Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I have an Oculus Quest! :) Tracking is excellent. Wish more of my Rift purchases were cross buy but hey ho

Enjoy! It's an epic headset that's only going to improve over the coming weeks as Oculus adds PC streaming. Had mine since launch and I'm still loving it :cool:

Soldato
10% ebay code finished at midnight.

doh

Pistol whipped is very good - been enjoying it today... content is perhaps slightly lacking given the price, but it's still a lot of fun imo. Only problem is I was just playing Onward afterwards and tried to point my pistol down to reload lol.

Soldato
Well I finally got a quest today...

I'm surprised that while it does look a little better, the resolution doesn't seem like a huge jump over the original rift... I think I was expecting a little more from the specs. I definitely get the discomfort point too, it's fine for a short time but with longer play periods it definitely ain't nice to wear for me... Have ordered a AMVR facial interface which should get here tomorrow, will see if that improves things.

I was pleasantly surprised by the audio, although it clearly lacks bass it is much better than expected. I will still probably look into doing the DAS mod for comfort and better audio though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I finally got a quest today...

I'm surprised that while it does look a little better, the resolution doesn't seem like a huge jump over the original rift... I think I was expecting a little more from the specs. I definitely get the discomfort point too, it's fine for a short time but with longer play periods it definitely ain't nice to wear for me... Have ordered a AMVR facial interface which should get here tomorrow, will see if that improves things.

I was pleasantly surprised by the audio, although it clearly lacks bass it is much better than expected. I will still probably look into doing the DAS mod for comfort and better audio though.

it’s resolution is much better but the gpu power can’t show it off.

there is some hack to enable it but it drains battery quicker and makes it lag on games.

I still feel it looked much better than my cv1 though.. just the graphical fidelity is obviously lacking

Soldato
I just bought virtual desktop (sideloaded to allow vr streaming) and you are right... it is a noticeable improvement over CV1. Virtual desktop itself is considerably more usable, and streaming some PCVR games even over wifi the extra resolution is more apparent.

Looking forward to trying oculus link out!

only downside is that after going back and forth between Pistol Whip on CV1 and Quest it really demonstrated the lack of punch in the audio department. DAS mod seems likely in my future!

Soldato
Likewise I'm also excited to try out the Oculus link when it's available. I never got either to trying out any of the wireless PC streaming apps so I'll probably just wait for the official setup and give some of the cross buy titles like Robo Recall a try.

If it works well I'll probably get a couple of PC titles like Stormland and Asgard's wrath.

Soldato
Looking forward to trying Oculus Link for sims such as PCars2, Elite and Il2. finding the blurriness of the CV1 for these is getting annoying.

Soldato
Yeah just got stormland and I’m now finding the CV1 screen a little lacking! I’ve ordered a 2m USB3.1 cable so I can get cracking the moment they release the beta...

will probably end up getting the 5m proper cable if the experience works well.

Soldato
Sounds like they’ll be expanding the supported cards as they go along the beta process.

Also they don’t say it won’t work, just “can’t guarantee comparability” so I imagine it’ll just be a bit hit or miss whether a particular card will work well.

my USB 3.1 cable should be arriving tomorrow and I’ll be seeing if it works on my 980Ti

if you have a 3.0 or better cable hanging around just give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom