• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

Soldato
Golden Cove, not Sunny Cove. Should hopefully bring the fight to Zen 4.

Hit up Moore's Law Is Dead's "Whispers of Golden Cove" video on YouTube for some gossip.
Sunny Cove isn't out yet on desktop and Willow Cove comes before Golden Cove, so it might not even be ready in time for Zen 4.

Associate
Most 9900k CPU's cant be cooled after around 5.1GHz, so RAM is were you want the most overclocking headroom. That looks like a gold sample, top >99 percentile.

Geekbench 4 Maximum Frequency 5.00 GHz
So its SSSE 5.2GHz but AVX 5GHz?
Almost all 9900k's don't do that kind of overclock.

I don't run an AVX offset. It's true 5.2ghz and 48x core. Yes, mine is a golden sample but I expect many of the KS chips will fall within this range. Running offset voltage on a GB board is a nice way to reduce your load voltage (20-40mv which is a lot) compared to fixed but takes longer to tune. I'm on a 360mm AIO.

I have all power savings enabled also since I leave it on 24/7 so I pull as low as 3w.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sunny Cove isn't out yet on desktop and Willow Cove comes before Golden Cove, so it might not even be ready in time for Zen 4.
Aye. Intel are saying 16 months. Remains to be seen what happens.

That being said, Tom in the video suggests that Intel are pushing for a node-agnostic design, so they're able to use whatever they have to build chips. So for example they could slap the desktop version on 14nm++++++++++ where efficiency isn't much of a concern if yields or demand for their 10nm/7nm are still lacking. To that end, the design could be finished by then and a mixture of nodes are used to get the products out.

We shall see.

Soldato
So.....scores on the doors. 9900K for £450 or 9900KS for £550. Is it worth the extra £100 for anything other than benchmarking?
Must admit if I didn't already have a 9900K but had a Z390 board and wanted to upgrade from a lower end chip I'd probably just splash out the extra £100. IMO it's more for the extreme bunch really. I'd just run it stock :p.
They'll likely retain a premium when it comes to selling on too. Intel chips seem to have strong "used" demand.

Back
Top Bottom