Burrito Wraps...

Soldato
Is there really much difference to flour wraps? I can understand freshly made corn tortillas but flour ones are probably all much of a muchness no?

Associate
Aldi sell multiple brands, multiple sizes and multiple types and thats before its a 'mexican/spanish' week and they get even more.
I use these all the time for making different stuff and they are fine. The only time the thin ones dont work is if you try to fill them too much or dont heat them up correctly first.
I make enchillads all the time from the corn wraps and burritos from random wraps.
I am going to try both the sealing advice and the foil as well as they can be messy.

Soldato
How do places like Mission manage to pack so much stuff in and fold/wrap it without it spilling out or ending up all untidy?
Are there any videos on how to properly pack a burrito?

Soldato
@ttaskmaster its easy.

Put all the filling in the centre of the wrap in a fat sausage shape.
Fold the middle sides of the wrap over on to the filling.
Fold the bottom of the wrap up over the filling and over the folds made previously. (The top of the bottom fold will not meet the top of the wrap (intended))
Now roll the wrap upwards.
Bake for a few minutes to crisp (optional) :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I watched that. He actually ends up with corners sticking out at 1:33 and that's where mine always leak.

Which is why I ask too, he says that your normal tortilla wraps are too thick (the supermarket ones), so they break, and they need to be bigger than you are expecting....

CostCo don't have any options, maybe other wholesalers do?

Looked at the link above, but seems a lot for a wrap when factor in postage

Soldato
My local Tesco briefly sold corn tortilla wraps and they were great, Tesco own brand if I remember, but after what seemed like only a month or so they stopped doing them again....

Nothing really wrong with flour ones IMO, but the corn ones are better.

Soldato
i think the mission wraps he is talking about are the small ones like you get with the kits
mission do a larger wrap which is fine ive found
even the tesco ones are pretty large.

Soldato
I also find the Lidl ones to be quite good and better than the mission ones which I find crack and rip too easily. No doubt a consequence of making something with such a long self life. I used to work in a Mexican restaurant with wraps being the main focus. Ours were bought in but fresh on a daily basis and they were substantially better, also they were larger than the Lidl or Mission ones which I assume are 10" and even though only 1" or 2" additional on diameter made wrapping a decent sized burrito so much easier. I quite like the parcel method or the open one end, foil helps keep the parcel that but is a faff for home and egg wash sealing also works if you get the frying pan out. I do mean to make my own at some point, it is disappointing how hard it is to get lime slaked corn though in the UK no major supermarkets stock it as far as I'm aware.

Back
Top Bottom