**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Soldato
So I can confirm the obvious, the Pixel 4 battery could be an issue for many. I had a long day planned yesterday, work until 2pm then into town to meet with the family. Listening to music on the tube and taking lots of photos and videos (that are getting backed up as I go) meant it would be quite a stress on the battery compared to how I would normally use it, and sure enough, by 4pm I was down at 21% and needed to plug my battery in. (Came off charge at 7am)

I intentionally didn't charge at work to see how long it would last, but normally I can top up if I know I have a long day ahead. I also have various portable batteries, so I guess it's the decision of is it acceptable to be having to top up if I know I have a long day planned or that I need to take a battery with me on a day out. It is odd, as I've not been in this position for maybe 5 or 6 years with an Android, so it's certainly a shame to be back there again.

Having said that, having a charger unit with many cables in my office, people are often coming in to leave their phones on charge for a while at work... so am I just one of them now? Mind you, their phones are usually a few years old I think!

I guess it also could get better over the week as it optimises, but Accubattery is saying 14-15 hours mixed use at the moment, it's unlikely to change by more than a few hours. I am also still having much more screen on time than is normal (around 3hrs yesterday when I'm usually less than an hour)

With all this in mind, does anyone know of a small 5,000 'lipstick' style PD 18W charger? :) Can't see small ones on Amazon, just 10,000mAh+

**EDIT** I should perhaps add, battery anxiety aside, I'm loving the device! Hence why I'm thinking I just accept I need to top up in the afternoon perhaps.

Soldato
So I can confirm the obvious, the Pixel 4 battery could be an issue for many. I had a long day planned yesterday, work until 2pm then into town to meet with the family. Listening to music on the tube and taking lots of photos and videos (that are getting backed up as I go) meant it would be quite a stress on the battery compared to how I would normally use it, and sure enough, by 4pm I was down at 21% and needed to plug my battery in. (Came off charge at 7am)

I intentionally didn't charge at work to see how long it would last, but normally I can top up if I know I have a long day ahead. I also have various portable batteries, so I guess it's the decision of is it acceptable to be having to top up if I know I have a long day planned or that I need to take a battery with me on a day out. It is odd, as I've not been in this position for maybe 5 or 6 years with an Android, so it's certainly a shame to be back there again.

Having said that, having a charger unit with many cables in my office, people are often coming in to leave their phones on charge for a while at work... so am I just one of them now? Mind you, their phones are usually a few years old I think!

I guess it also could get better over the week as it optimises, but Accubattery is saying 14-15 hours mixed use at the moment, it's unlikely to change by more than a few hours. I am also still having much more screen on time than is normal (around 3hrs yesterday when I'm usually less than an hour)

With all this in mind, does anyone know of a small 5,000 'lipstick' style PD 18W charger? :) Can't see small ones on Amazon, just 10,000mAh+

**EDIT** I should perhaps add, battery anxiety aside, I'm loving the device! Hence why I'm thinking I just accept I need to top up in the afternoon perhaps.

Would you return and switch for a XL or you keen ok smaller form factor ?

My XL is coming today. I am in London and need to collect from my local Matalan when I get back.

Associate
I suppose you could just nab a few wireless chargers to leave in commonly visited places...

My reservation with it would be if I was caught away from the home/office and needed my phone and found it didn't have the stamina to get me through. Rare, but on those occasions it would be highly annoying.

Soldato
Would you return and switch for a XL or you keen ok smaller form factor ?

One thought was to return it, stay in my OP7P until a price drop and try the XL, but I'm really enjoying the form factor... so more likely to just keep topped up.

a lot of money to spend or have to wall/desk hug during the day due to the battery.

Not really, for me anyway (on both counts I guess). £15 isn't 'a lot' of money, it isn't even really need to spend any, I do have working battery chargers already. There's also almost no way I'm not at a desk or having lunch for 30 minutes on even the busiest of days.

It would only be necessary on a heavy day too (usually only a few times a year) I think, but we'll see about this as I go I guess.

Soldato
a lot of money to spend or have to wall/desk hug during the day due to the battery.

Google messed up with the battery sizes

Yeah it's a bit disappointing. I was down to 18% by 8pm though I used it a fair bit. Around 3hrs screen on time, 2.5 to 3hrs Spotify streaming and the usual WhatsApp, calls and emails.

