Network media player recommendations

Soldato
Can the Shield run Plex and just use my old NAS as file storage?

Might just wait and see what the new Shield is like before buying something TBH. It’s looking like it’s going to launch imminently.
28th October was the date in the Amazon leak. To answer your question about Plex, yes.

Soldato
Read through the reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/dj7kfz/new_nvidia_shield_tv_pro_up_for_preorder/
and, as commented, just a bit of additional cpu power and DV ... so if the old one became < £100 and the newone £160 which would you choose.

moreover watched the new 2019 roku ultra (not in the uk yet) compared against apple tv 4k ... both media players , not servers,
you can put a usb drive on the roku, but,
the apple has more cpu power and its video processing upscaling/processing probably better than the roku&shield (shield relies on s/w too), and with the
infuse player https://firecore.com/infuse this seems more versatile than plex with it's limited codec support, cutting out the need for transcoding.

Soldato
For me the DV is important. It means I can have an "all-in-one" box for watching Netflix, Amazon Prime Video (Need to confirm DA/DV with this one), Kodi for my local media and not have to switch to multiple different devices to do so. It also keeps it very wife friendly. The old Shield's Netflix doesn't do Atmos as far as I know? The new Shield being "Netflix Certified" with their button on the remote etc.

As for the Apple TV my understanding is that it decodes Atmos to PCM instead of bitstreaming which for my set-up, wouldn't work.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
OP
In stock elsewhere in the U.K. and I’m tempted to order one now.

It should play nicely with my old NAS, right?

Just wondering if it’d be overkill for what I need it for.

Man of Honour
In stock elsewhere in the U.K. and I’m tempted to order one now.

It should play nicely with my old NAS, right?

Just wondering if it’d be overkill for what I need it for.

If you are streaming full 4K UHD rips then it won't be overkill. Anything less would be ok with a Roku or Firestick.

Soldato
Can the Shield run Plex and just use my old NAS as file storage?

Might just wait and see what the new Shield is like before buying something TBH. It’s looking like it’s going to launch imminently.

The Shield can run its own Plex server very well - I have a 4TB drive attached to the Shield directly to host the media, but previously had a NAS host it over Ethernet, and had no issues whatsoever.

Personally, I have had zero issues with the Shield, it completely eliminated having to run PMS on a PC, and everything I have thrown at it worked perfectly.

Soldato
Got my new Shield Pro today and it's great. Speedy little thing, handled everything I've thrown at it so far from 4k HDR/DV Atmos remux streaming over WiFi (!) to pretty decent upscaling of older 480/720/1080p content I had knocking around. Plex server running sweet too with content from LAN and a USB HDD. New remote is fantastic.

Only thing it can't do is YouTube HDR, but that's not any great loss to be honest.

Soldato
Got my new Shield Pro today and it's great. Speedy little thing, handled everything I've thrown at it so far from 4k HDR/DV Atmos remux streaming over WiFi (!) to pretty decent upscaling of older 480/720/1080p content I had knocking around. Plex server running sweet too with content from LAN and a USB HDD. New remote is fantastic.

Only thing it can't do is YouTube HDR, but that's not any great loss to be honest.
Great. Someone to poke questions at :D

What TV do you have? Reports of Netflix/DV not working too well with LG TV's due to Netflix needing 60hz for 4k but LG TV's can only do DV at 30hz or something. Won't be an issue for me if this is restricted to (some) LG TV's.

Can you confirm that Netflix/Amazon Video is doing DV/HDR with proper colourspace and refresh rates for media? ie: Playback is not a judder fest.

Since you are using Plex I assume Kodi will run just fine but if you could take some time to install Kodi and confirm refresh rate switching, colourspace switching etc that would be fab :)

Soldato
Great. Someone to poke questions at :D

What TV do you have? Reports of Netflix/DV not working too well with LG TV's due to Netflix needing 60hz for 4k but LG TV's can only do DV at 30hz or something. Won't be an issue for me if this is restricted to (some) LG TV's.

Can you confirm that Netflix/Amazon Video is doing DV/HDR with proper colourspace and refresh rates for media? ie: Playback is not a judder fest.

Since you are using Plex I assume Kodi will run just fine but if you could take some time to install Kodi and confirm refresh rate switching, colourspace switching etc that would be fab :)

I've a LG 49UH850V and a Hisense H55B7500. DV from Netflix and others work well at 60hz on both TV's.

Netflix and Amazon play back HDR at 2160p30 as far as I know. Not checked to be honest. Colourspace is spot on, looks good. If it judders it's your TV!

Kodi runs great and auto switches refresh correctly to 1080p24, etc.

EDIT: My LG TV does seem a bit funny with DV at anything but 24hz, sometimes it accepts the signal other times it doesn't. That's down to the TV though, not the Shield.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a thread revival but I’ve finally stood down my Nvidia shield TV. Had it since launch and it’s sterling job since then.

I’ve replaced it with a Vero 4K + which arrived yesterday. Initial thoughts weren’t overwhelming positive. The packaging felt a bit cheap, as does the device. It’s tiny as well. Plugged it in. Booted in a flash and setup was easy. Added all my films and tv series from my NAS. All good.

The OSMC skin that it boots with looks a bit naff as well. But it’s easily replaced.

the important bit. It plays everything flawlessly. The PQ seems noticeably better than the shield and HDR films finally look right. No longer overly dark.

I’ve kept the shield as it plugged in next to the NAS in the office as I’m just using it for a Plex server now for the kids TV upstairs.

Can heartily recommend the vero 4K + though. Great little device with fantastic PQ.

Last edited:
Soldato
got 2 shield tv boxes now. Work fantastic. Best part is i dont have to rely on dlna transcoders like plex and serviio etc since it connects directly to windows shared drives and folders so you get full quality without transcoders being involved. Kodi for playback.
My 2nd shield was a 2015 pro 500gb hdd one which i swapped out the drive for a old 60gb ssd. Now its far faster than the 2017 16gb one i got.
Newest 2019 shields were disappointing. Dont get why nvidia stuck with tegra x1 when they have 3 newer generations of tegra already, the x2, xavier and now orin.
Worst part is they charge more for the newer units than old ones which included gamepad

Soldato
Happy with my alfawise s912 box. Works well, about £60, octo core. Haven't tried 4k or HDR or if it does framerate changing going from 24, 50, and 60hz, but seems ok all round for the price

Back
Top Bottom