Backlight bleed or glow?

Soldato
New gaming laptop purchased from OCUK (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/hp-o...c-intel-i7-9750h-gaming-laptop-lt-04f-hp.html), received yesterday.

Is this Backlight bleed or IPS glow, and is it bad enough to warrant a return?

DSC_0442.JPG

I can appreciate it is probably not the worst and camera makes it look a little bit worse to be fair but it is somewhat noticeable, only in that bottom right corner.

Can items be returned also if using Paypal Credit still?

Thanks

Associate
Backlight bleed, I would say.
Few months ago went into the journey, or should say adventure, of replacing a few years old IPS monitor.
From VA, to IPS to TN, 4k, 2k and Full HD. 7 or 8 attempts and was luck enough to get a Dell TN which just required a profile and few other adjustments.
I would try to get a replacement. Specially as it would bother you when playing in the dark.
Screen uniformity won't be such an issue, if not a very bad one, but the glow at the corners would annoy me badly.

Soldato
OP
Damn that is a lot of tries, historically I have bad luck with anything related to screens, wish QC was better considering the amounts of money paid it should not be unrealistic to expect a perfect screen.

Well from what I can gather ips glow changes depending on the angle you look at it? Im sure this is backlight bleed even if not as extreme as many cases it is visible from all angles, theres some slightly to the lower left and top right aswell although not as prominent.

I'll see if I can return.

Thanks

OcUK Staff
That doesn't look that bad to me. Some ips glow is to be expected. You might find you recieve worse in return.

Your photo makes it look worse than it is. Taking high iso photos in the dark I can make a good screen look bad....

Soldato
OP
It isn't glow, it is back-light bleed as it appears white and doesn't change appearance whatever angle you look at it.

However you are true in some regard it is not the worst case I've seen but £2k is a lot of money and potentially it could get worse over time.

Overclockers top notch service as always though have told me I can return it.

Associate
As I said, I wouldn't mind some mild display uniformity issues, or the need to apply a profile and few adjusts (as my actual monitor required).
Some issues are down to the display technology.
VA, TN or IPS, all have good ad bad points, but the issue you're showing may or may not be present, so I would try to get a replacement, and hopefully, a good unit or at least better than the one you have, the reason? Because even if there's other minor issues, during regular use you won't notice, or would learn to ignore, but the issue you have will always be a thorn when playing or watching movies with reduced ambient light.

Soldato
That doesn't look that bad to me. Some ips glow is to be expected. You might find you recieve worse in return.

Your photo makes it look worse than it is. Taking high iso photos in the dark I can make a good screen look bad....

I would not accept a monitor with that much backlight bleed. Return it for a refund.

Back
Top Bottom