Insurance question by an idiot

Soldato
Earlier this year I had to use my windscreen cover and get a replacement.

My insurance is up for renewal in the new year.

Does the windscreen claim mean I have to declare a non-fault claim or is it separate?

Never needed to claim for windscreen before so I haven't a clue.

Soldato
Yes, ask total strangers on the Internet that don't know who you are insured with and haven't read your insurance policy, instead of phoning your insurance company....

Soldato
In all the policies Ive had, claiming on your windscreen cover doesnt touch your no claims and doesnt count as an accident claim. That said, that doesnt mean that all policies are the same.

Soldato
You have to declare it, but it's never affected the price and doesn't count against your no claims in my experience.

Soldato
When applying for insurance just read what the form asks for - in my experience, most will ask about previous claims including window replacements.

Soldato
OP
Yes, ask total strangers on the Internet that don't know who you are insured with and haven't read your insurance policy, instead of phoning your insurance company....

I asked on the Internet, a resource of information, as not to potentially put my foot in it.

Unfortunately the Internet is also full of keyboard warrior muppets that wouldn't say boo to a goose IRL but ya know...

Associate
My understanding, it's considered a claim again your insurance and should be declared!

From personal experience, it doesn't seem to make any difference to quotes.

Soldato
I asked on the Internet, a resource of information, as not to potentially put my foot in it.

Unfortunately the Internet is also full of keyboard warrior muppets that wouldn't say boo to a goose IRL but ya know...

Yes you are so completely right, makes way more sense to ask the Internet, than pick up a phone, and you have already said you are an idiot, so enough said really

Associate
Some cheaper car insurance companies don't give you a years no claims bonus if you have made a windscreen claim. Swift Cover is one of them or used to be when I last checked.

Soldato
You do need to declare it, but as said, it's highly unlikely to affect your premium. Every quote form I've ever filled out (anecdotal, true) gave Windscreen as an option when declaring claims.

It will probably start to make a difference if you make an abnormal number of windscreen claims with respect to your mileage (as the maximum value of any one windscreen claim is relatively low, the thing that matters most is the frequency of losses).

Caporegime
In all the policies Ive had, claiming on your windscreen cover doesnt touch your no claims and doesnt count as an accident claim. That said, that doesnt mean that all policies are the same.
Funny how when I claimed a windscreen on M&S insurance a few yrs back. I asked at the time of taking out the insurance policy that should I need to make a claim with n my windscreen, will it affect my renewal next year?? Was told categorically that no it wouldn’t.
Anyhow as luck would have it, 6 mths later the windscreen got a crack so had to claim for a replacement. All done without minimum fuss.
Following year my renewal quote comes up and it goes up by £800. So I call them to query it and they said I made a claim. I said the only claim I made was for a windscreen, which I was told would not affect my renewal. They said no the person who told you that was wrong.
Anyhow told them to sling their hook and went to another company where it was cheaper than my previous policy.
So yeh just make sure what they tell you is the truth.

Back
Top Bottom