Can anybody recommend a small tripod for a dslr camera

Associate
Hi, I made the mistake of buying a gorillapod tripod and lovely as it is its no good for my camera when it has an external flash fitted and a heavy macro lens.It just wont stay still. I like the gorillapods funny legs though.(tempted to pick up the right size camera that fits it.)

Can anybody recommend anything decent, preferably with a ball head and around £100 to £150.It has to be small and stable, something that I can just plonk down with no faffing about.

Associate
OP
this is not really what you are describing in a way, but cheaper, just throwing it in there in case you haven't seen https://www.3leggedthing.com/docz2 small, rock solid, could put a ball head on there although it has a limited ball there already. just doesn't have the funny legs, it's flipping solid though can hold 20KG. :cool:

It's not bad at £44. Handy it being a base for a mono pod.

Soldato
this is not really what you are describing in a way, but cheaper, just throwing it in there in case you haven't seen https://www.3leggedthing.com/docz2 small, rock solid, could put a ball head on there although it has a limited ball there already. just doesn't have the funny legs, it's flipping solid though can hold 20KG. :cool:
That looks quite interesting. Especially for areas with limited space. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it without my hand permanently around the camera though.

I've got a three Legged Thing (Punkz) with a leg that doubles as a mono pod that this will presumably cater for (if I have read the description correctly).

Associate
That looks quite interesting. Especially for areas with limited space. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it without my hand permanently around the camera though.

I've got a three Legged Thing (Punkz) with a leg that doubles as a mono pod that this will presumably cater for (if I have read the description correctly).

yes you have read right, i have a Leo and use it with the leg you can remove.

regarding your first point, it would be reasonably hard to lock the ball at an angle sufficiently i reckon, depending on what gear is attached. if you wanted to lock it straight vertically then that's no problem and it would not move a mm at all, it gets secured in place by the orange ring. so as you might expect, it would be better with a ball head attached, assume that you would have one with the Punkz anyway.

happy to load one up with some gear.

/edit, actually just tried it, 5D w/ 100-400 attached = 2.6Kg

It's more stable without a ball head attached (lower down), it never tips over, but less flexible with positioning (less tilt, lower to floor cuts down on angle the lens can point down).

With the ball head you have the greater flexibility of angles, but if i put it in portrait orientation, it will tip over. can test with other lenses if interested.

Last edited:
Soldato

regarding your first point, it would be reasonably hard to lock the ball at an angle sufficiently i reckon, depending on what gear is attached. if you wanted to lock it straight vertically then that's no problem and it would not move a mm at all, it gets secured in place by the orange ring. so as you might expect, it would be better with a ball head attached, assume that you would have one with the Punkz anyway.

I'm certainly going to look at this for convenience. Just found a few demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3uNIht0kYo

Last edited:
Soldato

/edit, actually just tried it, 5D w/ 100-400 attached = 2.6Kg

It's more stable without a ball head attached (lower down), it never tips over, but less flexible with positioning (less tilt, lower to floor cuts down on angle the lens can point down).

With the ball head you have the greater flexibility of angles, but if i put it in portrait orientation, it will tip over. can test with other lenses if interested.

Currently having difficulty making my mind up between the Alan & the Trent. When you said it would tilt in portrait mode, is that because you are using the Leo? I'm wondering if you would have the same issue with either the Alan or the Trent? I've noticed the mono pod attachment on my Three Legged Thing (Punks) doesn't look anywhere near as solid. Max load on the Trent is 30 kg 50:1

Last edited:
Associate
It was when using just using a ball head attached directly to the Docz. sorry if i explained badly, was trying to explain in regards to a mini setup to replace the gorillapod in the OP.

I would never step away from the cam if i was using a monopod+docz combo using the Leo - at full height anyway, it's too lightweight for sure, i guess this is the info you were looking for all along :/
I guess from your point of view, my info just doesn't add up at all :D

Back
Top Bottom