• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
hi guys, im not sure if this is the best thread to post this but i'll slap it in here. I posted it on the reddit thread. Just some experimenting ive been doing and wondered if you guys wouls have similar results.

So, i'd boot up my PC and it would idle at 26c with Ryzen master running, core peeks speeds would idle around 290mhz. Nice and cool. This is with the hystogram chart updating in Ryzen master.

I would then browse on my pc, watch some twich, youtube etc. Play some games. Leave the PC on all day.

I then noticed that if I closed everything down, quit steam, quit epic game manager, closed chrome, my peak speed in Ryzen master wouldnt drop back to 290mhz, far from it, the longer I left the PC on, the higher the peak speed would be at idle.

I had the pc on for 8 hours, with some light browsing, few youtube vids etc, hystogram was running in the system tray minimised and my peak clock wouldnt drop below 1700mhz.

I then closed everything in task manager and I couldnt to see what whas affecting the cpu to keep this 1700mhz clock and couldnt get it to drop.

As soon as I resest the Hystogram log in Ryzen master it dropped 10c+.

I thought it was a fluke to so did some more tests (i'm an engineer, so I get all anal about testing).

If I leave Ryzen master running in the background without the hystogram enabled my temps dont creep up.

Ive had the pc on again now for about 10 hours, hystogram is off, Ive put the heating on so ambient has changed but im writing this post idling at 30c. With hystoram loggin on and letting it creep to a 1700mhz it was at 46c idle!!!

Infact, writing this post I left the hystogram on, my idle temps raised my 3c, I then turned off the hystogram again and it instantly dropped 3c back to 30c idle.

My specs are:

Taichi x570, 16gb gskill 3600c16 b +die, 3700x, Saphire Pulse 5700xt, some nvme drive.

It would be really interesting to see if this is something in Ryzen Master causing this or my setup.

Would love to here from anyone else if they see simialar results turning off the hystogram.

Matt

Soldato
hi guys, im not sure if this is the best thread to post this but i'll slap it in here. I posted it on the reddit thread. Just some experimenting ive been doing and wondered if you guys wouls have similar results.

So, i'd boot up my PC and it would idle at 26c with Ryzen master running, core peeks speeds would idle around 290mhz. Nice and cool. This is with the hystogram chart updating in Ryzen master.

I would then browse on my pc, watch some twich, youtube etc. Play some games. Leave the PC on all day.

I then noticed that if I closed everything down, quit steam, quit epic game manager, closed chrome, my peak speed in Ryzen master wouldnt drop back to 290mhz, far from it, the longer I left the PC on, the higher the peak speed would be at idle.

I had the pc on for 8 hours, with some light browsing, few youtube vids etc, hystogram was running in the system tray minimised and my peak clock wouldnt drop below 1700mhz.

I then closed everything in task manager and I couldnt to see what whas affecting the cpu to keep this 1700mhz clock and couldnt get it to drop.

As soon as I resest the Hystogram log in Ryzen master it dropped 10c+.

I thought it was a fluke to so did some more tests (i'm an engineer, so I get all anal about testing).

If I leave Ryzen master running in the background without the hystogram enabled my temps dont creep up.

Ive had the pc on again now for about 10 hours, hystogram is off, Ive put the heating on so ambient has changed but im writing this post idling at 30c. With hystoram loggin on and letting it creep to a 1700mhz it was at 46c idle!!!

Infact, writing this post I left the hystogram on, my idle temps raised my 3c, I then turned off the hystogram again and it instantly dropped 3c back to 30c idle.

My specs are:

Taichi x570, 16gb gskill 3600c16 b +die, 3700x, Saphire Pulse 5700xt, some nvme drive.

It would be really interesting to see if this is something in Ryzen Master causing this or my setup.

Would love to here from anyone else if they see simialar results turning off the hystogram.

Matt

What voltages are present when it does this? Just asking as I was playing about with ram timings and left stuff monitoring and noticed my idle voltage wouldn't drop back down to its usual 0.2v.

Associate
I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. Could a bad cpu prevent just drivers (programs seem to install without issue) from installing. I have a new build that freezes and then reboots anytime I try to install a driver such as chipset, lan, gpu, etc. I have tried all I can think of and feel it is likely a defective motherboard, but want to ensure it couldn't be the cpu.

It is a Ryzen 3700x, Gigabyte x570 Master, Sapphire Nitro 5700 xt.

I posted more info in a question in General Hardware, but really want to know if it could be a cpu issue.

Soldato
I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. Could a bad cpu prevent just drivers (programs seem to install without issue) from installing. I have a new build that freezes and then reboots anytime I try to install a driver such as chipset, lan, gpu, etc. I have tried all I can think of and feel it is likely a defective motherboard, but want to ensure it couldn't be the cpu.

It is a Ryzen 3700x, Gigabyte x570 Master, Sapphire Nitro 5700 xt.

I posted more info in a question in General Hardware, but really want to know if it could be a cpu issue.

Strange. I would say it's unlikely that the cpu is the cause if you can install other software.

Is it a new install? Flashed latest BIOS?

Revert the BIOS to defaults and remove ALL overclocks.

Clean install of windows.

What's the PSU?

Associate
Yes, it is a new install. I have done all I can think of/know to do (definitely not an expert). Nothing is overclocked. Tried with older bios as well as new ABBA. Power supply is an Evga G2 850w. Since I am able to run other programs fine it seems unlikely to me that it is the power supply, and most other parts I have tried switching out (ram, hd, gpu). I just want to be as sure as possible it's the motherboard before I tear it apart and go through the hassle of a rma....this is just such an odd issue that I didn't know could happen.

Thanks very much for your reply as I have truly run out of ideas.

Associate
Anyone know why I get this on new ryzen build when I try to turn off CSM in bios

IMG-20191022-160822.jpg

any idea's?

Caporegime
It occurs to me as I wait for B550 boards to come out, that by the time they do, Ryzen 4000 will be pretty close.

Why do I keep waiting for stuff :p Oh that's right. I don't even use my PC for anything other than posting crap here on GD these days ;)

This 2500k will live forever.

Back
Top Bottom