Opinions on the "small SUV" type cars?

Soldato
My wife is looking at getting a new car to replace her Renault Kadjar and quite likes the look of the Renault Captur.

I've been doing some reading and in the similar bracket of small SUV's there is the Seat Arona, Mazda CX-3 and Skoda Karoq - has anyone got any experience of any vehicles in this class and can recommend anything?

Caporegime
As usual, you are wrong.

Our Yeti has more boot space than the comparable hatch, more versatile seating arrangements, and seemingly more space IN the cabin.

You've got a single example. Look at the juke as another and compare that to a standard hatch with the same external dimensions.

Soldato
Jacked up hackbacks, with less room than a normal hatchback :p

They are fashion items. Not functional.
Audi Q3 hase 80l more than the A3.
Fasion items? but a lot of people feel safer and hence more confident in an SUV.
Plus it all depends where you are driving, living with todays local roads is heaven in an SUV.
Audi Q2 or VW T-Roc would be worth a look depending on budget.
Also the new Subaru XV looks good.
Andi.

Associate
Having been looking at these for a while (I've got a thread hanging around on premium small SUVs) I have to say if you can stomach the extra cost look at a cateory higher. The CX-3 for example, when you look at the figures it just makes more sense to go and get a CX-5.

None of the smaller SUVs appealed felt worth the premium on a regular hatch if I'm totally honest.

Caporegime
Fasion items? but a lot of people feel safer and hence more confident in an SUV.
Plus it all depends where you are driving, living with todays local roads is heaven in an SUV.
Andi.

It's also nearly a foot longer and 4 inches wider...

The A3 also has more space in the front for the driver and passenger than the Q3.

Last edited:
Soldato
Andi.

Feel safer, but not actually safer.

Soldato
side impact they are as the sill does more work, front offset crash the wheel is lower compared to body so you get less footwell intrusion.

next

Side impact they are much more likely to roll. If you hit a lower car (or barrier) at angle they will also roll...

Quite a few of the really bad accidents on motorways are SUVs which have gone over at high speed.

Soldato
Roll is not a bad way to spend energy if you have curtain airbags anyway. One the backup structure locks out as energy absorption has completed the alternative is a massive peak g load where internal injuries happen or you allow continue energy absorption by letting the sill and door bend more! No thanks.

Soldato
A roll is the worst type of crash to have. Unless you have a helmet and harness. At high speed you're pretty much ******.

Problem is SUVs are tall so most impact energy is going to lift the car rather than push it.

Caporegime
side impact they are as the sill does more work, front offset crash the wheel is lower compared to body so you get less footwell intrusion.

next

I'm sure when I last looked at the stats that they're safer in a two vehicle collision vs smaller cars but more dangerous in single vehicle collisions from the increased chance of roll.
This is borne out by the ncap test scores where I think only 2/10 of the safest cars are suvs. The top 3 are hatches from memory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom