**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
That's not to say that I don't think the 4 is a bad phone, far from it. You choose an iPhone or Pixel, you're going to get great software and great photos. But it's clear iPhone has caught up so it's much of a muchness on that front. Google need to work a bit harder on the battery front. Is that due to with the 4 being the first main Pixel phone the HTC team has worked on being the issue? I think it could be. Maybe after another year of working together they can get it right.
Lol Google ******** the bed once again, is not a HTC issue.
Yes they brought in engineers from HTC, but I don’t believe that’s the issue.

Google has every year in some capacity fallen off the mark with aspects of their phones, there’s something else going wrong at Google and it’s not HTC.

There are people that sign off on these things.

Associate
Lol Google ******** the bed once again, is not a HTC issue.
Yes they brought in engineers from HTC, but I don’t believe that’s the issue.

Google has every year in some capacity fallen off the mark with aspects of their phones, there’s something else going wrong at Google and it’s not HTC.

There are people that sign off on these things.

Perhaps. Just throwing out suggestions I guess. I mean the battery on the Pixel 4 is bigger than my current battery on my XS so technically I shouldn't see any issues and get better battery life.

Soldato
It's as if they design Pixels for themselves and not for the mass consumer. A place full of genius' and they just seem so out of sync with what people want. Google R&D - like a lighthouse in the desert, bright but useless.

Associate
Face unlock only being supported by like 5 apps is ridiculous, when Apple switched to Face ID everything that supported Touch ID was automatically supported. For most apps on the new Pixel's you're going to be typing in passwords again.

Nuts.

I've flipped to an iPhone 11 (kept the 3XL herself remodelled the screen on though), change from fingerprint to face just works... insane that Google haven't following the same path!

Soldato
It's as if they design Pixels for themselves and not for the mass consumer. A place full of genius' and they just seem so out of sync with what people want. Google R&D - like a lighthouse in the desert, bright but useless.

I do think there is a little bit of this here, Google never seem to 'get' people. This goes across all their products, not just phones.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Today is Pixel 4 review day around most tech parts of the internet and we won’t be joining in because, well, vacation. Our review will be up tomorrow or Wednesday, but I did want to point out something before we get there for those who may have a pre-order you’ve been nervous about. I wanted to talk battery life for the regular Pixel 4, which is the version I’ve been testing for the past week.

To put it bluntly, battery life has been borderline horrible.
https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/21/pixel-4-battery-life/

Oof. I said it a few times in this thread, the regular P4's battery was going to be bad. Seems it doesn't even last a day.

Associate
https://www.droid-life.com/2019/10/21/pixel-4-battery-life/

Oof. I said it a few times in this thread, the regular P4's battery was going to be bad. Seems it doesn't even last a day.

That's just not acceptable in 2019/2020 - 2 video reviews (Mr Mobile and Tech Spurt) have also confirmed how poor the standard 4 is for endurance.

I wouldn't have minded a slightly smaller phone but that is a complete deal-breaker. It's like going back to the Nexus 4 days!

Associate
I really dont understand Googles choice here regarding battery.
Why would you stick a 90hz display which will use more powder and reduce the battery.

Apple nailed the camera and battery this year, kudos to them.

Funnily enough the battery life on my 7 is pushing me to get the 11 Pro next month.

Last edited:
Associate
I really dont understand Googles choice here regarding battery.
Why would you stick a 90hz display which will use more powder and reduce the battery.

Apple nailed the camera and battery this year, kudos to them.

Funnily enough the battery life on my 7 is pushing me to get the 11 Pro next month.

Like I said earlier, if they put in proper fast charging, that would have been fine. I don't mind giving a phone a quick blast for a top up - Especially if the whole experience is top notch.

Associate
Like I said earlier, if they put in proper fast charging, that would have been fine. I don't mind giving a phone a quick blast for a top up - Especially if the whole experience is top notch.
What’s proper fast charging, do you mean like a OnePlus dash charge equivalent?

For me still I’d expect my phone in 2019 to comfortably last me a “working” day at least, regardless of a fast charging solution but obviously that helps.

Soldato

For me still I’d expect my phone in 2019 to comfortably last me a “working” day at least, regardless of a fast charging solution.

A lot of other manufacturers are adding in 25, 30 or even 45w charging. I think this is all proprietary rather than USB PD though?

Soldato
So I just got round to Linus' review. I don't know what to take away from his. He seems to actually like it?? He's usually the one reviewer I rely on to tell it like it is. Or maybe we're all misunderstood.

Associate

For me still I’d expect my phone in 2019 to comfortably last me a “working” day at least, regardless of a fast charging solution but obviously that helps.

Yeah, as Scott said, something like 25w and up. Something that'll get around 40% charge in 15 mins. But you're right, in 2019 you should expect to get around a days use from charge. My S8 gets to around 6pm and I'll have around 10-15% left, that's not even a heavy day haha

Soldato
I’m a bit gutted by the battery life to be fair. I’m quite a heavy user and going from an iPhone XR might be a bit of a downer on battery.

I will give it a chance though. I’m hopeful they might be able to rectify it with software updates.

Soldato
Google have certainly turned a bit more 'Apple-esque' over the years, the 'we only let you fast charge using google approved chargers' is a move I would expect from Apple.

Also, from a developer point of view, they are potentially more draconian with their review system as they tend to use bots which makes it almost impossible to communicate in terms of rejections etc, that said Apple are bad, but there are people to communicate with if needed.

That said, Pixel 4 XL still looks good to me, maybe the ultra-wide camera might be a miss, but I can't actually remember ever thinking of needing to use one before, so until it's on the (5?) then i'll wait!

Back
Top Bottom