PS4 pro buzzing near power supply

Soldato
Hello all

Just over a year old PS4 pro has started buzzing loudly under load from the rear near where the power lead plugs in. I have tried a different kettle lead with no change...

It’s not coil whine as that is a different noise from a different area that I am used to.

Has anyone else experienced this? Tempted to order another power supply but it’s 80 quid and I am not certain it’s the cause?

Cheers

Associate
Hello all

Just over a year old PS4 pro has started buzzing loudly under load from the rear near where the power lead plugs in. I have tried a different kettle lead with no change...

It’s not coil whine as that is a different noise from a different area that I am used to.

Has anyone else experienced this? Tempted to order another power supply but it’s 80 quid and I am not certain it’s the cause?

Cheers

Is it not under warranty?

Open the console up and have a look.
It sounds to me like there is a loose connection or a failed solder joint....which if I am right will be very obvious as there will be black/brown marks where the electricity has been arcing.

I may be totally wrong about the cause, but provided you are lacking any man skills (a member since 2004 with nearly 6000 posts suggests not) then you should be OK having a look yourself :). Definitely follow some YouTube videos are these days consoles are full of clips and snap joints rather than the old way of just screws.

Soldato
OP
Open the console up and have a look.
It sounds to me like there is a loose connection or a failed solder joint....which if I am right will be very obvious as there will be black/brown marks where the electricity has been arcing.

I may be totally wrong about the cause, but provided you are lacking any man skills (a member since 2004 with nearly 6000 posts suggests not) then you should be OK having a look yourself :). Definitely follow some YouTube videos are these days consoles are full of clips and snap joints rather than the old way of just screws.

Evening, i took a look and disassembled the PSU, but no obvious issues..... I ordered a new PSU so will see how that goes.... These don't look like high quality components in general though.. Seems like these consoles are more consumables...

Soldato
I experienced something similar, sounded like it was from the PSU or the HDD but was actually the cpu fan failing.

Watched a tear down video, dismantled the Pro and then put back together leaving the top off. Powered it up and the isolated the noise to the fan simply by pushing down on the fan with my finger.

Replaced the fan via eBay ( £11 used ) and all was good.

Back
Top Bottom