**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The key is in the driven wheels, as it's a FWD car, the front axle. Kind of 2 birds 1 stone either way. Front wheels for stopping performance and handling, plus it's FWD, so traction.

Soldato
Kinda what I was thinking but lot of people on that internet thing say rear axle :confused:

Basically need all 4 tyres replacing but it's for a lovable banger that may not even survive the MOT in March (or before that) so was just thinking of getting something semi decent for the front and cheapest ones for the back.

Right now it has 3 different brands to begin with, so will be an improvement either way.

Soldato
Wife's car had a tyre that kept going down, from 2.0 bar down to 1.4 bar within a relatively short space of time so obviously that was replaced. I was looking at picking up a spare wheel since the car (BMW X3, F25) doesn't have run flats - I'm sure it was meant to have them from new but it doesn't now and I'm not bothered about changing the tyres. Since she doesn't often go that far, the spare would live in the garage rather than being in the boot all the time unless I'm taking it on a long drive or it's going out of the country.

Rather conveniently, a mate has given me an identical wheel with a couple of minor scuffs on and a Pirelli tyre fitted with plenty of tread left, but it's a run flat. I'll probably never need to use the spare wheel but if I did, would it be an issue driving the car with 3 normal tyres and 1 run flat tyre for a short period of time? By that I mean just to be able to drive home or to a tyre place rather than to leave it on the car for a few weeks. I can't see it being a problem but just want to check to see if anyone knows any different.

Obviously the ideal would be to just get another alloy with a regular tyre on it but as this one has cost me nothing and will probably never end up being needed I'm not sure it's worth splashing out to change the tyre.

Anyone able to advise on this? TLDR, car has non runflat Pirellis all round but the spare wheel has a Pirelli runflat. Would it be an issue if the spare was used with the other wheels being non runflats? Bearing in mind it would be as a spare wheel so if it was ever used it'd be for a day or two at the most. I can't see a major problem for short-term use but just wondering if anyone knows better.

Man of Honour
Kinda what I was thinking but lot of people on that internet thing say rear axle :confused:

Basically need all 4 tyres replacing but it's for a lovable banger that may not even survive the MOT in March (or before that) so was just thinking of getting something semi decent for the front and cheapest ones for the back.

Right now it has 3 different brands to begin with, so will be an improvement either way.
The advice is generally to put the better tyres on the rear, since oversteer is harder to control than understeer.

Caporegime
Better is confusing. New tyres have more tread and so are better for resisting aqua planing

the rear tyres generally have less weight on so need more tread than the fronts to avoid aqua planing

Also I’m not sure what else is better about a new tyre other than more tread and therefore ability to shift more water. A worn tyre is arguably better on a dry road and more efficient due to less tread movement

Soldato
Hi all, needing some new tyres. Currently have eagle F1 all round but a nail in one front tyre and them nearing the end I may aswell change them.

I can get some Bridgestone Potenza for £156 fitted for 2. Are these ok tyres as a replacement?

Car is a Skoda Superb estate 225/40/18 unless people have any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Better is confusing. New tyres have more tread and so are better for resisting aqua planing

the rear tyres generally have less weight on so need more tread than the fronts to avoid aqua planing

Also I’m not sure what else is better about a new tyre other than more tread and therefore ability to shift more water. A worn tyre is arguably better on a dry road and more efficient due to less tread movement

Well we're talking about a Honda Jazz shopping cart here, can't say I've ever come across under or oversteer on that thing because it never goes fast enough for that :p

Cheapest branded tyres I can get locally seem to be BF Goodrich G Grips for just under £50 a corner at ATS Euromaster (7% cashback with Halifax too). They also do some unknown Hilo things for £32.50ish so wondering if it's worth spending a little extra.

Bear in mind this is a banger that can go at any time with MOT till March and currently 3 different no name brands on :D

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Hi all, needing some new tyres. Currently have eagle F1 all round but a nail in one front tyre and them nearing the end I may aswell change them.

I can get some Bridgestone Potenza for £156 fitted for 2. Are these ok tyres as a replacement?

Car is a Skoda Superb estate 225/40/18 unless people have any other suggestions?

Many thanks.
Michelin PS4. Last forever and are excellent tyres, unlike those Bridgestones.

