Feel anxious about learning to drive.

Man of Honour
Yea sometimes people suck at driving, but it's their mistake.

Sometimes - in this case I don't think they gave a ****. I wanted to get over as well because there was a blood bike coming up behind me though not using lights but from the manner of their driving was probably on the job (and on the regular route between nearby hospitals).

Associate
I was 32 when I passed my driving test. I was so nervous thinking I couldn’t do it, didn’t think I was ready for the extra responsibility/rules to follow. But once you have done it, it all becomes second nature.

Associate
What a lovely thought, signing up just to help out with insurance :D

OP, did you ever learn to drive? You were definitely overthinking it. Lots and lots of people learn to drive (admittedly a lot of them suck at it, but most manage to drive throughout their lives without killing or maiming anyone), so there's no reason that you can't also.

Soldato
I'd hate to end up being a crap driver

Why? You'll fit right in with the rest of us. And one thing about Media City, you're straight on the M602 and from there the M62 and the world is your Oyster. Leeds! Bradford! Hull! Preston! Liverpool!

Actually, having thought about it, I can see why you're not bothering.... :)

Just Do It. Today.

Soldato
OP
The GF dad is in Boro and my parents are in Selby, so M602 / M60 / M62 / A19 for both places, very convenient place to jump on a motorway here indeed. I still haven't brought myself to do it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
After no time at all you'll give no more thought to driving than you do to walking, there is absolutely nothing to it bar practicing for a short time until you are used to it. You sit in a car and it drives on autopilot, for all of the thought that driving requires once you have done it for a while.

Soldato
OP
I guess so, the woman where I work who is like 18 was telling me how she was doing 90 on the motorway and for a split second she felt like she lost control of her car, it was a very wet day, she aquaplaned. I guess if she can drive I can.

Soldato
I learnt to drive when I was about 8/9 in a Range Rover of all things. After that I cut my teeth on diggers/tractors and other farm/plant equipment. Handy when you’ve got land.

I passed my test at 17 with no minors and thought I was awesome. A couple of years later I drove through London and omg, that was a crazy experience - Id never seen so much traffic. A few years after that I drove through Houston in Texas, 6 lanes of traffic in both directions and all on the wrong side of the road! Talk about white knuckles.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there will always be situations you are unfamiliar with, you are always learning. Driving is but one of these things, your journey won’t stop there, so to speak. Just embrace new opportunities.

Soldato
Riding motorcycles since 18, pass my car test first time, aquaplaned in my test like a boss.

Broke the lap record on the Stowe circuit in a formula ford (on the day) but by nearly 2 seconds. And even then I thought those cars are slow.

I turn traction control off on everything, always.

I think the OP should stick to the buss and doing sit down wee's.

Soldato
OP
Riding motorcycles since 18, pass my car test first time, aquaplaned in my test like a boss.

Broke the lap record on the Stowe circuit in a formula ford (on the day) but by nearly 2 seconds. And even then I thought those cars are slow.

I turn traction control off on everything, always.

I think the OP should stick to the buss and doing sit down wee's.

Not sure your post is serious.

And I don't use the bus I cycle.

Soldato
It would be good if I could learn to drive a car on a race track, then learn how to use roads once I've mastered the art of driving a car. However I don't feel I'm terrible at using roads I'm certainly as proficient as most drivers I feel in terms of using roads following rules etc...
Definitely overthinking it!

As others have said, sign up for a few lessons, where the instructor will tackle all od your concerns - that are completely typical learner concerns.

They'll know quiet roads where you can learn the basics that you're worried about. Most of them will be addressed in the first couple of lessons after which you won't even think about them.

Associate
I guess so, the woman where I work who is like 18 was telling me how she was doing 90 on the motorway and for a split second she felt like she lost control of her car, it was a very wet day, she aquaplaned. I guess if she can drive I can.

Being a **** driver is easy - almost anyone can do it. Nothing wrong with aiming to be better than the average driver though. As per the example in your post, if you're driving on a very wet day then always be on the lookout for standing water. A lot of drivers probably don't even know what aquaplaning is, let alone how to avoid / mitigate it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Anyone can drive, it is very basic and honestly stop even thinking it over. It is just like learning to ride a bike, before you can do it, you cant do it, as soon as you have learnt how to do it, you dont suddenly worry every time that the bike will topple over.
To take it to the extreme example, how much thought do you give to how not to fall over when you plan to stand up and walk across the room? That's how much thought you end up giving to driving a normal car.

Man of Honour
Being a **** driver is easy - almost anyone can do it. Nothing wrong with aiming to be better than the average driver though. As per the example in your post, if you're driving on a very wet day then always be on the lookout for standing water. A lot of drivers probably don't even know what aquaplaning is, let alone how to avoid / mitigate it.

Not just driving standards - seen so many incidents in the wet where people either have an upset or cause an accident where they have naff all tread on their tyres.

Anyone can drive, it is very basic and honestly stop even thinking it over.

Anyone can drive, driving well is another matter - observation skills, making good decisions and applying your knowledge of the highway code, etc. in actual driving situations comes to some people far easier than others.

My dad for instance pretty much just got behind the wheel and it largely comes to him naturally - for me it was a significant effort.

Soldato
Hey OP

It sounds like some of your fear comes from controlling the vehicle itself, not necessarily driving around others.

Hence, I’d highly recommend some go karting experience and then after a bit of practice, some experience in a car on a track. Get used to the feeling of grip etc so you can recognise when you’re losing control.

It may really help your confidence in a car on the road :)

Soldato
Weirdly I found clutch control by far the most difficult thing to master. I honestly can't work out why as you tend not to even think about it at all once you're used to it.

I took my manual test in 1999 but honestly, now in 2021 I wouldn't bother with a manual licence unless you have a specific desire to drive a manual for some reason.

Man of Honour
Weirdly I found clutch control by far the most difficult thing to master. I honestly can't work out why as you tend not to even think about it at all once you're used to it.

I took my manual test in 1999 but honestly, now in 2021 I wouldn't bother with a manual licence unless you have a specific desire to drive a manual for some reason.

I had to move one of works vans the other day - old manual with 200K miles on the clock - last 10 years or so I've been driving automatics mostly - stalled it on the first attempt. In my defence though first gear on it has seen better days and apparently the regular drivers of that van just stick in 2nd to pull away.

I'm glad I have a manual license TBH but I wouldn't choose to drive a manual on the roads these days - especially commuting a decent size engine + automatic makes it so effortless. (I don't miss the days of working the gears in a small engine hatchback).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
While i have absolutely no desire to ever drive a manual vehicle, nor would ever buy one, i do have to disagree with this.

Think of cheap van rentals, rentals from spanish airports, etc. For the short time that it takes to learn how to use a manual clutch and shifter, i really dont think it worth the hassle of forever avoiding manuals? I guess this will of course change in a few decades as manuals disappear entirely.

Back
Top Bottom