Car recommendations

Associate
Hey y’all. I’ve recently changed jobs, and gone from a daily commute of 40 miles to one of 4 miles. This has destroyed the efficiency of my Diesel Mondeo, and I’m now only getting 28 mpg. The fact that’s is now 11 years old, and not really suited to such short mileages, means it’s time to start looking for a newer car. The intention is to replace it when I pass my probation period.

So looking for suggestions for a family car, just the one child who is now 3, so less need for space for prams, but will still need space for packing up for family holidays. Budget is around £17k, it will have to be petrol or hybrid (I’m not comfortable with pure electric yet). So looking for recommendations. Been considering a Mercedes c350e because I might be one the few people who can benefit from the small battery.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get an almost new Auris hybrid for less than that. Or a Prius if you don't mind looking like an uber driver. The CT200h is a nicer version of it though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Lol yea good alternative to a C Class Mercedes. Said nobody ever.
Yeah, I'm getting on a bit, but not quite ready for a retirement car yet.

The 530e looks nice, and whilst I could flex the budget that's just a bit too much. Truthfully the car doesn't have to be hybrid, just not diesel. I'd also prefer a bit more acceleration than the Mondeo has, whilst still being comfortable when I do long journeys.

The Merc is tempting because it's PHEV; most, if not all, of my daily driving could be covered by the battery. And it looks like a nicer place to be that the Prius PHEV.

Associate
New Corolla is nice, but will be a while to drop to your budget.
I old avoid the Lexus CT. Poor steering and harsh suspension.
For such low mileage, a self charging hybrid may be bad, as many owners face problems as the car don't run long enough to charge the system.
I would go for a petrol, plain petrol. You may get a decent car.
And for that mileage, mpg won't be a major concern.
From Seat/Skoda/Audi/VW 2.0 or the previous 1.8, Mazda 2.0 NA, etc.

Back
Top Bottom