Don't think I'd recommend it for someone who's on their feet all the time but for people that are sat in office most of the day it shouldn't be much of an issue to put it on charge for a bit

Associate

Very interesting to know, thanks. I've got my XL coming today shall report back too.

Soldato

what I ended up with my 2XL is having a dock at work..

dumped it on that every time I sat down and it charged up 15-20% and after work it would last me till end of day.

Associate
From various reports and reviews, the XL has good battery life. The complaints about it come from Pixel 4 users mostly.

Good to know thanks. I'm currently on the old original Pixel XL and it's only very recently starting to show signs of age to be honest. My main drawback on the 4XL will be the lack of fingerprint sign in and potentially eventually the lack of 5G.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I've been looking round for alternatives to the 4XL. OP7T/Pro etc.. But there just isn't a real replacement that interests me.

I'm hoping Black Friday makes the 4XL more of a respectable price.

Soldato
I've been looking round for alternatives to the 4XL. OP7T/Pro etc.. But there just isn't a real replacement that interests me.

What don't you like about the 7 Pro? Only minor negative is the camera. But dxomark Marks the op7 better than the Pixel 4 (if you trust their ratings)

Soldato

I'm in the same situation, but I can't see a big enough reduction coming. £929 for a 128GB XL is just nuts. I could compromise down to 64GB but not for £829. I think I would need £200 off during Black Friday sales for me to bite, but fear that might be too ambitious.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
What don't you like about the 7 Pro? Only minor negative is the camera. But dxomark Marks the op7 better than the Pixel 4 (if you trust their ratings)

Camera. I also couldn't care less what DxOMark say. For a start they rated the Pixel 4 video (front and rear) ahead of the iPhone XS Max. I'm a Pixel fanboy, but that's ridiculous.

I'm in the same situation, but I can't see a big enough reduction coming. £929 for a 128GB XL is just nuts. I could compromise down to 64GB but not for £829. I think I would need £200 off during Black Friday sales for me to bite, but fear that might be too ambitious.
Pretty much my thinking too. But I'd be happy with the 64GB. I use Spotify 100% of the time, just a shame they've taken away the unlimited original quality uploads.

Associate

Yeah I also can't see any discount being that large. Best you might get is a decent contract - circa £35-£40/month with a decent data package and an upfront cost.

I've decided just to send my 2XL back to Google for replacement (anyone following my posts on here will acknowledge that I have had lots of issues/is a moaner) and if the replacement is good I'm just going to keep it for now. These new handsets are not all that tempting. I'd be interested to see if there's a 4A model sometime next year.

Associate
My XL should be here by 4, I don't have to many reservations in regards to the battery. A wireless charger at work and at home will easily see me through.

On an odd day when I will use my phone heavily (airport/plane/traveling) I always have a battery pack and have always used it regardless of phone/charge percentage.

It will be a change to charge little and often as opposed my current dash charge - a very quick charge.

Soldato
I was going back and forth on this one to replace my S10+, since I'm off on honeymoon shortly and want to take better pics than the S10+ can manage. However, the negatives just seem to keep piling up.
  • Can't use the new assistant if I use my GSuite account on the phone - jeez, thanks for that Google, it's my main email address
  • Can't use the new assistant if I want to use Back/Home/Recents navigation - fab, another great move
  • Can't use Soli anywhere it hasn't been approved globally. I understand the regulatory reasons for this but still...
  • Only 64GB storage - on their top end phone, really? My sister's £315 Pixel 3a has the same amount!
  • Face Unlock won't work with a lot of apps until they're updated, and this is Android, so it'll be months before that happens
  • Refresh rate limited to 60hz at most brightness levels :rolleyes:
  • No more unlimited original quality storage
  • No dual sim
  • No ultrawide - silly decision
  • Battery on the small side - again, silly
  • Price is too high - but it'll be price cut in a month or three. Why Google, WHY?? Why not launch the phone at a cheaper price in the first place?
I don't want to hate on the phone because I'm a total Android fanboy. But seeing this go up against what Google seems to want to compete with - the latest iPhones - is like watching your team get pounded in the local derby. It's just plain frustrating that they haven't done a better job.

Anyway, hope anyone who is getting one enjoys it. I guess I'm just feeling particularly salty today.

Back
Top Bottom