The Tesla Thread

Associate
Having watched a couple of the dyno vids on YT it was fairly obvious how they use software to shape the power delivery to help differentiate the models. SR+ low end was looking fairly flat compared to the other example too so maybe there's a bit more peak power/torque available in the smaller motor low down that they could play with.

Yea, power unlock is obviously just safety and marketing limits as long as the battery pack can deliver the needed current. I'm just as interested in the effeciency gains really as I'm almost always in chill mode anyway. Regen down to 0 mph sounds like it's coming with maybe a bit of break for the very last mph

Dan

Soldato
Well this isnt good publicity.

https://news.sky.com/story/tesla-mo...rned-to-death-inside-lawsuit-alleges-11843996
A doctor in Florida burned to death because the battery in his Tesla burst into flames and the car's futuristic door handles wouldn't allow a police officer to rescue him, according to a legal complaint.

Dr Omar Awan died in February after his Tesla hit a palm tree.

The complaint alleged the car's battery caught fire after the smash and began to fill the vehicle with smoke and then flames.

Although a police officer was nearby and tried to help, part of the design of the Tesla Model S is to retract the door handles into the car and they then "auto-present" and pop out when the car's key fob is detected nearby.

Better way of course is to make the fail safe the default position, but that wont look as good.
Ie the default position is they are exposed. When running the car would pull them in, but break that connection and the handles would naturally move back out (spring or equivalent)

Of course its not unique to tesla, nor is it unknown for ICE cars to have people stuck inside in an accident killed by fire.

Personally it seems wierd that we dont have legislation that requires any devices that locks the car to be either manually over rideable or automatically undeployed in the event of a complete power failure.

Soldato
A few modern cars have questionable electronic devices. E.g. If you sit in a modern Audi and manage to set the alarm off, you cant open the doors from the inside lol.

Soldato
The iPace has very similar handles to the Model S, as have a few others.

I suppose the software could be modified to open the handles if the airbags go off or it detects a crash. Many cars unlock in this circumstance but many don’t. Particularly if they are older or have manual locks.

I wonder what stopped them breaking the window and opening it from the inside like you would have to do in any car if it didn’t unlock or the door was deformed. I do completely get it’s very easy for me to keyboard warrior the accident from afar and being there would be very different.

Soldato
If there's a way to make them pop out in an emergency then even better. I could easily imagine people getting confused bout the Model 3 handles especially in an emergency situation.

In slightly better news from the recent quarter results I'm actually more excited about the upcoming scheduler updates with departure time and auto pre-heat. That's single biggest thing i miss from my previous i3.

Associate
Just ordered a Tesla Model 3.

I find it very strange how they wouldn't let me buy a wall charger before car being delivered, they told me that I need a VIN number before I can buy a wall charger. Which means Ill have the car but no charge point to charge.

Associate

I find it very strange how they wouldn't let me buy a wall charger before car being delivered, they told me that I need a VIN number before I can buy a wall charger. Which means Ill have the car but no charge point to charge.

You'll get the vin before the delivery.

Soldato

any reason for the Tesla charger? Doesn't qualify for OLEV grant, you could arrange any other charger before the VIN etc.

Which model did you order?

Permabanned
https://www.tesla.com/energy

Tesla-Energy-Car-Charging.png

Soldato
I stopped by the West Drayton branch this morning to show my partner the interior of the Model 3

Managed to get a test drive of an SR+ because someone hadn't arrived in time. The first time I pushed it from 30-50MPH I had to back off because it caught me off guard. I realised halfway through the test drive that I was in comfort mode which made it even more impressive. If that's the "slow" version then I'm scared for the Performance model.

The 0-60 is impressive but if you've driven 300'ish BHP hot hatches and premium compact cars then it doesn't feel *that* different. Getting off the line is the impressive part because there's no delay at all. The bit that impressed me the most is the rolling acceleration ie. 20-40 or 30-60. It's remarkable how quickly it happens.

The Model 3 is definitely quieter on the motorway than my B9 Audi A4. The damping is something else though. I have adaptive dampers on my car and the Model 3 definitely rides better, but that could be the difference between 18" and 19" wheels. The sound system in the SR+ is okay, but doesn't satisfy my needs. The SR+ can be a bit playful around roundabouts which I thought was a nice touch :)

Regenerative braking takes some getting used to. It's difficult to understand what "one pedal driving" really means until you experience it.

Autopilot is good but I have adaptive cruise with lane assist in my car so it didn't feel like anything new. I probably need to use it a bit more to see if it reacts quicker or results in a smoother ride than mine.

Despite being the same length as my A4, it feels like a more compact car which I really like.

I'm going back on Monday for another test drive and hopefully I'll get access to a Performance model.

Feels a bit pointless to go test drive an ICE car now...

nam

nam

Soldato
Very similar experience to me, try the Performance if you can.

Hi All,
For those like me who had a P- on order and now switched to the P+ and maybe doubted the 20" wheels , then don't worry

I had an extensive test drive through speed humps and rough roads around Canary wharf and the P+ performance and ride was no different than my previous 2018 B9 Audi S4. There was no harsh jarring or uncomfortable roar from the tires. In fact the only slight noise was the aircon and the dual motors when I smashed the pedal. It has been great experience especially the speed of deceleration and not using the break pedal at all. if you are in any doubt drive a p+ and you will be very pleasantly surprised :)

I am very happy to have done it and now waiting patiently for the P+ to arrive , unfortunately i have been told by OctopusEV expect late Sept or October my order ends is 3850

I stopped by the West Drayton branch this morning to show my partner the interior of the Model 3

Managed to get a test drive of an SR+ because someone hadn't arrived in time. The first time I pushed it from 30-50MPH I had to back off because it caught me off guard. I realised halfway through the test drive that I was in comfort mode which made it even more impressive. If that's the "slow" version then I'm scared for the Performance model.

The 0-60 is impressive but if you've driven 300'ish BHP hot hatches and premium compact cars then it doesn't feel *that* different. Getting off the line is the impressive part because there's no delay at all. The bit that impressed me the most is the rolling acceleration ie. 20-40 or 30-60. It's remarkable how quickly it happens.

The Model 3 is definitely quieter on the motorway than my B9 Audi A4. The damping is something else though. I have adaptive dampers on my car and the Model 3 definitely rides better, but that could be the difference between 18" and 19" wheels. The sound system in the SR+ is okay, but doesn't satisfy my needs. The SR+ can be a bit playful around roundabouts which I thought was a nice touch :)

Regenerative braking takes some getting used to. It's difficult to understand what "one pedal driving" really means until you experience it.

Autopilot is good but I have adaptive cruise with lane assist in my car so it didn't feel like anything new. I probably need to use it a bit more to see if it reacts quicker or results in a smoother ride than mine.

Despite being the same length as my A4, it feels like a more compact car which I really like.

I'm going back on Monday for another test drive and hopefully I'll get access to a Performance model.

Feels a bit pointless to go test drive an ICE car now...

Soldato
Very similar experience to me, try the Performance if you can.

Awesome! A former work colleague of mine works at the West Drayton branch so he said he's going to try to organise a Performance model for my test drive tomorrow but the system allocates the cars so it's difficult for them to change it.

Genuinely excited for my second test drive.

Back
Top Bottom