• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

OcUK Staff
L3sta was dealing with it on the pre sales customer service thread.

Thread was called

If this is going to be messed with again please can someone update me in a timely manner so I can update (the other) order as I said in that thread, I don't want to end up with 2 of these chips... One way or the other please can this be resolved this AM as it should not be so difficult.

Please cancel order OC365699*

So just to be clear do you want me to get it price matched or cancelled?

Soldato
OP
If you can price match (as I said all along) fine - I would like the order..... I am happy (or was) to pay 10 quid over.... The price match was not my idea... If you cant price match then please cancel.... Also if you can price match could I have it delivered tomorrow (it will need rescheduling again) Or monday...

Thanks for sorting this Gibbo with some common sense.

Associate
from what I'm hearing the 9900ks is more stable with higher memory clocks than the k - as in you can push your memory speeds higher with the ks

so there is definitely extra performance to be gained beyond what reviewers showed

I believe not, this is my new D stepping R0 revision 9900K, the same stepping and revision as the KS, and the IMC on this chip is very strong, runs 4600 and 48 cache without breaking a sweat. EUiR8GL.jpg

Soldato
It's supposed to be either 10nm or 7nm. Either Golden Cove or Ocean cove is when they move away from the Core architecture, either way current rumours saying Golden Cove is supposedly the next Sandy Bridge. But then i heard similar things about Ocean Cove before so, who knows.
Sunny Cove is the new architecture, replacing Skylake. It does not represent a move away from "Core", which has been the basis of Intel's chips since 2006, although I would think the architectures are unrecognisable by now and the only similarity is the product names. The codename for the chips is still Ice Lake though...it's pretty confusing because until Skylake a generation's core and codename were the same, e.g. Sandy Bridge was based on the Sandy Bridge core. But now, we have Skylake, Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Skylake-X, Cascade Lake, Coffee Lake Refresh, etc. all based on the Skylake core.

Anyway, Sunny Cove already exists in mobile Ice Lake chips using 10nm. It's just a matter of when they are suitable (i.e. can clock fast enough) to outperform Coffee Lake Refresh on desktop. Intel hopes 2020.

Soldato
and the IMC on this chip is very strong, runs 4600 and 48 cache without breaking a sweat.

Is there really any point in overclocking the North Bridge past its stock 4300? I've tried it at 4600 and I'll be dammed if i could see any difference whatsoever in any benchmark scores.

Associate
Is there really any point in overclocking the North Bridge past its stock 4300? I've tried it at 4600 and I'll be dammed if i could see any difference whatsoever in any benchmark scores.
Not really, just for memory benchmarks to be honest. Only strong IMC's will be able to run high cache and ram frequency.

Permabanned
I dont think there is any point in overclocking anything way tech is going. AMD... Runs chips at max stable they can out of box. This intel chip is same.

We overclock for fun of ding it i guess there is no massive gains like we used to get 10 years ago :(
Cant even edit and flash bioses on gpus anymore :(

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Overclocking used to be great back in the day - buy lower end sku and get the performance of ones costing nearly twice the price.

Yup, those were the days. You just can't do that anymore unfortunately. It's why I lost interest in overclocking, I'm only interested if I can get a part for cheap and make it as fast as one twice it's price, you just can't beat that feeling.

Man of Honour
I dont think there is any point in overclocking anything way tech is going. AMD... Runs chips at max stable they can out of box. This intel chip is same.

We overclock for fun of ding it i guess there is no massive gains like we used to get 10 years ago :(
Cant even edit and flash bioses on gpus anymore :(

That second part.. you can certainly edit and flash GPU bios files, at least for AMD gpus you can. This is how you make a little rx550 a mini hashing monster. Nearly 18mh/s on eth for a cheap gpu if you dont mind spending ages messing around modding and flashing cards. Vega can also be flashed as can Navi.

Associate
Mine has arrived!! :D

I got it from Overlockers in the end as the other place messed me about, said it was in stock and I would be getting it next day and then turned around and said it will be the 8th at the earliest, so I cancelled and got it from here

Associate
For 9900ks owners:

Keep in mind that's there is a fair bit tuning to be done beyond the what you see in the reviews. Reviewers are generally pressed for time so they gotta get through their suite of tests. However, when you have you own setup and plenty of time for tinkering, I'd suggest the following: get you memory hand tuned on secondary and tertiary timings and get your uncore up.

This is my daily stable: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/305981997816348683/639739115864064000/unknown.png

Geekbench 4 is really good as it scales nicely with core, mem and uncore. https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14876496

Use the reviewer numbers as a starting point to make sure everything is working as it should in stock config. Then it's about how much you enjoy tinkering.

Most 9900k CPU's cant be cooled after around 5.1GHz, so RAM is were you want the most overclocking headroom. That looks like a gold sample, top >99 percentile.

Geekbench 4 Maximum Frequency 5.00 GHz
So its SSSE 5.2GHz but AVX 5GHz?
Almost all 9900k's don't do that kind of overclock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom