New Nvidia Shield pro

Associate
I was really hoping it would play YouTube HDR content but sadly it's still missing.

The old 2017 version is still plenty fast for my streaming needs, plus come black Friday, there will likely be some bargains to be had. Shame really, was looking forward to a new version.

Associate
I was really hoping it would play YouTube HDR content but sadly it's still missing.

The old 2017 version is still plenty fast for my streaming needs, plus come black Friday, there will likely be some bargains to be had. Shame really, was looking forward to a new version.

Nvidia did try applying the VP9 Profile 2 to it by all accounts but as Google is moving onto the new AV1 codec they decided to stop work on it.

Associate
I'm thinking of getting a pro, for some game streaming but if I have a share on my NAS, synology, can it access it and play the videos directly, or does it need plex setup on the nas and the shield? My nas can'y do plex server/encoding. Sont mind if it requires kodi just really want the 4k hdr to my oled.

Associate

This guy has reported both boxes are near enough identical.

Shame might as well of just bought 2017 ver.

Oh well still excited to get my hands on it. :D

Associate
It's the way Amazon group their items and reviews and reuse listings (in this case, the controller). Most of the reviews aren't even for that product.
Click on "See all 49 customer reviews" then where it says "All Formats" with a dropdown, select show only reviews for the Shield TV Pro and you'll see there are zero reviews

Associate
It's the way Amazon group their items and reviews. Most of the reviews aren't even for that product.
Click on "See all 49 customer reviews" then where it says "All Formats" with a dropdown, select show only reviews for the Shield TV Pro and you'll see there are zero reviews

Oh I see. Thanks for your reply mate. I will order one from there then. ;)

Associate
What controller are you all going to use? I have read some pretty bad reviews of the Nvidia controllers build quality. I may just use my wireless Xbox controller if it will work. Was also thinking of trying Steam's controller but they seem to have some cheap plastic parts and the shoulder buttons are breaking. :/

Soldato
Got my nvidia shield 2019 non pro model last night,i don't care how it looks it is hidden away behind my centre speaker.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't understand why current Shield users can't get an update that supports Dolby Vision.

Especially when the new and last generation specs are so similar.

I for one won't be shelling out £200 for DV and a slightly better remote.

Soldato
I got one last night and I am very happy with it, a nice upgrade from the Fire TV I had previously.

Turning on the CEC settings resulted in some fun, I didn't notice one of the setting was to "turn tv to the shield tv input" and it had this set to HDMI1, but my Shield was connected to HDMI2. So whenever I turned the shield on, it would show up then change the source to HDMI1. If you went back onto HDMI2 as soon as you did anything it would change the source again.

Good fun, had me confused for a while.

Soldato
Don't understand why current Shield users can't get an update that supports Dolby Vision.

Especially when the new and last generation specs are so similar.

I for one won't be shelling out £200 for DV and a slightly better remote.

I'm sure someone would be able to mod the software in a few weeks to support it.

Soldato
I'm sure someone would be able to mod the software in a few weeks to support it.

I wouldn't hold your breath. DV requires a licence =£££

Just because the machine can technically do it, doesn't mean they will add an update to support it. Why update an older product to support a feature when the new one does it??? Impacts on sales.

Prime example the Panasonic ub900. Top of the range player on release. Then the ub820 came out. The Ub900 could have easily been updated to play DV. But then that would have have a negetive affect on the newer model.

Back
Top Bottom