Associate
Hi,

I upgraded from Upgraded from GTX 1080 to RTX 2080ti No Performance Increase,

In fact the performance was even worse? I don't understand

Is it because of my CPU is weak? My system specs are as follows

16GB DDR3 RAM
I7 4790 (NON K)
750 Corsair PSU

Does anybody have any ideas? is the card dodgey? Its a GIGABYTE OC 2080TI, it also runs a lot warmer than my GTX 1080 which is worrying? At around 85 degrees while bench marking

I should still get more FPS? how much more am I expecting with my current CPU I know its old

The card also froze and stutterd a lot so I put my old 1080 in and its fine

Please can you help me thanks!!

Soldato
Its will be both really a non K Intel chip is going to bottleneck that card somewhat but at the same time it sounds like you have faulty card.

Is there any background process that are running while you game, like anti virus?

I would do a fresh install of Windows on another hard drive for testing purpose.

when you game what cpu usage are you getting?

It also looks like your card is reducing frequency to prevent overheating. 85C is really hot and I would look to adding some additional case fans. Although nvidia says anything under 89 is fine, I would not like to run a card more than 80C if possible. I would also run a really aggressive fan profile on the GPU like max 100% at over 75C and see if that helps, but I would really look to get some extra pc case fans. These build up heat fast in your case if there is inadequate exhaust fans to take this heat out. My ex 2080ti aorus killed one if my nvme drives by overheating it.

Download a monitoring program like msi after burner and look at your temp, gpu and cup usage and temps with also gpu frequency and also cup frequency. You can better analyse the situation then.

Last edited:
Soldato
This would certainly indicate your case airflow isn;t great. What case do you have and what's your fan setup?

Its will be both really a non K Intel chip is going to bottleneck that card somewhat but at the same time it sounds like you have faulty card.

*snip*

It also looks like your card is reducing frequency to prevent overheating. 85C is really hot and I would look to adding some additional case fans. Although nvidia says anything under 89 is fine, I would not like to run a card more than 80C if possible. I would also run a really aggressive fan profile on the GPU like max 100% at over 75C and see if that helps, but I would really look to get some extra pc case fans. These build up heat fast in your case if there is inadequate exhaust fans to take this heat out. My ex 2080ti aorus killed one if my nvme drives by overheating it.

Download a monitoring program like msi after burner and look at your temp, gpu and cup usage and temps with also gpu frequency and also cup frequency. You can better analyse the situation then.

This really, sums it all up to be honest.

Caporegime
I know it's too late but youd have been better going to something like a 2070 Super and plowing the extra cash into a new CPU/mobo/RAM.

What resolution are you gaming at?

Associate
OP
I know it's too late but youd have been better going to something like a 2070 Super and plowing the extra cash into a new CPU/mobo/RAM.

What resolution are you gaming at?

1440p i am seeing cool temps at 30 degrees with the fan at 100 so over heating isnt the problem

I cant even get above 60 fps on the new cod and its lagging I think the card is faulty?

Even though I have a 4790 I should still see a huge fps increase?

Associate
OP

Is there any background process that are running while you game, like anti virus?

I would do a fresh install of Windows on another hard drive for testing purpose.

when you game what cpu usage are you getting?

thamks

I should still see quite a huge fps increase? with a 2080ti or not really because of my CPU bottleneck. Also after double checking ive put the fan speed at 100 and am seeing 35 degrees while call of duty is running. However the game is that laggy its unplayable I think the card is broken?

In after bruner I am seeing huge mem clock while call of duty is running and it often spikes while idle

Associate
OP
the ther
This would certainly indicate your case airflow isn;t great. What case do you have and what's your fan setup?

This really, sums it all up to be honest.

Adter double cheking the temps are fine? I think the card is broken as games stuter and are unplayable at like 2-5 fps

Soldato
Change pcie slot and also change power connectors and the try again.

I would also advise a fresh install of Windows and if that don't fix problem then RMA the card.

I f purely gaming with no streaming the the 3600x is better than 2700x, also if you can stretch to 3700x even better but your current cpu is big bottleneck

Soldato
CPU bottleneck for sure. I tried to run sli 980ti's on a 3570K and there was little to no increase in fps and ontop of that, boh gpu's were not getting utilised fully. I took a different route and put money towards upgrading, cpu, mobo, ram and sold my old gear to cover some of the upgrade cost. After the upgrade my 980ti's ran at 90%+ at all times while in game. Sold those now for a 2070 super and its even better haha.

I would seriously consider upgrading your main components to make use of all that gpu power tbh.

Man of Honour
At 1440p you should be seeing some increase even with a Haswell cpu as the demand is more on the GPU than the CPU.

It's a bit of a long shot but are you on the latest motherboard bios as there may be some motherboard/GPU compatibility problem going on here. Remember that flashing the bios will reset the settings so any bios changes that you have made write down before flashing.

Another thing you can try is to power the card from two seperate pci-e leads and not the daisy chained plugs on a single lead. Doing it this way has fixed similar problems on other high powered cards.

Associate
Bit of a pointless upgrade if you ask me. I bought a 2080ti 2 weeks ago and sent it back for the exact same reasons, no benefit. If you game at 1440p a single 1080ti is plenty. I use 2 x 1080ti but a single 1080ti is plenty from my experience. The RTX cards offer nothing, I for one will not be buying an RTX card again until they know how to use the tech properly, 2000 series is certainly not for me.

Soldato
Bit of a pointless upgrade if you ask me. I bought a 2080ti 2 weeks ago and sent it back for the exact same reasons, no benefit. If you game at 1440p a single 1080ti is plenty. I use 2 x 1080ti but a single 1080ti is plenty from my experience. The RTX cards offer nothing, I for one will not be buying an RTX card again until they know how to use the tech properly, 2000 series is certainly not for me.

They offer a performance boost over older gen cards.

Associate
As already mentioned I'd do a fresh install with the latest drivers as moving from one card to another even if it should be fine in theory can often cause problems. Also make sure your PSU is working correctly. I'd want to do these two things before an RMA on the card just to make sure.

Permabanned
Once upon a time I did a GPU upgrade and seen nothing in fact it could have been slower, nothing I did worked with driver cleaners/sweeper etc and in the end it took a fresh Windows install to fix.

Not sure how but Windows can be that way sometimes nut this was probably XP days.

Pop in a spare SSD/HDD and do a quick bare Windows and driver install and see if any better?

Back
Top Bottom