Gin recommendations?

Soldato
Opened my Harris gin, lovely. I had it with a wedge of red grapefruit in a G&T, they seem to recommend a wedge of grapefruit in this gin but I found that it was too overpowering, found it much nicer with a slice of lime.

Soldato
Sainsburys Taste-the-difference Orange & Blossom Gin.. smells like Cointreau, tastes like Cointreau.. Cointreau £15.. T-T-D Orange Gin £16. Cointreau 40%, Gin 37%. Served with Fever Tree Clementine or water it's a bitter orange taste.

Commissario
OP
I had a good week away on holiday.

It started on Guernsey with this.

23WKtqO.jpeg

Then we moved over to Herm. Most of my gin was drunk in the Mermaid Tavern
gfsnyAf.jpeg

It made sense that I'd have some Mermaid gin
i2ccRiy.jpeg

A couple of weeks before I was there, they had a beer and gin festival and every beer and gin was from Scotland. I managed to get through quite a few of them.

HGp67My.jpeg
4fyRmEG.jpeg

kSWovfa.jpeg
fTDsRWJ.png

bmLF27T.jpeg
SMMRRuh.jpeg

SGYoSX5.jpeg
uFdu1Wv.jpeg

29YIhYz.jpeg
NjC4hCJ.jpeg

8WfSL1J.jpeg
rXM77hN.jpeg

K0YgMN3.jpeg
1mo7vg4.jpeg

KoqXLZS.jpeg
YBBQcgI.jpeg

K1o6DgZ.jpeg
CKqZ901.jpeg

It wasn't all about gin in the pub though. I made sure I took a decent supply with me for the cabin :)
fcN2LmB.jpeg
eAqksBi.jpeg

All the gins I tried were utterly excellent. One stood out, it was dry but with a fruity finish and not overly sweet. I'm a big fan of real ginny gins but this one really took my fancy. I've posted a picture above, it's Pilgrims gin. It was so good that I asked Tom (the landlord) if he could sell me a bottle. Luck would have it that he bought two bottles of each gin for the festival and this was one of the few he had a spare of.

G32H8ay.jpeg

Soldato
@Feek, nice of the bar's to give you the bottle:D

I have a bottle of the Mermaid, it's ok but wouldn't buy it again. I have cooled on buying gin until next year. I tend to drink more whisky in the colder months.

Soldato
Mrs gave me a “Do your gin” kit for my birthday and four large “wine” (read gin) glasses.

Using some polish vodka which tastes decent by itself - pure grain. Then add dried juniper berries for 24h, then whatever dried bits for 24h. Filter and then leave for a further 24h and you’re ready. It’s not distilled but infused but it certainly smells of gin :) I’ve gone for juniper, orange peel, Laurel, cardamon, a small hint of herbiscous and lavender (not enough to be noticeable but add a tint of additional colour).

Edit: impressed (with the new glasses too). Big orange hit (the idea was to get citrus!), smooth and then Jupiter end notes.

Edit: after 48h the citrus has dropped off (I did top up with the vodka so it may explain it) where it sits in the background with hints of cardamon. I suggest making the infusion far more intense, rather like hopping when making beer.

Last edited:
Soldato
My favourite gins at the moment are:

Jawbox. A lovely pepper taste to this one, goes very well with normal Fever Tree tonic and a slice of lemon.

Musgrave. Flavours of cardamon and subtle black pepper. Goes very well with a slice of lime. The pink variant is extremely good too.

Soldato
A new bottle for my collection:
4C32Dn8.jpg

They distil their own spirit before flavouring, all made from local ingredients - apparently there's only a handful of other gins made this way in Scotland.

Soldato

Really need to find out what sort of gin the person likes. I'd accept that with a smile but it'd sit in my collection for a long time before being opened.

Pffft who cares, done, thank you for the suggestion!

Caporegime
thomas dakin - red label on a squareish shaped bottle

i'm a member of a craft gin club if anyone wants £20 off their first box (box is £40) so half price then send me a trust message.

the bottles in the box are usually £40+ to buy on their own but they come with exotic expensive tonics, mixers, syrups and dressings, etc. so it's really good value for money. in december i got 2 bottles of expensive gin, 6 tonics, 1 syrup, dressings and a snack as well as a magazine and a £5 off voucher for my next order all for £40.

I'm not a gin drinker myself but the wife partakes.

Back
Top Bottom