Possible speed ticket?

Associate
Hi guys,been driving back from Nottingham yesterday on the motorway and at some point there was a sign that brought the speed limit from 70 down to 50.
Now,I was switching lane when I saw the sign and immediately started to slow down in fact I drove past the sign at 64 mph,on the left hand side though there was a fixed camera and I think I saw it flashing, I'm not 100% sure though,it could have been the sun flashing in the mirror too.
Do you think I got a speed ticket even though I was slowing down and I got up to 50 mph just about 10 sec after,of course I couldn't just brake suddenly to get to 50mph especially with a van that is more heavy compare to a car.
Are we allowed sometime to slowdown as that signed I passed with the camera on was the first sign?or if it's 50 mph you must be at 50 at the sign?
So if I got a ticket do you think I could appeal against it saying that I was switching lane and that sign it was the first bringing the speed limit down from 7mph?
Thanks in advance

Soldato
If you see a sign you should pass past it at the posted speed not start to slow down as you pass.

If you see a 50 sign start slowing down straight away not at the last minute.

Soldato
Pretty certain you aren't expected to slow down to the stated speed until the next set of cameras. Or at least that's what I've always followed and I've never had a ticket. I have also seen a flash from a similar situation as you, and nothing came of it. I think you'll be fine.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys,guess I'll wait and see then.
Is it 14 days to get a notification of speed ticket isn't it?if yes do they count Saturdays and Sundays too or only working days?
Thanks

Soldato
Pretty certain you aren't expected to slow down to the stated speed until the next set of cameras. Or at least that's what I've always followed and I've never had a ticket. I have also seen a flash from a similar situation as you, and nothing came of it. I think you'll be fine.

No, when you see a speed limit you slow down before the sign. On motorways there is a grace period when the signage is changed though.

These cameras seem to flash periodically and nobody recieves a ticket though, so you may be lucky.

Soldato

The sign means the speed limit at that point is whatever is on the sign, not a random distance down the road. What if that's the last camera for a mile?

Soldato
If you weren't speeding, you won't get a ticket. If you need to create a thread on an internet forum to ask if you'll get a ticket, then you were probably speeding.

Soldato
The sign means the speed limit at that point is whatever is on the sign, not a random distance down the road. What if that's the last camera for a mile?

Oh pedantry, of course it is, but in my experience there is some leniency granted to avoid ticketing people who don't slam anchor and create dangerous situations. You should slow to meet the speed on the sign before you pass it, but only if it's safe to do so given the speed delta, the distance you have available, and the traffic around you.

Soldato
Oh pedantry, of course it is, but in my experience there is some leniency granted to avoid ticketing people who don't slam anchor and create dangerous situations. You should slow to meet the speed on the sign before you pass it, but only if it's safe to do so given the speed delta, the distance you have available, and the traffic around you.
Not really. You should pass the sign doing the posted speed. I literally can't think of a single time a speed sign has snuck up on me meaning I had to slam on.

Soldato

If you can’t see the signs at sufficient distance to allow yourself to slow down safely before you pass the sign then you shouldn’t be driving.

Man of Honour
If the sign changed just as you passed under it then there is a grace period. If the sign was static on your approach then there's no reason you shouldn't of been able to slow down in time.

Soldato
If you can’t see the signs at sufficient distance to allow yourself to slow down safely before you pass the sign then you shouldn’t be driving.

Agreed, but I still see it happen on a regular basis. The signs on my stretch of the M1 usually turn on around the time I'm passing through them, and everyone panics. Instead of slamming on to hit 60, I'll coast down to it at the next set of signs.

Soldato
Agreed, but I still see it happen on a regular basis. The signs on my stretch of the M1 usually turn on around the time I'm passing through them, and everyone panics. Instead of slamming on to hit 60, I'll coast down to it at the next set of signs.

True, as mentioned above in that scenario there is a grace period if the sign has just changed.

Back
Top Bottom