Soldato

Many thanks.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's are £75 a corner from Camskill. So the extra cost will be delivery and fitting, but that shouldn't add too much to the price. They wear about the same as the PS4's in my experience (I have them on my Focus for the last 12k or so and still LOADS of life left). Maybe not quite as sharp on the cornering though if you are REALLY pushing it, which is unlikely in a Superb Estate.

Can't see them or the PS4's on the Costco website, but PS4's, in that size, are usually around the £90 mark fitted from them. Easily worth the extra £25 over the Bridgestones. Goodyears are usually £5-10 cheaper per corner. It might be worth calling your local store (if you have one local, and are a member).

I think he is saying the Bridgestones are a terrible tyre next to the PS4's, and are unlikely to last as long either.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The are around £200 plus fitting through aren't they? Will they last 25% more?

Are you saying the Bridgestone will just wear?
Got 34,000 miles out of the front set of Michelin PSS on my 2.0 TDI C6 A6. Rears had 5.6mm at the same time. Dunno how long the Bridgestone will last, but they're a worse tyre in any case.
If you don't really care about longevity, get F1 Assy 5s. But for the Superb, I'd highly recommend the Michelins, unless they're something like double the price.

Underboss
Got 34,000 miles out of the front set of Michelin PSS on my 2.0 TDI C6 A6. Rears had 5.6mm at the same time. Dunno how long the Bridgestone will last, but they're a worse tyre in any case.
If you don't really care about longevity, get F1 Assy 5s. But for the Superb, I'd highly recommend the Michelins, unless they're something like double the price.

did u mean PS 4 ?

Man of Honour
Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
PS4S is the successor to PSS, PS4 is the successor to the PS3.

I think I'm going to stick with PSS on my BMW when the time comes, I've had no issues with them at all and they haven't worn much at all. I can only get the PS4 in my size (18"), not PS4S.

Good video about it PSS vs PS4S here.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-VS-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport.htm
I think officially they are, but not quite the case in practice.
The PS3 were *****, and the PS4S is much more performance-focused than the PSS was.

-edit, haven't watch the vid :p

Soldato
That site is awesome; is he still on these forums?
TBH I have the Gen 1 Vectors which are even worse. I have ContiWinterContact TS850Ps on my Audi and they are brilliant (within reason) in all conditions. The Vectors are ***** in the dry, ***** in hot, ***** in the wet and distinctly average in snow.

I'm sure the Gen 2s are a big step up, and the Michelin Cross Climates are even better, but I still think they are a huge compromise in all aspects.

I can't justify throwing them away as the dealer put them on before I bought the car, so I do my best to wear them out as quickly as possible :D

I will be driving to Czech Republic over Christmas via France, Belgium, Netherlands & Germany. I have a set of 18" wheels for my 535d GT that I bought last year with winter tyres after trying it in the snow with summers on 20" the previous winter and getting stuck pulling away from a junction on a non-existent hill (luckily the car side stepped into a curb to give me enough traction to pull away). The winter tyres on the 18"s were a premium brand but I was surprised at how bad they were outside of the one day last year I drove and they were actually useful when it was -7c. They were quite old so binned them when the wheels came off the car.

I'd prefer not to go Winters as I'll be mainly driving on the motorway so All Season seems like the best bet and I understand that so long as an All-Season tyre has a Snow Flake symbol on it they are fine to drive in Germany. Is that correct?

My second challenge is tyre size. Despite most of the journey being on motorway, I will need to drive on potentially snowy roads in Czech once I am off the motorway in both city and a bit of countryside including so very steep hills! Standard on the 18" is 245/50 but that gives me very limited tyre options, as far as I can see for All Season only the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 which does have good dry and wet performance but poor Snow/ICE performance compared to a CrossClimate+ or Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2. Based on the review in the video the Goodyear seems like my best bet but closest size is 245/45.

What are thoughts on fitting 245/45 instead of 245/50, I understand it will make speedo over read by about 3% but otherwise can't really see any downsides?

Suggestions for other tyre options also appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the info so far.

May just stick with the Eagle F1's.

However what are peoples thoughts on uniroyal rainsports for a commute / family car?

Back
Top Bottom