with a pretty basic DAC, the Schiit Fulla 2.

Soldato
Can't you just use an adapter for it?

Yeah you can, infact double check the items Massdrop sells a number are capable of actually working out the box on our power supply, and I have done as such. Just need to switch out the American power cable for a UK kettle lead. They have actually on occasions sold items specifically for markets other then US.

As for legit, also yes. Brought loads of headphones from their site. Some of thier custom designs are very solid. This HD6XX is exactly the same thing as the HD650 but cheaper then some unique models like 58x etc.

Just need to be wary though, when ordering you will be hit with customs and all that. Only time you won't is with items they sell with an EU flag (until we leave EU I suppose) as those items are at an EU warehouse, but usually a few bucks more (still work out cheaper then bringing from US though)

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I visit the US with work, so can get them delivered to US office to avoid import.

Just got an email that Sennheiser HD6XX down to $195 this week... Hmmm, what to do?

Soldato
I visit the US with work, so can get them delivered to US office to avoid import.

Just got an email that Sennheiser HD6XX down to $195 this week... Hmmm, what to do?

Well worth it IMO, what works out to by £150 if your grabbing them when in the states. If you don't like them, can flog them off on the bay, can make your money back + some as they go above that, even used a fair bit.

Fantastic headphones the HD6xx / 650 for that price. They are my all around headphones work well with everything I feel. I do have better headphones in some areas (HD800s, 660s, 712's) etc and even then the 650 / 6xx are astonishingly competent IMO and will pick them up over others now and then without hesitation. IMO one of the staple headphones you can get and as I say and suspect they will always be in my rotation, for £150 absolute cracking deal.

Would follow up with reviews of course, but across the board sound great.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Funny, I've been checking out a lot of reviews comparing the HE4XX and HD6XX, and many comment on the superior build quality of the HifiMan!

Associate
brought a set via massdrop a couple of years now, initial head band broke within the first 3 mths I had them, they sent me a replacement and its been fine since.

Bought a pair from massdrop eu store, apart from sucking a lot more power from my ancient aune compared to my modded hd579, build quality is spot on and loving the sound.

maj

maj

Soldato
Tempted by these as always wanted to hear what planar sounds like. These would predominantly be used for music leaving my K7XX for just gaming. If I were to use these on the go, what sort of power do they need? The whole ohms and sensitivity always confuses me. I do have a FiiO E07K going spare which will hopefully provide enough power.

Does anyone know if you buy from the Drop EU site, if you are then still liable for import duty?

Back
Top Bottom