4x8GB on X370-F & 2700x

Associate
Evening Gents,

Today i saw an OCUK ad for the following memory which I got in my Ryzen bundle and went ahead as I presumed 32GB has got to be better than 16GB:-
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

I should've done some research before pulling the trigger as now I am worried that I may have issues running 4x8GB sticks on my setup and achieving anything close to the 3200mhz speed the RAM is rated to. Now tbh I am not a very advanced user so all the talk of tightening timings etc goes slightly over my head so was just wondering what some of you more experienced users might make of this choice? (Any decent guides that can be easily understood would also be appreciated!)

I have read that 2x16GB sticks is a better option but this would be out of my budget currently, whilst I might be not be able to reach the full 3200mhz on all 4 sticks I don't think 2933mhz would be all to terrible? Also have kept my BIOS as up to date as possible for the X370-F but unsure if this older chipset is going to be a major factor in stability with 4x8GB sticks and trying to go for a reasonable clock.

I use my rig predominantly for gaming including VR so am now wondering if 16GB at 3200mhz might be better than 32GB at 2933mhz.

Thoughts or any advice before I unpack the RAM when it arrives tomorrow would be much appreciated.

Associate
OP
After doing a bit more reading it seems my fears were correct and 32gb is just overkill for gaming and not required.

Therefore when the RAM arrives Monday I think I will send it back and instead spend the money on upgrading to a 2tb ssd.

Chime in if you think I've missed something, cheers.

Soldato
My 1700 runs 32GB of the ram you mention at 3200c14. I just had to up the CPU voltage to 1.26v to be stable. It could likely go lower but didn’t spend any time testing. A 2700x in theory has a better IMC.

Associate
OP
My 1700 runs 32GB of the ram you mention at 3200c14. I just had to up the CPU voltage to 1.26v to be stable. It could likely go lower but didn’t spend any time testing. A 2700x in theory has a better IMC.
I saw a reddit thread saying a guy had 32gb running stable on hiss 1700 but struggled on the 2700x to get over 2933.

Either way the general opinion seems to be 32gb is simply overkill for gaming?

I will recheck my bios settings later for how I overclocked the RAM speed as I messed around slot trying to locate a problem (Not RAM related) when I put the build together but I believe I have turned off precision overdrive to reduce cpu volts as had the odd moment of 1.5+ and rather than use the xml profile left it at default and set ram target speed to 3200mhz (it's currently one step down from this if memory serves but didn't fix the other issue I was having so should be able to safely put it back to 3200mhz)

Back
Top Bottom